Status: one-shot contest entry.

Love Is a Luxury

one of one.

Love.

The single thing that can make a person, or kill a person. By the time I was 20 I had experienced more love than most people do in a lifetime.

Women are mysterious creatures. I think guys don't know what their girl wants because they don't know themselves. Women will work you like a horse to see if you're worth their time. And trust me, all that work is worth it. Love is the most amazing thing in the world. It's holding her in your arms, warm kisses on cold nights, walks on the beach, protection. Love is what fuels the world.

I can still taste you on my lips, see you in my arms. I can still smell you, feel your warmth on my body. I think about you at night; your perfect lips, your soft skin, the playful gleam in your eyes. I know that I'm better off now, but I can't help but miss the way my hands molded perfectly over your hips.

But the way you controlled me like a puppet almost makes me sick. I didn't listen to the guys back then, listen to them tell me how you played me like a piano. You said all the right things, I was hypnotized.

There were other boys. I hated how you could leave me heartbroken every other night, off to say the same words to another guy. You might have been looking for fun, but I was looking for love. I meant every bit of those three words. You only loved the attention.

Every night at 11:11 when you weren't in my arms I wished to be your only. You used me, led me on. You said you wanted love. You lied.

I remember the look on your face when I told you it was the end. You didn't look upset or angry. You looked shocked, surprised, that I would give you up. You were fun, you were beautiful, but you stole my heart and crushed it. I couldn't take the feeling after you left.

We were young. Maybe you've grown up, maybe not. I always knew that love is a luxury. Love is beautiful, not something to throw away. Love is not meant to be shared. Love is fragile and special. You treated my love like garbage. You just tossed me aside whenever you found someone new. And every single time you came back, I held you close. I let you back into my arms only to find them empty again. Even when we were together, you weren't really there. Was I just a distraction? A replacement? A fuck? To me, you were so much more than that.

I haven't fallen in love since then. The feeling of hurt was too intense. My heart shattered like glass. As cliché as this all sounds, it's how you made me feel. Even though I tell myself not to think about it, I still wonder if you care. If you even remember who I am? Was I honestly close to nothing? You made me believe it meant so much more.

But now I know not to fall so hard. Now I know how delicately to cherish love, how delicately to take a relationship. Even though you broke me, I would like to thank you, wherever you are. Thank you for teaching me what love is.