A Radiant Butterfly ?

Chapter 3

Image

"Hey I'm here to see Kat." Someone said.

I looked up to see another customer. "Oh hey. You're Jerry right?" I asked as I found the appointment on the calendar I made on my macbook.

"Yep!" He said.

"Hey Jerry!" Kat said as she made her way to the front desk.

"Hey Kat." Jerry said with a smile.

"Well I'm just about ready for you. You can go ahead into my station, it's over there." Kat said as she pointed in the direction of her station. Then her attention fell on me. "Hey! Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?"

"What do you mean? Aren't I always quiet?" I asked I as continued typing away on my computer.

"What'r you looking at? PORN!?" She joked as she hunched over me to look at the screen. She quit laughing for a bit when she saw what I was searching for. "Apartments?"

"Yeah. . ."

"But, why?"

"I'll tell you later." I looked up at her. "You have another appointment in two hours." I reminded her.

"Oh yeah! Okay, we'll talk later, kay." She said as she patted my shoulder and walked back to her station where Jerry waited.

---------------------------------
When time came to go home I stayed after with Kat as usual. As I shut down my computer, Corey came out of the back room with a smile on his face.

"Night pretty lady!" He told me as he walked past my desk with a bunch of flowers in his hand. I assumed they were for his wife.

"Nighty night Corey. Tell the esposa I said 'Hi' " I told him. Corey had recently asked me to drop off some supplies at his house about a week ago and he also invited me for dinner and I got to meet his beautiful wife and their three adorable kids.

"Alrighty!" He smiled. "Hey, -"

"Yeah?" I said as I looked up at him.

"Kat mentioned something about you looking for an apartment?" He asked.

"Uh, yeah. . ."

"Why? What's wrong with the place you're in right now?" He asked as he rested the flowers down on the desk in front of me.

"Yeah! What's wrong with it?" Kat joined in the conversation as she continued her way in our direction with her coat and keys in hand.

"Nothing's wrong with it. ... I love it!" I old them truthfully.

"Well why move?" Kat asked slinging her arm over me.

"I don't want to move. I mean, it's in good condition, it's a good distance from here and I was looking forward to fixing it up. . .but the landlord had to sell it and I gotta move out in two weeks."

"What?" Kat said surprised.

"Yeahh-" I confirmed.

"That sucks! You just moved in." Corey said with a similar expression as Kat.

"I know. So I'm looking for another place every chance I get." I told them as I swung my sweater around my back.

"Aww Magda." Kat hugged me.

"It's not biggy." I flipped my hand.

"No biggy? How long were you informed?" She asked.

"About two days now." I told her.

"That explains why you haven't been so cheery lately." Corey said.

"I've been acting different?" I asked unaware.

"Well you've kind of been a zombie. Not a total wacko but a little distracted." He said.

"Oh. . .sorry." I apologized.

"Don't be! We were just worried about you is all." Corey assured me.

"Aw dude I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'm so gonna help you find an apartment." Kat offered.

"That's nice of you really. But I've checked for all the ones around here or at least close enough to the shop and I can't find any. I'll even settling for a shit hole. . . but I can't find anything." I told them truthfully.

Corey sighed. "Well kiddo, I wish you the best on your search. I'll see what I can do to help out."

I smiled at him. "Thanks Corey."

He winked at me as he grabbed his bouquet. "You girls ready?" He asked as Kat threw her coat on.

"Yup, you ready?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I smiled.

After we all closed up the shop we went our separate ways.

When I drove into my parking space one my neighbors just happen to be leaving. She's a very nice woman. She has a daughter and they both live two doors down from mine.

"Hi Mrs. Hillig." I greeted her.

"Hi Sweetie. Did you find a place yet?" She asked.

"Unfortunately no. . ."

"Oh well. . . this just makes it even harder to tell you this." She said.

"Tell me what?" I asked.

"Um the buyer wants everyone out by Friday." She frowned.

"What?! I-I thought we had two weeks." I told her.

"Me to. Looks like things have changed. I found out this morning when I caught Mr. Douglas moving his things out of his apartment."

"And he didn't even bother to make an announcement about it? Cause I'm pretty sure he didn't" I asked in shock.

"I know- He should have. That man! He has some nerve to sell this building and to confirm us in such short time."

"It's criminal." I gasped.

"I agree."

"I don't know what to do. I don't have a place to go." I told her truthfully.

"Oh honey. Maddie and I were lucky to find a place in the central coast."

"Wow that's kind of far away."

"I know but we have no choice."

"Yeahhh" I agreed.

"Well honey I best be going now. Can't be late for my shift."

"Alright. Bye Mrs. Hillig." I said as I walked towards my door.

"Bye Sweetie. Good luck finding a place."

"Thanks. I need it." I told her before I closed my door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments :)
If anyone else likes this chapter please don't be shy to ask for more.