How to Save a Life

I - I Hate First Days

6.00 AM. I’m roughly woken up by the buzzing sound of my alarm clock. Fucking buzz. I have to get a new one that doesn’t buzz. That is, if I ever find the time to actually go to the store and get myself a new alarm. I growl and reach for the nightstand to get the thing to shut up. I turn around again and remain on my side for a few minutes. I then decide it’s time for me to get up. It wouldn’t be too good being late on your first day of work.

After taking a semi-cold wake up shower, I pour myself a coffee to wake myself up even more. Staring sleepily out of the kitchen window, I see a small beam of sunlight shining down on the ground. Sunshine in Seattle, it must be my lucky day. Let’s hope it will remain that way, I could use some luck. I hate first days. New people, new environment, new rules. And they all expect you to remember it all by day one. And this first day is going to be even worse as your regular first day. Of course, I’m the one deciding to change to Seattle in the middle of the year, causing me to step in a team where everybody already knows the people, the environment, and the rules. But I guess I should be grateful for the fact I even managed to get in the program that late. I guess they think I have potential.

Despite leaving my house way ahead of schedule, I still manage to run late. Sitting on the edge of my seat I try to find a parking spot for my car as soon as possible. I find one fairly quick, and after having parked my vehicle, I rush inside the building. I take the stairs in stead of the elevator, and find my way to the locker room. Thank God, I’m late, but not too late. People are still here. I quickly change as I try to ignore the sudden silence that fell when I’d entered.

All prepped up I take a quick glance in the mirror for a few last minute adjustments.

“You know, being pretty doesn’t help here,” I hear someone snap beside me.

I close my locker and look up.

I see one of my colleagues pushing the girl who obviously just stated her oh so precious opinion about my mirror glancing, before handing her a cup probably filled with coffee. Oh yes, it’s a sleep deprived, being-tired-all-the-time business, but we love it.

Someone new enters the room, and everybody steps up at once. They gather around the tiny woman who just stepped in.

“All right people,” she starts.

I guess this is my call. God, I hate first days.