A Delicate Romance

1/1

A Delicate Romance

The wind was blowing, making the sparkling white snow fly into the air and swirl around the only two people out. Their black cloaks stood out in the never ending whiteness, along with the girl’s vibrant red hair, which flowed down her back to the spot right above her petite waist, and it added a bit of necessary colour to the dull palette of greys, blacks, and whites that currently decorated the landscape.

It was a peaceful Saturday afternoon, and these two friends had opted out of the Hogsmeade trip today, deciding to spend the day planning their one friend’s surprise birthday party in two weeks time.

Instead of staying inside the castle, which stood tall and peaceful on the opposite side of the dark frozen lake, you would never had guessed that Hogwarts had seen so much darkness and still stood after so many years of turmoil. The two friends had chosen to take a walk and escape the never ending silence and enjoy the crisp, fresh air, despite the chilliness that circled around them.

“He can’t find out before,” the girl said, shivering slightly from the cold and a wind breezed past her, looking at her friend she hoped he hadn’t noticed. The guy nodded. “You’re right, Lils. He’d never let us throw him a party. We can’t let Pete know, either. He cannot keep a secret. Not even for some of my mum’s delicious brownies.”

“Sirius, maybe. You can figure out if we should tell him, James. Marlene already knows, and so does Alice . I’m pretty sure she told Frank it’s supposed to be a surprise, so he’s gonna see if he can come for Remus’s eighteenth. I got an owl from him the other day, and he thinks Moody will let him come,” Lily said, sticking her hands deeper into the pockets in her cloak, marvelling at the fact that James didn’t seem cold at all, even in the freezing weather.

“That’s good,” James responded, as he stopped walking. He leaned casually against a tree, looking at the lake, reflecting the cold light of the sun off the smooth icy surface. Lily sat down on a flat rock that was somehow free of snow and ice. She brought her knees up to her chin, huddling together for more warmth as a sudden gust of wind came from the direction she was facing, making her features become even more frosty and painful.

“So, we’re having the party in the common room, at around seven, so everyone will have to be there to decorate a bit before six. I’ll keep Remus busy. I’ll take him to Hogsmeade for a butterbeer. He’ll think that’s his birthday surprise, so he won’t even suspect the party,” James said. Lily shot him look of disapproval telling him that she didn’t approve of the fact that he was constantly sneaking in and out of Hogsmeade.

“Hey, don’t give me that look! He could find out otherwise, so our plans would be worthless. You know he wouldn’t want people to make a fuss, so that’s what we’re going to do,” James said in his defence, holding up his hands as if to say he’s innocent. Lily just laughed, being used to James’s defensive nature by now.

“So, are we going to set him up with that sixth year he fancies?” Lily asked James. He thought for a moment, deciding what he thought would be best for his mate. “Yeah, I think so. My plan is that we have music for dancing, and we have one person ask him, and another ask the girl, then they switch, so Remus and her are together.”

“Great, but what girl would Remus agree to dance with? And who could we get in on the plan to ask her?” Lily wondered out loud. “Well, if you’re okay with it, I was thinking you and me. You’re his friend, so it would be semi-normal if you asked him. I could ask her, since Sirius wouldn’t give her up if they danced, Peter doesn’t have a sense of rhythm, and Frank’s gonna want to spend the entire time with Alice, since they never get to see each other.”

Thinking about James’s suggestion, she figured it would be the easiest way.. “Sounds great,” Lily said. “But I’m hoping I’ll get to dance more then once,” Lily said. She hadn’t been able to dance for a long time, and it was something she loved to do. “Hey, I’ll save you a dance,” James offered with a smile.

“Make it three and you have a deal,” Lily said. James laughed, and nodded his head.

“You drive a hard bargain, but okay,” James said.

The two fell into silence after that, which was okay to Lily. She wasn’t one who liked to fill every silence with noise that conversations bring.

Lily wiggled her toes inside off her shoes while tapping her feet, trying to warm them, though knowing her attempt would be fruitless. She took the time to observe her friend out of the corner of her eye. His ebony hair was in disarray, a trait she secretly loved about his appearance. She noticed how his chest expanded slightly with every breath he took. It was an even rhythm, which lulled Lily into a peaceful state of being. She could just barely make out the edge of his wire-rimmed glasses. He was one of her best friends.

Though they hadn’t been friends for more then three months or so, she felt close to him. In fact, despite the fact until this year she had claimed that she hated him; Lily realized that she had never been just a prize that James had been trying to win.

Lily had become an accomplished liar over the years. Saying she hated James, to ensure that she wouldn’t get hurt. She never imagined that she would be hurting him in the process. But once Lily realized the truth, it was too late. James had sworn he was over her at the end of last year. This year, he had proposed the idea that they try to be friends.

She was suddenly remembering the conversation that had started this whole friendship.

“Hey, Evans, can I talk to you for a minute?” James asked Lily as she had made her way back to the common room after the welcome feast. Lily hesitated, not sure what it was about. They hadn’t really talked to each other yet, only when they had congratulated each other, since they were the Head Boy and Girl.

“Okay,” Lily said after an awkward pause. She followed him over out of the way of the crowd of students heading to their common rooms. “So?” Lily asked, after James hadn’t said anything for a minute.

“Well…we’ve never really gotten along before. I was thinking during the majority of the train ride, and part of the feast, that since we’re going to be seeing a lot of each other this year, we should at least try to be friends?”

Lily thought about James suggestion for a minute, then for two. “Yeah…that makes sense. Okay, friends it is…James,” Lily said with a shy smile. James returned her small smile with one of his famous lopsided grins.

The redhead felt a blush creepy up her neck, but forced her face to remain calm. She knew that James was over her, he had said so last year. Lily didn’t want James to know that she had liked him, and that she still did.


Lily was jolted from her memories from another gust of freezing wind, this time containing snow that had become loose from the packed, icy drifts. James noticed the shiver that Lily tried to cover with a shift in her movements,

“You cold? Let’s head back then.” James said before she could even answer, “ I don’t want you to catch a cold,” James said, and offered her his hand to pull her up from the rock. Lily was too cold to even register the fact that James didn’t let go of her hand whilst they walked.

The two started their way back slowly, carefully, trying to avoid slipping on the icy patches. James noticed Lily shivering once again, even worse then the last time. “Come here,” he commanded gently, and pulled her to his side, his arm around her shoulder, his side pressed against her. “Body heat,” he said knowingly. Lily offered him a small smile, and they continued on they way..

They were only half way there, and it seemed that Lily hadn’t gotten any warmer. “Are you even colder?” James her, and he got a small nod in return. An inspired look appeared on James face. “I have an idea,” he said, and he leaned down, pressing his lips gently against hers. Before Lily could react, James pulled away, a look of panic on his face.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry Lily. I know I was out of line there. It’s just I lied when I said I was over you, and I’ve been wanting to do that for so long. I’m so sorry,” James said, but Lily barely registered anything except that he wasn’t over her.

“James, look at me,” she commanded to him, and he turned to face her. She put a hand on each of his shoulders, and craned her neck so she could give him a soft kiss on the lips.

“So, James, I have a question for you,” Lily said once she had pulled away. “Do you want to go to Remus’s birthday party as my date?”

Instead of saying something, James just kissed her again. Lily decided to take it as a yes.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an old story, from December, and not up to my standards. I think. Who knows?

Comments?