Hearts on Lockdown

Chapter 7

Jinx’s POV

“Are you ready to head back yet, Jinx?” Emmett asked as we stepped outside in the snow.

“Yep. I need to go see Professor Dumbledore” I say starting towards the path leading towards the warm confines of Hogwarts.

Is everything ok, Jean? I jumped and spun around looking for the body that matched the voice. Then I remembered the reason I needed to see the headmaster.

Sure, Edweirdo. Where are you, and Bella?

About 10 seconds away from where you are

Well do u wanna hurry up? I wanna talk to my best friend

You already are, aren’t you?

Hahaha you wish. Just hurry up. Do I tell her about this? Or Emmett?

I don’t know. Maybe you can ask Professor Dumbledore when you talk to him

“JINX!! Wait up!” my best friend called from behind me.

“Nope! You catch up!!” I call back, spinning around to walk backwards, just in time to see Edweirdo sweep her off her feet and run towards me and Emmett.

“EDWARD! Don’t do that again! That’s the second time today and I haven’t quite gotten the idea of you moving close to the speed of light.” Emmett laughs at her. I hit his arms, but then have to hold my hand from the impact. It felt like I had just hit solid stone.

“Ouch.”

“That’s what you get for punching a vampire.” He said laughing his booming laugh that was uniquely his.

“Shut up. We need to hurry so I can get to talk to Dumbledore before dinner. Emmett? Care to run me?”

“Sure. Then I’ll have to go hunting.”

“Find Jasper first. He has a new drink that he thinks we should try. Alice seems to like it.” Edward said as Emmett scooped me up onto his back.

“Bella, I shall see you at dinner and explain everything there I promise.” I said to my best friend who was looking kinda confused.

“0kay. don’t be too long.”

You two better hurry. Alice has just had a vision

What kind of vision? Good or bad?

Depends on what angle you take on it

You owe me, Edweirdo. He laughs a laugh so quite that only Emmett can hear

“Come on, Jinx. I think we better leave these two love birds alone for a bit.” Emmett says laughing starting to run towards the castle.

Oh, Jean? Tell Emmett not to get too cocky

I laugh in my head, ok. I say as Emmett runs through the massive wooden doors.

“Ok. We’re here.” I say pleading for Emmett’s arms to release me. They felt too safe to be true. He looks at me, and for a second our eyes meet. In that second, I feel something that I haven’t felt for a long time. I quickly looked away.

“Ok.” He says putting my feet softly on the ground.

“Thanks, Em.” I say walking towards the Headmasters office.

“Caramel Cauldrons” I say as the gargoyle starts to move. I jump on the spiral staircase and knock on the old oak doors when the stairs finally stop moving.

“Come in!” boomed the Headmasters voice from inside. As I push open the huge oak doors, Professor Dumbledore looks up from the piece of parchment that he was writing on and puts down his quill, folding his hands together and resting them on the desk.

“I wondered when I would be graced by your presence again, Miss Honeychurch. I trust that you had a wonderful time at Hogsmede?” he asked, his eyes peering at me over his half moon spectacles and the feeling he was X-raying me with his mind was once again there.

“Yes thank you, Professor.”

“So what can I do for you on this wonderful day?”

“Before I left with Edward and Bella… I heard… well I had a… this is going to sound crazy, but… I had a mental conversation with Edward Cullen.” I said.

“Ahh I see. Well this is quite a development in your powers, Miss Honeychurch. I trust you know that you are not like the other students in a way.”

“Yes, Professor”

“There are very few witches or wizards in the world who have abilities other than performing magic. You are the first one at Hogwarts, I believe. You have the ability to read minds, Jean. That is not a gift that is not to be taken lightly. With it comes a great responsibility, you will learn things that you might not want to. Secrets that would be best kept a secret.” Professor Dumbledore explained.

“But how is it that I can only hear Edward Cullen? Why now? I spent all summer with him and his family.” By this point I was starting to get a little confused.

“I believe that is because you can only hear the thoughts of other mind-readers. But in effect, being able to hear Mr. Cullen’s thoughts gives you the ability to hear everybody else.”

“Why now, though? We spent most of the summer together.”

“Did you suffer anything particularly traumatic, before you heard Mr. Cullen?” I remembered the flashback I had had in the boys’ dorm room.

“Yes.” I said not explaining any more. Dumbledore just bowed his head.

“It will take time, Jean.”

“Isn’t there anything you can do? A spell to take the hurt away?” I said quietly, fighting back the tears.

“I’m sorry, Jean. The only cure, I’m afraid, is time. Talk about it. It may hurt, but one day you will be able to talk about Cedric and laugh.”

“Thank you, Professor. Back to the Mind-reading thing. Am I able to turn it off? Tune him out?”

“I’m sure if you talk to Mr. Cullen, that he will be happy to talk to you about the mind-reading specifics. And I’m sure letting Miss Swan and the other Cullen/Hale family will not be a problem. But right now, I’m afraid that I have to run. Your friends Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley have got themselves in a spot of bother. My offer still stands.”

“Thank you Professor.”

“Good Luck, Jean.” And then I walked out the door, down the staircase and off towards the common room.

Jean? Who’s Oliver? I heard inside my head

Edward?

Yes Jean He said impatiently Who’s Oliver?

I’ll be there in a sec

Jean! Alice said that she saw them kissing. Hurry! I could hear the panic in his voice, so I ran flat out up the two flights of stairs, practically yelled the password at the fat lady, and ran through the portrait hole.

“NO FUCKING WAY!!!” I yelled, entering the room with Emmett who had somehow just found me. I walked up to Oliver and slapped him across his left cheek. “You gutless bastard!”

“Jinx! What the hell?” Bella yelled at me.

“He deserved it!” I yelled back, Oliver rubbing his now reddening cheek “He leaves you a complete and utter mess, knowing you already had to deal with Cedric dying and having to help me, then the ass face turns up just as you start to get things back on track.”

“Jinx, is right. It was wrong of me to leave you.” Oliver said.

“It’s Jean, you smart ass!” I yell at him, Emmett being forced to restrain me from killing the fucking bastard.

“EVERYONE SHUT UP!” Bella yelled, tears starting to form her eyes “Jean calm the fuck down! Alice, I would never cheat on anyone and you have no fucking right to judge! Oliver, stop being a suck up. And Fred… you’re a twat!” she yelled at everyone and then ran out the door. Oliver followed, only because Emmett was still holding me back.

“What the hell did I do?” Fred asked confused. Emmett let me go. I just shook my head.

Do you care to explain? I can’t read Bella’s mind.

Oliver was her boyfriend until he broke up with her so he could play quidditch

So why do you hate him so much?

Because that bastard left after everything happened. After Ced… I broke off the thought.

“Jean, will she...” he finished the thought off in his head kiss him?

“No Edward. She wouldn’t. Not after what he put her through.” I said. He sighed in relief. It was difficult to see everybody else in a relationship. Happy.

We just sat in the common room shocked. I was shocked because, well it was Bella, she didn’t usually stand up for herself like that, and she just went with the flow. Edward was shocked that Oliver had gone after her and that Jasper held him back from going after her. Fred was shocked because Bella had just called him a twat and she was serious. George… well I’m not to sure what the hell he was shocked about. Emmett was shocked at how much I wanted to kill Oliver. And Alice just sat on the chair looking at the same piece of wall for the last 20 minutes.

“It’s ok, Al. she was just upset and surprised, and well a bunch of other emotions. He left her pretty messed up, and she had finally got over him. She’ll be ok. You can see that right?” I said walking over to her after Emmett had let me go, only after I had promised that I wouldn’t go and kill Oliver.

“Sure, just… well I haven’t seen him before, so I didn’t know… I’m sorry.” She said. This was the first time I’d seen her look anything but happy.

Edward? Is Alice okay?

She’s okay, she’ll be fine stop worrying I’m gonna head up to the dorm

What about Bella?

If she wants to talk to me, she knows where I am

“Night everyone.” Edward says getting up off the couch.

“night.” Everyone said more or less at the same time. And then he walked up the stairs with human speed and closed the door.

Everyone was silent when Bella opened the portrait 15 minutes later.

“Hi” she sounded a bit nervous. “Look, I’m really sorry, all of you. I shouldn’t have gone off my nut at you guys.

“And I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions.” Alice said getting up and giving Bella a hug. “I’m really sorry Bella.”

“And I shouldn’t have been so overprotective, it’s pretty clear that you can handle yourself” I laughed and joined the group hug.

“And I shouldn’t have been such a… what was it? Twat.” Fred laughed also joining the suffocating hug.

“I love you guys, but where’s Edward?” Bella smiled.

“He walked up to the boys dorms.” George said as Bella took off.

“Well I think I should call it a night too.” I said hugging Alice and Jasper goodnight.

“Night, Jinx” the twins and Emmett said in unison, and then started laughing.

“boys.” I said walking up the stairs.

I got changed and laid on my bed.

Good. Because I’m not going down without a fight I hear Edward say in my head. What the hell?

You can’t fight if there’s no battle This time it was Bella’s voice I heard. They were talking and I was eavesdropping.

Not that you know of. Edward said quietly

Edward? What do you mean, not that you know of? I ask in my head.

He’s not leaving, Jean. He is staying at Hogwarts

And then Edward played the conversation he had heard in Oliver’s head with professor Dumbledore.

Monday of the second week

“Is there any Cullen or Hales here?” I say walking into the common room after a long day of potions, charms, transfiguration and an afternoon of reading tea leaves with the crackpot. It was a crap day, and they were all my classes that Ced was with me for, so that made it twice as crap. I needed to talk to someone, with Bella being held up with potions essay in the library (Snape had already given us an essay on the effects of mandrake root in useful potions.) and Edward with her, I didn’t really have anyone, but I needed to talk to some one about it. I would hopefully feel better about it.

“What’s up Jinx?” Emmett said appearing at the top of the staircase. I blinked and he was standing in front of me.

“You wanna walk with me for a bit? I need to get some things off my chest.” I ask.

“sure.” he said as we walked out the portrait hole and started walking towards the front doors. When we got out in the fresh icy air we walked towards the forest.

“Did you get some good hunting in? You weren’t gone long.” I ask casually.

“Yer, I didn’t end up going cause I caught up with Jasper like Edward said, and it turns out that the barman if the Hogs Head knows about us, and gave Jasper a drink that he’s trialing. It’s good.”

“That’s good.” Emmett had known me just over a week, but he could already decode the look on my face when I was thinking about Cedric. He wraps his cold stone-like arms around me. Lucky I’ve got 3 jumpers on as well as my winter robes.

“Jean… what is it? What did you want to get off your chest?” he pulls me over to sit below one of the trees and then he pulls me onto his lap, his arms still around me. I lean my head against his chest and just sit there for a minute. Then I feel the tears start to fall.

“I thought we would have so much more time together. To laugh more, to live more. He had so much he still wanted to achieve in life. We were going to finish school and find a house together. It sounds stupid but we were already planning life after Hogwarts. We’d use to sit up in the boy’s dorm, look out the window at the snow falling and wonder what the weather would be like when we moved into our new house. Does that sound stupid?” I say between sobs when I can hold myself together.

“No. It sounds like you two were in love. It’s what Rose and I did 75 years ago. We were in love.” I looked up at him.

“You two really were, weren’t you?”

“Yer we were. But things change, people change. Sometimes not for the best.” he looks away for a second, quick enough that I nearly miss it.

“Sorry.” I say quietly

“It’s okay. It was my decision. I had one, unlike Cedric, and I’m sure that wherever he is, he’s missing you like crazy. Just like you are.” I smile up at him.

“Thanks, Em.”

“Tell me about him” I could tell that he didn’t mean it badly; just that he really did want to know more about him.

“He had blonde-brown hair, and beautiful bright green eyes. Once he had an idea about something, he would do it, no matter the cost. He was top of the class in Herbology and transfiguration. He wanted to be a doctor at St Margo’s. He loved his family and friends. He loved Quidditch, he played seeker for Hufflepuff. What else do you want to know?”

“How about the first time you caught each others eye, across the Great Hall?” we sat and talked until it got dark, until I heard Edward’s voice in my head;

Jean? Will you kindly come back inside? Bella is having a freak out

Sure thing, Edweirdo I say.

“Emmett? Can you run us back to the castle please? Dinner is about to start and I need to get dressed.”

“sure thing, Jinx. Hey, do you wanna meet me here tomorrow after classes? Just to talk. I haven’t talked about that kind of stuff before. It feels good getting it out, and Edward not being the only one who knows about it.”

“Sure thing. It felt good to talk about Ced to someone who didn’t know him, but wanted to. Same place, same time.” I said as Emmett ran up to the castle with me on his back. And we did. We meet the next day, and the next and the next.

2 weeks later. Jinx POV still

“Jean!” A voice from behind me yells. I turn around to see Harry say goodbye to Ron and Hermione and start to run towards me. I stop and wait for him to catch up.

“Hey, what can I do for you, Harry?” I ask as he starts to keep pace beside me.

“When have you booked the pitch?”

“Oh shoot!” I say instantly remembering the conversation I had had with Madam Hooch, 3 days prior.

“Please tell me you’ve booked it!” he pleaded.

“Of course, Harry. I’ve just forgotten to tell everyone that it’s tomorrow afternoon, straight after lunch.”

“Oh, thank god. You had me thinking that we were going to have to duel Slytherin for the pitch. You want me to spread the word?” he asks.

“No. Thanks anyway, though. I think Fred and George need a little project, to keep their minds off mischief. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I say running off to find the twins.

“Come out; come out, where ever you are!” I say as I get to the fifth floor, a usual hang out for the twins and their troublesome gang. I hear quite foot steps that I know belong to one of them. I pretend I can’t hear them and keep walking. “Marco!” I say. A pair of hands covers my eyes.

“Polo!” two voices say, one in each ear.

“I need your help.” I say smiling

“Who be us?”

“You be the troublesome twins, Fred and George Weasley.”

“Who be you?”

“I be Jinx Honeychurch, your loyal friend who will turn your brooms, into rats when you least expect it, if you do not help me. Now are you two going to let go of me and help or do I have to get my wand out?” I ask. They take their hands away and take a step back.

“How can we be of service my queen?” George asks bowing.

“Your queen? She’s mine!” Fred says straightening up out of his own bow.

“Nah-ah! I saw her first!” and this is when they start to fight. Not magically, no, muggle-like, with fists and teeth and knees and elbows.

“BOYS!” I yell. They look up, George in mid-swing.

“Yes my queen?” they answer in unison. Then give each other death glances

“Get up and stop acting like children. I know you can’t help it, but grow up for a sec, please?” I plead more or less.

“Awww, come on jinx! You used to be fun.”

“well, how about this… you make up some posters for the common room after showing them to me you can put them up, and you get a fair trial at try outs tomorrow?” their faces light up.

“Really, Jinx? You trust us with that?”

“Yes… kinda… let’s put it this way, you stuff up and it will be your stuffed heads for dinner tomorrow night, got it?” I say smiling at them sweetly. They laugh.

“We knew you were in there somewhere, Jennie!!!” they say laughing and running off before I can hex them.

“That was nice of you.” A voice very different from the annoying ones of the twins, says from behind me. I turn around and see Emmett, standing on the window ledge.

“It’ll keep their minds off pranks for a bit at least.” He jumps down from the ledge with inhuman grace. It took my breath away.

“You weren’t out by the tree. I thought you might have gotten a detention I didn’t know about.” He said with a smirk on his face. Talking to Emmett had helped me open up a little, but there was still a lot to go. I still had the odd nightmare, but it got less and less hard by the day. Just by talking.

“Me, detention? Never! No I just needed the twins to do something for me. You coming to the try-outs tomorrow?” I ask.

“I don’t know. Depends on my homework.” He said smiling.

“So that’s a yes then?” I ask, looking at my watch.

“Wouldn’t miss a chance to see you flying.” He said with a huge grin.

“Good. Sorry Emmett, but I really got to go. Edwards expecting me any second.” I say running off to find the mind-reading vampire.

Edward? I say in my head.

Jean? I’m in a classroom on the sixth floor

“What are you and Edward doing?” Emmett says beside me.

“He’s helping me with something.” I say. I still haven’t told anyone about my gift yet. Alice nearly figured it out yesterday because I was looking through Edward’s thoughts when Alice asked something in her head to Edward. I answered her question with out a second thought. Then I realized that she hadn’t spoken. I passed it off by saying that Jasper looked good today, not in as much pain. It was close.

“what something” Emmett asked.

“something that I will tell you in time. But for now, just go away, or run me up to the sixth floor.”

“ok.” He said scooping me up and running up to the next floor in a matter of seconds.

“thank you. Now, can you go, please? I need to see Edward by myself.”

“ok. I’ll see you at dinner then.” He said disappearing, but not before I saw the look on his face. It was like he was trying to process something that was too big, or like the look on a muggle scientist’s face when he's trying to find a logical reason for the fact that we could fly on broom sticks. Like there had to be a logical reason, but he couldn’t think of one. I pushed the thought out of my head. I needed my mind to be a complete blank before we started.

Alright, I’m here Edward. Which classroom?

Two doors down from where you are. I walk down to the door and open it. I see Edward sitting at one of the desks, with a pile of books that barely make him visible.

“what’re the books for Edweirdo?” I say walking over to the desk next to his.

“I’m trying to see if there is anything in any of these books about your ability.” He closes the book and goes for the next one. I watch his eyes dart side to side as he flicks through the pages of the book. After about a minute he closes the book and starts on the next.

“how long have you been looking at these books?” I ask picking one up and flicking through it.

“two hours. This is my tenth pile.” He says.

“Edward. Stop! I don’t want to know why; I want to know how to control it. And you having the ability for over a century qualifies you to show me. So how do you block the voices out? Well in my case, how do I block you out?” he puts down the book and stands up. Looking at me, he backs back to the back of the room.

“first you need to hear them-me.” He says still looking at me. I stare at the wall behind him and listen to his ‘voice’. He wants to go and find Bella to see if she’s okay and hasn’t tripped and broken her leg on the stairs. Then his wondering about Emmett and me. Then about Cedric. His classes. The hundreds of voices his heard. Everything. It starts to get annoying. I close my eyes and concentrate. I imagine a wall around my mind. Closing it. Just me and my thoughts to myself.

You can still hear me though, Jean. He says, his voice weaving its way through the cracks in my wall. We practice for what seems like a couple of hours, until my watch beeps, and I lose all concentration

“sorry Edward. But I said I’d meet Bella and Emmett at dinner.” I say grabbing my bag and running out the door, to go dump my stuff in the common room before I ran to the Great Hall. When I walk over to where Bella’s sitting, I realize she’s sitting next to Jacob Black her friend with fur.

“hey bells!” I say sitting myself next to her.

“hey! Where have you been?”

“I was with Edward. He was helping me with some homework. What have you been doing?”

“well I ran into Jacob after classes. He’s been doing an errand for Dumbledore.”

“for three weeks?” I ask, pilling my plate with roast pork and potatoes.

“it was a big errand.” Jacob says, looking at me.

Yo! Edward! Where the hell are you man!? I ask in my head, partly because my mouth is full of pork.

Coming into the hall now He says, I look around to see Edward walking in the doors, with Alice, Jasper and another girl that I had never seen before. The hall is still being filled with students running late, so not many people notice.

“who’s she?” Bella whispers in my ear.

“no idea. They’ve never said anything about another human coming before.” That’s when I notice her walking. Well dancing, much like Alice does. My brain registers the pale skin, the inhuman beauty and grace, and I realize that she is no human.

Jean, her name is Tamika. She’s a friend of Alice and Jasper’s

That answered a whole lot. NOT!

Is she a vamp?

Yes

Is she a vego?

Yes

what is she doing here?

Same thing we are

“Jinx? What’s the matter?” Bella says beside me. I shake my head and look at my potatoes again. What the hell where the Cullens/Hales doing here? I try and weasel it out of Edward, but he’s a quick learner. He’s built a wall around that part of his mind.

Damn you Edweirdo Cullen! I say in my head. I hear him chuckle in his head. I look up from my plate to see where Alice, Jasper and Edward were at. They were walking towards Dumbledore. He rose from his seat and walked around the front of the long staff table. Umbridge looks baffled.

Edward? What Umbridge thinking? I ask and he opens up part of his mind to let me hear her thoughts.

What in the world? Who are these people? Why are they interrupting? I must tell Mr. Fudge about this!

I hear the conversation through Edwards head.

“Tamika, thank you for coming. Please take a seat and after dinner we shall head up to my office to discuss what you are all doing here.” Dumbledore said. I look over at him, and his old face seems troubled. What the hell could be happening that Dumbledore has recruited eight vampires and two werewolves?

Edward wouldn’t let me in his mind, so what ever it was; it was something big and dangerous. And I could bet my wand, that it had something to do with Voldemort. What ever it was, I was going to find out through whatever means possible. I wanted revenge, and I wanted it soon. Even if not old Voldie himself, a couple of his death eaters would do nicely. Bellatrix Lestrange and Lucis Malfoy graced the top of the list.
♠ ♠ ♠
Diamonds Aren't Forever - Bring Me The Horizion
This chapter was by xoKelsixo
Yeah, I know. Its kind of confusing, but it will get better and if you need anything explained, just ask. I don't bite XD