Lullabies

It's Like a Piece of Me is Missing

Image

The drive to his house left Alex an anxious mess. He really didn't want to have any contact with his father at all, and having to go home wasn't making him a happy camper. His mother would be worried, he knew it. She hadn't heard from him in three days now, or know how he was doing. The singer pulled up to the curb and parked, before turning off the car and letting himself take a breather. His dad's car wasn't in the driveway, which a meant business trip. He sighed in relief, and grabbed a few things from the backseat, then opened his car door to head inside.

Once inside he closed the door quietly behind him, not sure if his mom was home or not. He decided he would write her a letter and leave it on the counter, just incase she was to come in late, or wake up in the middle of the night. It wasn't like this was the first time he'd disconnected himself from the family - Alex and his dad never really did get along. He snuck up to his room, and got a change of clothes desperately wanting a shower.

A long shower just seemed right. The way the burning hot water ran down his face, rolled down his back, and dripped from his finger tips. He found himself enjoying the shower too much, and hurried to finish washing himself before the hot water ran out. He stepped from the shower and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around his waist and shaking his wet hair. Alex dressed himself and returned to his room ready for a good sleep.

The singer felt empty - alone. For the first time in a long time, no one's body was pressed up next to his. Jack's felt different then all of those girls. Strangely, he liked the fact that someone was holding him, instead of him holding someone else. Alex thought about a lot of his past girlfriends. Most of them just liked him because he was in a band, and really, he didn't have a problem with that. But right now, Jack was what he wanted, and needed. He fell asleep to the light rain tapping at his window again, lulling him to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning was all a blur until he met her. Alex and Jack met at school like always, and walked around on campus for ten minutes before school started. Her name was Lisa, and she was a fan of the band. She just moved to their high school from one town across. Alex recognized her from a show they played a while back at a Hot Topic. He enjoyed her company that morning, a woman addition to their group of four. The five of them talked before school, Lisa becoming a point of interest to them all. She had fourth hour with Alex and Jack, but not their lunch.

Alex spent all lunch period eating in the cafeteria and talking to Jack. He really did enjoy their time together, it was always so chilled out. Fourth hour came too soon, and Alex was really excited about it. Ever since he met Lisa he wanted to spend more time with her, get to know her. Her blonde hair delicately placed on her tiny shoulders, the way she sat in her chair looking so fragile, her large smile that could make anyone want to spend more time with her.

After school ended, Lisa showed up at Alex's locker. He smiled politely, turning from his locker to look at Lisa. "Hey." He smiled softly, looking at Lisa, then back into his locker to get some books for his large load of homework. "Hola Alex," Lisa said with a cute smile, hoping Alex would notice. He shut his locker door and slung his back pack onto his back. "Whats up?" he asked, walking with her from his locker, to the front doors of the school. Lisa kept walking, then pushed the doors open for them both. "Well, I was wondering when your next show was? I mean, you guys haven't played in quite a while," she said in a small voice, hoping he didn't mind her asking.

"Well," Alex started, recalling they might have a show booked for a few weeks from now, "I think we have a show a few weeks from now at a coffee shop downtown. You should come." He smiled, inviting Lisa to the show.

"That would be amazing!" she replied with a smile, trying not to show how excited she really was to be able to see him sing again.

"I've got to go," Alex said, spotting his car in the parking lot. "See you later?" he asked, then Lisa handed him a piece of paper.

"Call me later," she said as she kissed his cheek then turned to leave, leaving Alex confused with a white piece of paper in his hand.