People Change

Invitation

“I have pizza!” Jimmy announced that night as he stepped into the bakery.

“It’s mine, bitch!” Lanie yelled from the kitchen.

“No way, hoe!” Sydney snapped back as they burst out of the swinging doors. Lanie shoved Sydney, but Sydney just reached forward and grabbed the string of Lanie’s apron, yanking her backwards. Lanie’s arms flailed as she fought for balance; Sydney leaped over the counter with the agility of a track star and skidded to a halt in front of an extremely amused Jimmy. She inhaled the smell wafting out of the box before happily pulling the lid open.

“Bitch, I hate you,” Lanie growled as she walked up beside Sydney, rubbing her neck where the string that Sydney yanked on had dug into her skin. Sydney grinned sheepishly around the bite of pepperoni pizza in her mouth.

“Hungry?” Jimmy asked, amused as his younger sister and her friend both chomped happily away on the pizza.

“Starving,” Sydney corrected. “We skipped supper because it was so busy.”

“Well, good thing I brought this then,” Jimmy said with a smile. “Chew, Lanie. I really don’t feel like performing the Heimlich on you.”

“Oh, shush,” Lanie teased, reaching over and flicking the tip of Jimmy’s nose. “You would love to squeeze my chest.”

“Sorry, I’ve got Leana for that,” Jimmy answered, walking over to one of the glass counters and putting the box of pizza down on it. “Can I steal a doughnut?”

“Yeah, they’ll be thrown out anyway,” Sydney said with a nod. Jimmy rubbed his hands together excitedly as he walked behind the display case and chose a doughnut from the very small selection left. He leaned against the counter as he ate it; the room was silent except for the sound of chewing for several minutes as the three of them enjoyed their food.

“So, Slim Jim, what did you come here for?” Lanie asked conversationally. She grabbed the trash can and started to throw away the leftover doughnuts and other pastry delights the bakery offered, along with the wax paper lining the inside of the counters to sit the doughnuts on.

“Well, I talked to Valary yesterday,” Jimmy answered. “You remember Valary DiBenedetto, right, Sydney?”

Sydney nodded.

“Matt and Val are hosting a Halloween Party this Saturday at their house. I asked Val if I could invite the two of you, and she said she would love for you to come. She wants to catch up with you, Syd,” Jimmy continued, his words directed more towards Sydney. “What do you say?”

“I’m all for it,” Lanie answered instantly. She paused to straighten up and look across the room at Sydney. “What about you?”

“I don’t know...” Sydney said slowly. “Jimmy, you know your friends and I don’t get along very well. What if they have the indecency to start something? I was on the receiving end of their torment all through high school: I really rather not have that happen again.”

“Then I will totally understand if you wish to leave,” Jimmy told Sydney. He stole another doughnut from the display case. “People change, Syds. You’ve changed, and they’ve changed. They’ve grown up. I’m sure they’ve put it behind them just as well as you have. Hell, they won’t even recognize you, I bet.”

“It’s easy for them to forget,” Sydney said. “They were the ones dishing it out, not receiving it. Maybe they haven’t changed. I know Brian hasn’t changed.”

“Don’t judge him quite yet,” Jimmy replied quickly, wagging a finger in Sydney’s direction. “He didn’t even know it was you who slapped him.”

“He told you about that?”

“Yeah, the first thing he said upon walking into the room was, ‘Customer service at that place sucks.’ He went on to explain everything that happened, and it was difficult for me to keep a straight face,” Jimmy explained.

“Did you tell him it was me?”

“No, I didn’t. I thought it would be better for you if he didn’t know anything about you,” Jimmy answered. “So, what do you say about going to the party?”

“I’ll make an appearance,” Sydney said reluctantly, closing the pizza box so Lanie and her could take it up to their flat when they closed up shop. “But if any of your jerk friends say one wrong thing, I’m gone.”

“Fair enough,” Jimmy replied. “Well, I better get going. Leana looked like she was about to rape me when I got home, so if I don’t return soon, she’ll really rape me the instant I step in that door.”

“Thanks for the image,” Sydney grumbled as Jimmy gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“No problem, sis,” Jimmy replied as he backed towards the door. “See you two on Saturday, then. Bye, Elena!”

“It’s LANIE!” Lanie screamed after Jimmy as he quickly left the bakery.
♠ ♠ ♠
You should all feel special.
Because, due to my 13 subscribers from just the FIRST CHAPTER, I have found the inspiration and confidence to continue this story to the best of my abilities. You see, if it wasn't recieved as well as it was, I would've probably just neglected this story. But now that I know I have readers to satisfy, I've really been planning this story out more.
So, congratulations! I have decided to keep this story!
Thank you to everyone who subscribed and commented, I'm sure you realize how much that helps.