Making a Splash

Tell Her You Want Her To Stay

Just as Ryan had predicted, the future came way too soon for his liking. In less than a week, the summer session with the kids would be over, and he and Mackenzie would be parting ways. He still didn’t know her plans or where she was going to move to. He kept asking her, and all she kept saying was that she was still deciding.

He walked into the aquatics center to see Mackenzie already there, sitting on the bleachers talking to Skye. He walked over to them, and they immediately stopped talking. “What were you two talking about?” Ryan inquired, sitting down next to Mackenzie.

“Nothing,” Mackenzie replied.

Ryan gave her a skeptical look. “Really?” he questioned. “Then why did you stop talking when I walked up? Were you talking about me? About how bad of a boyfriend I am?” he asked jokingly.

“Yeah, that’s it Lochte,” Skye told him. “She was telling me how terrible of a boyfriend you are,” she said sarcastically.

“Really, it’s nothing, Ryan,” Mackenzie assured him.

“What are you doing here so early?” he asked, deciding to let the matter drop for the time being.

“I just wanted to hang out with Skye some since I’m not going to get to see her after a few days from now,” Mackenzie replied.

“Yeah,” Skye agreed. “I’m heading back to Maryland with Michael for a little bit, and then I think we might be going to Michigan for a little while. And, who knows where Mackenzie’s going to be headed,” she said.

“Yeah, who knows,” Ryan said quietly, earning a look from Mackenzie. Since their talk a few weeks ago when Ryan asked her what she thought was going to happen to their relationship after the summer ended, they hadn’t really talked about it again. Ryan had tried to bring the subject up numerous times, just wanting to know that they were still going to have a relationship, but Mackenzie always changed subjects, not wanting to talk about it.

“Well, I’ve got a little bit of work to get finished before the kids get here today, but how would you two like to go out with me and Michael for dinner tonight. I think Addie and Ricky are planning on coming, too. Garrett’s got plans, but we could hang out one last time before we all go our separate ways,” Skye suggested.

Mackenzie looked at Ryan, who simply shrugged his shoulders. “Sure,” Mackenzie smiled. “We’d love to come.”

“Good!” Skye exclaimed. “I’ll let you guys know more later on,” she added, standing up and walking off in the direction of her office.

“So, what were you guys talking about?” Ryan asked once again once Skye had disappeared.

“Ryan!” Mackenzie exclaimed. “I thought we were past this! It was nothing!”

“Fine, stick with that story,” he said with a smile, letting her know that he was just joking.

***

As they sat down to dinner, Skye looked around the table. “It’s weird to think that we’re not going to see each other for much longer,” she spoke. “Raddie’s going back to Texas. Michael and I are off to Maryland. Lochte’s staying here. And, Mack’s off somewhere.”

“Where are you planning on heading off to?” Michael asked, looking across the table at Mackenzie.

“I don’t know yet,” Mackenzie replied.

“Come on, Mack,” Ryan said impatiently, causing Mackenzie to turn and look at him. “You’re here for like another two days. You have to know where you’re going! So, why don’t you just tell us already!”

Mackenzie stared at him, surprised at his little outburst in front of their friends. She knew she was annoying him by not telling him what her plans were, but she never expected him to act like this in front of everyone. “Ryan, can we talk about this when we’re alone?” she asked him.

“No, we can’t,” Ryan insisted. “Because every single time I try to bring it up, you refuse to talk about it. You just change subjects right away. Well, I’m sick of it, and I’m not going to let you do it anymore. You have two days until we’re off to different places. So, tell me where you’re planning on going!”

Mackenzie glanced around the table to see everyone staring at her, waiting for an answer. “Ryan, please, let’s talk about this when we’re alone.”

“Is that your way of telling me that you’re going to be clear across the country? Or is this your way of telling me you’re breaking up with me?” he questioned.

“Neither!” Mackenzie exclaimed. “Just, let’s talk about this later.”

“You keep saying that! You keep saying that we’ll talk about it later. Guess what, Mack. This is later. So, let’s discuss it now.”

Mackenzie could see that everyone at the table felt awkward about what was going on between her and Ryan, and she tried to figure out what to do about it. “Ryan, I really don’t know where I’m going to be in two days, okay?” she asked. “I was accepted at UCLA, NYU, and University of Florida,” she added the last part quietly. “I haven’t decided where I’m going yet.”

“You applied to University of Florida?” he asked, feeling terrible for acting the way he had been. “You’re thinking about staying?”

“Of course I’m thinking about staying!” she told him. “That’s what I was talking to Skye about earlier today when you wouldn’t stop badgering me!” He looked over at Skye, who nodded in confirmation. “I’ve been debating with myself between the three schools for the past month or so, and I thought it’d be a good idea to get someone else’s point of view on the matter.”

“What are you thinking about now? Which school are you leaning towards?” Ryan asked quietly, almost as if he was scared for the answer.

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you, Ryan! I don’t know where I’m going yet!” Mackenzie told him.

“Damn it, Lochte!” Skye interrupted. “Just tell her you want her to stay already! That’s all she wants, just to know that you want her to stay!” Mackenzie looked over at her, her eyes wide, shocked that she had just told Ryan that.

“That’s what you want?” Ryan asked, looking at Mackenzie. “To know that I want you to stay? I thought you knew that already! Why do you think I keep asking you practically every day where you’re going to be?”

“But, you’ve never actually told me that you want me to stay here. You just keep asking me if we’re going to do a long distance relationship or not. You’ve never actually contemplated me staying here with you.”

“I didn’t think you’d want to. Mack, I know that you have a life outside of Florida. If you don’t want to stay here, then I’m not going to guilt you into it,” Ryan explained.

“What if I want to stay here, though?” she asked. “I know that we haven’t been together very long, but Ryan, I know that we can make this work. And, I love it here in Florida.”

“What are you saying?” Ryan asked.

“She’s staying here,” Skye answered for her.

“You are?” Ryan asked, looking straight into Mackenzie’s eyes.

“If that’s what you want,” she said quietly.

“That’s exactly what I want,” he told her before leaning towards her and capturing her in a kiss, causing everyone at the table to start clapping sarcastically at them.

***

Ryan sat in Mackenzie’s apartment, looking at all of her newly acquired textbooks. “I can’t believe you’re majoring in physics,” he commented, throwing a heavy book down on her coffee table. “Who does that?” he questioned.

“I do that,” she replied. “Why? You don’t think I’m smart enough to major in physics? I didn’t want to major in something meaningless like I did at Northwestern.”

“I know you’re smart enough to major in physics. I love having a smart girlfriend even if she does make me feel stupid sometimes,” he smiled at her.

“You’re not stupid,” she argued. “You’re just not the type of guy to major in physics,” she added with a laugh.

“Nope, that’s all you,” he told her, leaning over and kissing her.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the end =)

This story didn't go exactly as planned, but I liked it anyways.
Let me know what you think!