Well I Know I'm Not Alright

Nice Guys Finish Last

I sat around the table with the rest of my family. We were all upset. It was me, and my brothers Justin and Chris. Chris rested his head on his arms and had bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep he was getting. Justin eyes were all red and puffy. I haven't looked in the mirror in days so I had no clue what I looked liked. Mike went to bed early since I wanted time alone with my brothers.

Justin sighed and got up to grab us beers. We were all old enough to be drinking. Justin had just turned 21, so you knew he was drinking ever night except this week. I was leaving for California tomorrow in the afternoon. "So, what's California like, Lizzie?" Justin asked as he sat down.

"It's nice. The beaches are a lot better." I said.

"I'm sure the waves are awesome." Chris said.

"Yeah. We have neighbors that go surfing all the time."

"I'm sure. I can't believe dad is gone." Chris said as he sat up to drink his beer.

"What ahppen to the dude that hit dad anyway?" I asked.

"Well, he was charged with drinking and driving. Also getting sued by five other people." Justin said. I looked up.

"I didn't hear that story."

"Well, after he hit dad, he drove off anf hit at least five other people. They all survived though. Except dad." Justin said.

"Do you guys remember the time we all snuck out to see the Gun's and Roses concert in the city? He was so pissed when he saw us sneak back in at two in the morning." Chris said laughing. We all smiled towards Chris.

"Oh my god. I forgot about that! He wouldn't let any of us out for a whole week." Justin said.

"I think my hands still smell like wppd polish from dusting this whole house every day." I said.

"Yeah my knees still have the oil on them from the garage when he made me fix his car." Chris said.

"My shoes were green for a whole month because every weekend he mad eme mow that stupid lawn!" Justin said.

"I all remember is coming home to dad sitting at that table with his arms folded, and his eyes on all of us. I swear to god they had fire in them!" I stated.

"He yelled at us for another hour. The worst part was he woke us up at like five in the morning to shovel the driveway!" I said. We all started to laugh our asses off.

Five beers later, me and my brothers were all ready for bed. But we didn't want to for a reason. I started to think ever since I moved out to California, me and my brothers haven't talked very much. Justin was about to finish up college. My brother was working full time and just had another kid with his wife Erin. I guess that's why we didn't go to bed just yet.

"So, Justin, how's you love life going?" I asked.

"It's alright." Justin responded.

"My little brother is getting all the chicks!" Chris stated giving Justin a pat on the back.

"Nah. That's not my style. There's this girl."

"Oh. Please do tell." I said with a giggle.

"Her name's Kirsten. My age and a beautiful smile." Justin said with a smile.

"She sounds dreamy." I said.

About three in the morning we all went to bed. I alked into my old room where Mike slept and jumped on my bed. Mike moved a little but didn't wake up. I went under the covers and snuggled up next to him.

The next morning I woe up and it felt like a train hit me. I sat up and looked at the time. It was only nine in the morning. Mike was already up. I laid back down and covered my face with the pillow hoping the room would stop spinning. I then heard the door open.

I knew for a fact that it was Mike by the way he was walking towards me. "Baby? You awake?" He asked. I moaned as my headache was starting to hurt.

"I'm never drinking again." I stated. He laughed.

"Yeah, I heard that before." Mike said as he sat down next to me. I threw the pillow off of me and loked at his blue eyes.

"How much did you and your brothers drink last night?" He asked me.

"Not that much. Only about eight beers each." I said. His eyes went wide open.

"Lizzie. You must be dying right now!" He said.

"I've done much worse Mike. You just don't remember very well."

"Oh my god! Tre's birthday! I forgot all about that." I laughed as I remembered that night.