People Change

Tulips

“Avenged Sevenfold made fun of you in high school?” Janice asked with wide eyes. Sydney nodded. “Oh my gosh, that is crazy! Horrible, but incredibly crazy at the same time!”

“Yep,” Sydney replied, swiping a cloth across the top of the glass counter. “Well, only Zacky, Brian, and Matt made fun of me. Jimmy’s my brother, but we were way close so he never picked on me, and they didn’t know Johnny very well then.”

When Sydney told Lanie about what had happened with Brian, Janice happened to overhear and asked Sydney to tell her the entire story. Apparently, Janice was a big fan of Avenged Sevenfold. Sydney said that she would, but only on a slow day. Well, that slow day had arrived, only a few days after Brian came to talk to Sydney in her apartment. Janice sat on a stool behind the other counter as Sydney stood cleaning the display cases.

“And now Brian wants to apologize?” Janice repeated for clarification.

“Yeah.”

“Lord, woman, why haven’t you forgiven him yet!?” Janice exclaimed.

“Because he was a complete and total asshole to me in high school,” Sydney answered calmly. “He made my life Hell in high school. I can’t just forgive him and forget about it all. I’m not a total ditz.”

“But he’s so hot!” Janice practically yelled. “Doesn’t his eyes make you just melt? I mean, I’ve never met the guy—I’ve only seen posters—but GOD DAMN IS HE SEXY!”

Sydney grinned at Janice’s enthusiasm. “I’ve heard he likes young girls. You know, barely legal chicks. You’re young and pretty. Maybe you should put the moves on him, not me.”

“Nope, taken,” Janice answered, raising her hand to show a sparkling diamond ring. Sydney’s eyes widened and she rushed over to Janice, which didn’t take long with her freakishly long legs. She seized her hand and studied the beautiful ring on Janice’s hand.

“When did this happen!?” Sydney exclaimed. She knew Janice had a boyfriend, but Janice didn’t talk about him much. He sometimes dropped her off at the bakery, though. Sydney didn’t know that he’d proposed, though.

“Two nights ago,” Janice answered with a grin.

“What! You kept it a secret this entire time?” Sydney yelled. Janice nodded with a proud smile. “Congratulations!”

“Thanks,” Janice answered.

“Flowers for a Miss...Sullivan?”

Janice and Sydney whirled around at an unfamiliar male voice. A florist’s delivery boy stood just inside the bakery, peering at a slip of paper and holding a vase of many tulips of many different colors in his hand. They hadn’t heard the bell above the door through their screaming and shrieking.

“Yes, that’s me,” Sydney answered, stepping out from behind the counter and composing herself again. The delivery boy looked up from the paper and smiled at Sydney, holding the vase of flowers out to her.

“Pretty flowers for a pretty lady,” he said flirtatiously. Sydney arched an eyebrow at the teenager in a blue jumpsuit as she carefully took the vase from his hand.

“Drop it, dude,” Sydney told him. “I’m way too old for you.”

The delivery boy just shrugged before disappearing back out of the bakery. Sydney walked over and placed the tulips down onto the counter. Her favorite flowers were tulips, and the only person she could think of that would send her tulips would be Jimmy. Maybe he planned on asking her to do something she really didn’t want to do, and sent the flowers to soften her up.

“Who are they from?” Janice asked, drifting over and bracing her hand underneath a tulip to breathe in its sweet aroma.

“Not sure,” Sydney answered. “Oh, wait, here’s a note.”

A note hung from a ribbon tied around the stems of the tulips. Sydney grabbed it and unfolded it along the crease. She read it over three times, hardly daring to believe her eyes.

I’m an ass.
An ass that’s sorry.
xx Brian


“They’re from Brian,” Sydney breathed, looking from the note to the flowers. Damn him! Sydney was a total sucker for tulips. Obviously, Jimmy had to be helping him.

“Hm,” Janice said thoughtfully, reading the note as well. “This guy is trying really hard.”

“Yeah,” Sydney agreed. Maybe Brian really had turned over a new leaf.
♠ ♠ ♠
FILLER.

Comments?