Lullabies

Sing Me to Sleep

Image

The darkness surrounded them both as they walked into Jack's room. He turned on a lamp and pulled out the mattress beneath his bed. Alex still seemed a little anxious, but that would take time to fix. Alex sat down on Jack's bed, and Jack turned off the lamp. He laid down on the pull-out and looked out the window in front of them. "Goodnight Alex," he said softly, hoping his friend felt better now. "Night Jack," he said quietly, feeling alone.

"Hey Jack?" Alex whispered some time later. He wasn't sure if he'd answer, or if he was even still awake. "Yeah?" Jack answered from below, and Alex's heart jumped. "Would you...," Alex began, letting his emotions get the best of him, "come up here?" he finished, still looking up at the ceiling. Jack crawled from the bottom bed to where Alex was. "You okay?" Jack asked, slowly wrapping his arms around Alex, and hoping it was okay. "Now I am," Alex said softly, closing his eyes and finally falling asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Make it a sweet, sweet good bye," Alex sung softly, looking out at the morning sun. The door opened on the balcony and Jack stepped out. Instead of talking, he sat down next to Alex letting a smile cross his face. "That was beautiful," Jack said softly causing Alex to smile. "Did you ever think about making it into a song?" Jack asked, looking out at the sun then back to Alex. He shook his head, keeping his gaze on the sunrise. Alex looked over to Jack's brown eyes shimmering in the sunrise. "You think he'll appreciate it?" he asked, looking up for a moment, then back to Jack. "Yeah," Jack smiled softly, looking back into Alex's chocolate eyes.

Jack got up from the balcony, and went inside to return with a guitar. The he sat down next to Alex, and then handed the guitar to him . He began to strum, remembering his brothers favorite tune. "This has to be the opening," he said softly, closing his eyes and saying, "Make it a sweet, sweet goodbye." The whole thing sounded right. "It could be for the last time and it's not right. 'Don't let yourself get in over your head,' he said. Alone and far from home, I'll find you." Alex sang with his eyes closed, then slowly opened them as he stopped playing the guitar. Jack looked to Alex, a small smile on his face. "That was beautiful," Jack said softly, kissing the side of Alex's cheek, he withdrew quickly. Unsure sure if he was suppose to do that.. but it felt right.

Alex blushed, trying not to get caught up in the moment. He found himself strumming new chords, finding ways to make the tune of the song match the intro. He finally looked back to Jack once he felt his cheeks turn back to a normal color thinking of what to say. "Thanks," he said quietly, trying not to blush again. Alex found himself playing the intro, and felt the correct words to end the song were, "Sing me to sleep," he said softly, remembering those days on the car ride home, and the nights he was scared to sleep. The lullabies his brother would sing, that sang him to sleep. "I miss you, I'm so sorry," he ended, looking up from the guitar and to Jack. He felt as if this song was a lot of him, but it was how he wanted it. Solely, for his brother from him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack's thoughts had consumed him, and the whole ride home all he could think about was Alex. The way he listened to the music that was playing, his arm hanging out of the window, and his soft facial features that Jack couldn't take his eyes off of. Why did Alex have to look the way he did? And why was Jack so attracted to him? He just wanted him to feel safe. Alex asked him earlier to drive him home so his dad wouldn't see his car and know he was there. The guitarist felt uneasy with taking him home, but he really wanted Alex to be happy.

Jack walked Alex to the porch, feeling something had to be said. Alex stopped before the door, turning to Jack. "Thanks for today," his eyes having tiny sparkles from the dim porch light.

"Your welcome," Jack said softly, wanting to kiss Alex's lips badly at this point.

Alex pulled out his keys and unlocked the door, while Jack stood behind him. He opened the door halfway when Jack finally spoke. "I love you Alex, I always have," he said quietly, looking away, and hearing silence. He started to run away from the door, knowing Alex hated him now. But Alex came after him, grabbing his arm. "Jack wait...," he pleaded, wanting to talk it out and confess he felt the same way. "No.. I'm sorry, just forget it," Jack said, breaking Alex's weak grasp and opening his car door. "Stupid," he repeated, turning the key in the ignition and pulling away. He knew this would happen, he just didn't expect himself to feel so let down by it.