Lindsay Harrison & Chase Evans

Chapter 3

In any other world

The Evans’ had dinner out later than normal.

You could tell the difference

The table was set to perfection.

And let it all unfurl

Smooth and elegant, as were the Evans’.

Into broken ruminants

No one spoke as if they were sad to know that the Harrisons would be leaving soon.

Smile like you mean it

I sat quietly next to chase, who was pushing his food around his plate.

And let yourself let go

I listen to the scrape of his fork patiently while it screeched across the porcelain.

Cos it's all in the hands of a bitter, bitter man

My Mother cleared her throat and I snapped my head up.

Say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in

“Well, kids, we discussed tomorrow’s…uh…plans and well we have some good news”--

Take a bow, play the part of a lonely lonely heart

I thought maybe My parents had decided that this marriage was a stupid idea.

Say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in

“And we decided that Chase should move in with us.”, at that I knew my world had just ended.

To the world you thought you lived in

No. I take that back my world ended the night I was told about this stupid arrangement. Chris just sat beside me holding my hand under the table. My mother and soon to be Mother-in-law were smiling and the others continued to eat as if it was completely normal to have to move in with fiancée and her family.

“Well, you and Chase have be getting along so well” - because “I” have ignored him! - “And a week just isn’t enough to catch up on the six years your weren’t together.” Caroline flashed her perfect white teeth.

Great not only do I have to marry the guy but, now I have to live with him, I thought. I looked over at Chase and he was just nodding his head. I wasn’t sure if he was even listening until he spoke up.

“I think your right. Lindsay and I haven’t had enough time to…talk.” he quickly stated.

Chris cleared his throat, “ So, are we still leaving tomorrow then?” he asked. My grip on his hand tightened in hopes that we would. Gosh, I miss my old life…I breathed deeply trying to keep down the scream that was trying to make an appearance at the table.

It didn’t take long for the others to finish eating. I had managed to lose my appetite along with my future. We all left the table and parted to our rooms. Packing only took ten minutes. I had the rest of the night to think about the rest of my life. That wasn’t what I needed. I needed a way out. I glanced out the window and saw the moon’s reflection in the pool. I smiled to myself, This was my way out, well for now anyway.

I threw on my yellow swimsuit and ran out of room and down the stairs. I made my way through the kitchen to the glass sliding door that over looked the desert of a back yard that the Evans’ owned. I opened it quietly and stumbled down the stone stairs. There it was. I looked out to see the glistening water that I so longed for. This was my escape.

I made my way to the edge, sticking one foot in to test the water.

“Perfect.” I smiled .

I jumped in making a splash that would surely wake the others in the house. I didn’t care anymore. Okay, Lindsay, Chase is now your future. You can’t change that. Unfortunately. Think, maybe he hates this just as much as you do. He’s trying to have a relationship and your over here acting the ebullient of a female dog. He wants to make things easier. So why don’t you?

I looked up at the moon as I floated on my back. “Why don’t I?” I asked myself.

“Hey.” I jumped at the sounds of a deep voice. I looked over at the pool’s edge.

“I thought you might want this.” Chase held up a towel. Something about the way he looked, standing there in the moonlight holding up a hideous looking towel. He looked unsure of himself, probably all the ignoring I’ve been doing. Hello? This is the time to make it up to him. Show him you want to make this work. Even if its just a marriage between friends, it would be way better than a couple who doesn’t even care if the other is there or not.

“Uh, I saw that you didn’t have a towel and…” Chase started to ramble.

“Thanks.” I smiled and went to the edge reaching for the towel.

He leaned down, holding out a hand to help me out. The moment was too perfect I grabbed his hand firmly and pulled.

***
The Maine’s soft lyrics were interrupted by a loud splash. I got up from my desk and went over to the window to see a sight I would never forget. Lindsay was swimming from one end to the other in her bright yellow bikini. A smile crept its way onto my face.

I went straight to the kitchen and was almost out the door when I noticed she didn’t have a towel out there with her. I made quick of running to the back of the house, where the laundry room was, and grabbed the first towel I saw. When I finally was out the door I saw the hideous towel that I had selected and cringed. Great this make an impression for sure.

Before I knew it I had made it to the edge of the pool. I started to speak and then stopped myself. She’s so perfect. I watched her as she stayed floating in the same spot gazing up at the stars or was it the moon? It didn’t matter she was beautiful. Then I realized I was acting like a creeper and cleared my throat. I watched her jump and sink deeper into the water.

“Uh, I saw that you didn’t have a towel and…” I started to ramble feeling a bit self-conscious.

“Thanks.” she smiled and went to the edge of the pool.

I leaned down as she reached for the towel. I decided to help her out so she wouldn’t struggle. I laid the towel down and stuck my hand out. I felt her place her small hand into my larger one. Then I felt the tug. I was already unstable and when she tugged I fell into the pool. I came up coughing and rubbing my eyes. I laughed at her smile.

“You did that on purpose!” I accused splashing water in her direction.

We swam a little while together. Then made our way to the ladder. I got out first and ran to the other side to get the towel.

“Hey! No running around the pool.” Lindsay giggled.

Man, could I get used to that? I smiled. And walked swiftly to the other side. When I reached her she was shaking from the chill in the air. I handed her the towel quickly. I thought about helping her dry off but it didn’t take long to decide not too. I was afraid to ruin her ‘happy’ mood. I wasn’t sure what changed her mind and I didn’t want to know.

“Wow, this towel is the ugliest color.” she made a face and it made me laugh.

“Yeah. Uh, I would’ve got you a prettier one but I was in a hurry.” As soon as the sentence was out of my mouth I winced.

“Okay. Just a few questions.” She looked straight at me. “One, how did you know I didn’t have a towel?” she held out two fingers this time. “Two, why were you in hurry?”
She finished with a little gleam in her eye.

I took a deep and clear my throat. “Well, to answer your questions I-I heard you out here and was going to come out then I noticed you didn’t have a towel; so I went and got one for you.” I nodded knowing she thinks I’m an idiot.

“Well, Chase, why were you in a hurry to get out here?” she point to where we stood.

“Well, Lindsay, I…honestly? I wanted to see you.” I wanted to see what she looked like but the porch light went off leaving us in the dark. I heard her laugh and I could just imagine her smile.

“That was a good answer.” she said

I thought maybe this was a good chance to do what I wanted to do since first grade. Gosh! I still had that stupid valentines day card she gave me, I loved that card.
I leaned in, hoping I would meet her lips. I was nervous. My palms were sweaty and my throat was dry. I even thought about stopping. I was so close, I could feel her sweet breath on my face. I closed my eyes then the porch light came on. I looked down at her our lips almost touching. Her eyes were shocked and I loved how she was breathless. I took a step back.

“It’s getting pretty late. We should get some sleep for tomorrow.” I waited for her to walk past me to go in and I smiled. A smile of a man who just had his first victory.

***

“Maybe you were right, Liam. They do look right for each other.” Caroline looked out of the guest room’s window.

“See, Caro, I know what love is when I see it.” Liam smiled as he watched his dripping wet daughter came into the house. He looked back at the young man who would soon be his son-in-law and saw a boy who just had his dream come true. Lindsay’s Father laughed.

“Come now, my dearest Caroline, I need my sleep.” He kissed the top of his wife’s head and lead her to the bed.