How to Save a Life

II - Chores

“Yang, Grey, Karev, I want you down the pit,” she orders, waving her hand in the direction of what I assume is the pit.

Three of my fellow interns nod and run off. I recognize the girl who appreciated my mirror glancing so much, and the girl who pushed her. The third member of the group is a decent, attractive guy but seems way too full of himself to be even considered as dating material. Of course I didn’t come to Seattle to date. That would just be a nice bonus, I’ve been alone for way too long now.

“Stevens, dr. Shepherd asked for you to scrub in. You can go.”

She gives another nod and a tall blonde girl leaves the locker room. Geez, with such an appearance you wonder if she didn’t accidentally mistook this hospital for the Playboy mansion.

“O’Malley, -“ the sergeant pauses, and seems to be looking at me now.

“Jennings,” I reply, smiling politely.

“Right. O’Malley, Jennings, you’ll be doing rounds with me.”

“Yes, dr. Bailey,” the O’Malley guy says, quickly walking out.

Suck up. He doesn’t seem to be too sure of himself. Ah well, he must be nice.

I follow them, dr. Bailey leading us.

“Hey,” O’Malley guy says. “You must be the new intern. I’m George.”

“Skylar,” I say.

He smiles a bit.

“Movement, people, I don’t have all day!”

“Is she always like this?” I mutter to my now new-claimed friend.

George nods.

“Pretty much. They call her the Nazi.”

Right, the Nazi. Welcome to Seattle Grace Hospital. Grace. How ironic.

Rounds have never been my favourite part of being a doctor. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the skin-slicing meat-cutting type that’s only here to get inside of other people’s bodies, I do try to have some sort of a doctor-patient relationship. I like people to trust me as their doctor and have faith in my work. It’s just that when you’re on rounds you’re hardly doing anything except answering your resident’s questions and reading from a patient’s chart. I rather have some work on my hands. And besides, you can’t get to know a patient after just a few minutes anyways.

We leave the last patient, and I wonder what’s next.

“O’Malley, you can go and prepare Mrs. Simmons for her surgery. Jennings?” dr. Bailey calls.

I turn so that I’m facing her.

“You can go get the lab results for all patients on this floor.”

I nod, and both me and George run off to work.

Labs. First rounds and now labs. I’m a doctor, I can do stuff. They shouldn’t think that just because I’m new at Seattle Grace, that I’m new at everything. I haven’t left Oakland without any accomplishments.

I order for the labs and get a huge pile of files in return. Holding them as easy as I can, clumsy me of course manages to let one drop right in the middle of the hallway on my way back.

“Woa,” someone says.

“Don’t lose your labs,” I hear as I’m already bending down to pick the file back up, only to see it being waved in front of my face already.

I look up and see another doctor in front of me. Dark scrubs. Oh great, an attending. Now I’ll definitely be the new one who can’t do anything. I grab the file, and get back up again.

“Thank you, -” I say, searching for a name tag to see who just helped me.

“Dr. Armstrong,” I finish, reading his tag.

He smiles.

“No problem,” he says, looking at me for a moment.

I start feeling a bit awkward and take a better grip on my files.

“Well, eh.. I gotta go now, got labs and all.. y’know?”

“Oh, yeah,” he says, turning towards the OR schedule board again.

I walk further, better not let the Nazi wait for too long. I prefer not having her on my back for too long.

But as I’m near the end of the hallway, I hear someone shout.

“Hey,”

I look over my shoulder and see dr. Armstrong turned around towards me again.

“Are you dr. Bailey’s new intern?”

I nod.

“Yeah. I’m Skylar. Skylar Jennings.”

“Great. Has she put you to work for the rest of the day yet?”

“Well, not yet.. But I think she has enough chores for me lying around to keep me busy for the rest of my shift,” I say, quickly shutting my mouth when I realize what I’m saying and to who.

But, to my surprise, he chuckles and walks towards me.

“She’s tough, huh? Don’t worry, she means good. But for now I’m gonna ask dr. Bailey if I can use you for a chore of mine,” he smirks.

I look at him, see his grin, and chuckle.

“Alright,” I say, as we walk on.