Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

Liondragon

Since she was unable to speak with Dumbledore about her concerns, Apollonia tried to do so on numerous occasions over the next week. The worry that consumed her left Apollonia feeling drained, barely wanting to do anything. And then there was what Tonks requested of the young Slytherin. It made Apollonia wish that she had joined Dumbledore’s Army last year; everyone there learned how to produce a patronus. Unfortunately, her status as a Slytherin deterred her from doing so; it was unclear at that point how Harry or one of the others would take a Slytherin joining their ranks. So, Apollonia would have to ask her brother to help with that. Or Hermione if Harry could not.

A full week passed before Apollonia got the chance to ask her brother about the Patronus Charm. She had two weeks until it was necessary for her to contact Tonks about what was going on and the Slytherin wasn’t sure how long it would take for her to cast the charm successfully. “Hey, Harry,” she asked as they were dueling each other during her father’s class, “is there any way that you could teach me the Patronus Charm? I need to learn it.” As her brother—nor anyone else save Tonks—wasn’t allowed to know that Apollonia was helping the Order with this, the younger Snape had no way of telling Harry the reason she needed to learn the charm. She left it out, hoping that her brother wouldn’t want to know why this was so important. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what he did.

“Why do you need to learn it?” Harry asked.

“To prove something,” Apollonia shrugged, coming up with a half-way decent excuse to explain this. “Tell me, Harry; have you ever seen a Death Eater cast a patronus of any kind?”

Harry thought about it for a minute. “Can’t say that I have.”

“Well, that’s exactly my point,” Apollonia explained. “Won’t my being able to cast a patronus prove to Ron once and for all that I’m not a Death Eater, that not all Slytherins are bad?” For whatever reason, that was the first thing Apollonia came up with. Subconsciously, the Slytherin must have known that her idea would help; she had to try it.

“I guess I could,” Harry shrugged.

“Thanks, Harry. I appreciate that,” Apollonia said as she silently countered the spell her brother threw in the Slytherin’s direction. “When can we start that? I need to learn it as soon as I can.”

Her brother shrugged. “Maybe after the Occulemency lessons tomorrow night. I doubt your father will pay any mind to meandering students if you’re there. We’ll find an empty classroom and start.”

Apollonia focused her emerald gaze on her brother. “Harry, do you even know what you’re saying? No matter what, that man will always catch the students who have sneaked out of bed.” The young Slytherin gave Harry a run-down—an edited version of how she met Bill and Charlie Weasley and Tonks—of an event eleven years ago. “I once heard of-” No, you lived it “-three students who received the worst detention imaginable-” yeah, you! “-because an irate Potions Master caught one of them out of bed after the other two caused a major explosion in the Potions lab. Should he catch us out of bed, we might get something far worse.”

“What did they get?” Harry asked.

Apollonia had no time to answer. Her father swept in to yell at them for talking. “Potter, Apollonia, cut the chatter and get dueling as you are supposed to,” her father said swiftly.

“But, we are dueling, sir,” Harry objected.

“None of your cheek, Potter,” the professor affirmed.

Once her father had moved on to the next pair—Ron and Hermione—Apollonia turned to her brother. “Harry, are you gunning for a detention? Do you want him to go hard on you tomorrow during our lesson?” she asked. Apollonia knew her father all too well, much better than his fellow teachers; Professor Severus Snape—Dark Arts aficionado—rather enjoyed the punishment portion of his job. He liked to come up with cruel and unusual punishment—herself being the most unique one that day eleven years ago—particularly the Gryffindors. Harry would surely get a detention if her father knew what was to occur after their Occulemency lesson. Even if it was to protect her—and convince Ronald Weasley of her allegiance to the Order—Harry might still get in trouble for what would happen, something that Apollonia knew would never completely forgive herself for.

After Defense against the Dark Arts ended, Apollonia spent the remainder of the day coming up with a way to keep her father from learning what was to occur on Saturday. If her father knew that Harry planned on teaching her the Patronus Charm, things would not turn out so well. At the end of her fourth year—when Harry insisted that Voldemort came back to life—Apollonia was informed of her father’s spying duties for the Order and the fact that he never wanted her to be a part of the war; it was part of the reason Apollonia never joined Dumbledore’s Army. Now, after a year and a half of keeping that promise, Apollonia needed to step up and help the Order; it was to protect family.

The evening passed without any answers and, as much as Apollonia would have liked to return to her room, there was no way she could without coming into contact with people she despised: Pansy and her friends: Millicent Bulstrode and Daphne Greengrass. Her other dormmate, Tracey Davis, wasn’t completely horrid, but still; Apollonia was not that fond of her. There was a reason she was invisible for all those years; she never cared all that much about the people in her year. It was only Draco she could stand; and that only started towards the end of her first year. Much of her first year was spent only associating with her father and a few of the students in Hufflepuff. And, because of it, Apollonia couldn’t bear to go near her room and consequently fell asleep in the common room.

The Slytherin woke up the following morning with a slight crick in her neck. She was rubbing her neck in pain as she trooped up to the Great Hall from the dungeon. Apollonia eventually slumped down into her seat and began eating something before hearing the sounds of wings, thus causing her to look up. “Willow,” she whispered, seeing the bluish-gray owl whom Apollonia named for the wood her mother’s wand was made of—a fact her father told her years ago when she first went to get her own wand, without mentioning that it was her mother’s. Apollonia, without even looking, knew what this was. For the past few days, Willow was at Number 4 Privet Drive, with Dudley. She had wondered when Dudley would send her back. The Slytherin took the letter from Willow, fed her a treat, and removed the letter from the envelope Dudley placed it in before reading it.

Apollonia,

Sorry I didn’t get this back sooner. Mum and Dad can’t ever know I’m speaking with you, so I could only ever write when they weren’t around. Things are rather weird here. It almost seems as if the goings on of the magical world have crossed into this world. Had we not talked about it over your break, I might not have realized that the sharp increase in murders as of late is because of what’s going on over there. I doubt Mum and Dad will be very pleased that any of this is going on; for the plan this summer—the one you told me about—I’ll try to convince my parents. Might not work though.

Talking with you this past month is relaxing. Before everything that happened, I was content with being a bully, beating up on those weak than me—especially Harry. After hearing about some of the things going on there, a part of me is glad that the demented thingies tried to attack me and Harry. I could never see myself as being that much of a bully that I would torture those who have done nothing. It’s positively horrid.

I really don’t know if I’ll ever be able to convince my parents to go along with anything that’s been going on. You’ve met them; Harry’s lived with them. It would take a miracle for them to see things the way I have. Though I’m still not fond of magic—and honestly, still a bit wary of it—I get what’s going on. Mum and Dad won’t understand. But, I’ll try harder.

See you this summer,

Dudley.


In all honesty, it came as no surprise to the Slytherin that her aunt and uncle would not listen to reason when it came to the magical world. Vernon and Petunia Dursley would not put up with magic, even if the plea came from their son. And, if they wouldn’t even listen to Dudley—their own flesh and blood—what chance did Apollonia or anyone from the Order stand at convince them to listen to what was going on within the magical community. She was lucky that Dudley believed her at all. He very well could have turned out like his parents. Had Dudley not been attacked by the Dementors, Apollonia might have him on her side.

Apollonia tucked the letter away and went off to the library. Upon nestling herself into a corner of the library, the Slytherin immersed herself in a book, having no desire to be disturbed. Unfortunately, fate had other plans. The Invisible Slytherin could hear the Ravenclaw regulars gossiping from the other side of the room, unaware of the fact that Apollonia was even in the room as well. Why? Apollonia thought. Why am I cursed to spend a Saturday morning in the library when the only thing I really want to do is follow Draco and find out what he’s been doing? The Slytherin was incensed that Draco had completely cut her out of his life; they had been friends for years. In all the years that Apollonia had been invisible, she was only ever okay with it because she knew that there was at least one person other than her father that knew she existed. Narcissa’s request from five months altered the status quo; she went from invisible, but in Draco’s life to visible and no longer a part of his life.

Until the time came for apparation lessons for sixth years, Apollonia remained in the library. She needed the alone time to sort through everything. Throughout the lesson, Apollonia peered between Harry and Draco. If it was at all possible, the young Snape would try to get close to her brother. Although, with Ron and Hermione on either side, it proved impossible; Ron would never let her near Harry. Regarding Draco, Apollonia wanted nothing more than to go speak with him, only he never let her anywhere near him. Her fingers traced over the snake pendant necklace, her last reminder of Draco. No contact, even from Narcissa, had come from the Malfoys, not since the term began. And, Apollonia hated it.

After the apparation lesson, Apollonia spent her afternoon simply wandering around the school, an activity that brought her up to dinner. She ate in sullen silence before meeting Harry and walking to her father’s office. “Have you found a classroom we can use for the lesson?” she asked her brother just before arriving at the corridor her father’s office was located in.

“Yeah, I found one,” Harry informed her.

“And what about a way to keep my father from learning what we’re doing?” the Slytherin inquired. “I’m not exactly supposed to fighting in the war; he didn’t want me to be a part of this because there was a chance he could lose me. If Dad discovers that you’re teaching me this, he might jump to the conclusion that I’m taking part in fighting. He could take drastic action if it’s ever discovered that I’m doing this.” Even though the only reason I’m learning the spell is to protect the Dursleys. Dad wouldn’t understand what I’m doing.

“We’ll figure something out,” Harry replied.

The pair of siblings entered her father’s office and prepared themselves for this latest Occulemency lesson. “Mr. Potter, Apollonia, I do hope you’ve been practicing. You have knowledge of something that would be of great use to the Dark Lord. Should knowledge of any kind reach the Dark Lord’s ears from either one of you, the Wizarding World could be in great danger.”

“Yes, Dad. I know,” Apollonia replied.

“There no need to tell us what we already know,” Harry stated indignantly. “You tell us this every Saturday, drilled it into our heads so that your daughter and I could recite it.”

“Shut up!” Apollonia whispered to her brother, elbowing him in the side. “Would you like to get in trouble? Do you have some wish to die at my father’s hand, leaving the whole world defenseless to any takeover that Voldemort might try?” Apollonia had no desire to see such a thing happen. So, she would do whatever she could to keep her brother out of trouble. In fact, I have the perfect idea. It had not yet been discussed, but Apollonia had to try. Given her father’s natural talent for the skill, a trait she inherited, the young Snape had to try. Legilimens!

Since she cast the spell both nonverbally and wandlessly, Apollonia felt a rush of her brother’s memories onslaught her; she caught her brother off guard, when his shields weren’t up. Dudley picking on Harry…Aunt Petunia yelling at him to do the chores…Uncle Vernon sending him to the cupboard…a large dog—whom Harry identified as Ripper within the memory—chasing Harry into a tree…and her brother forced to stand out in the cold, then not getting cared for when he caught a case of pneumonia.

It was at that point that Harry pushed her out. “Hey!” he declared. “You weren’t supposed do it nonverbally. I was at least supposed to have some kind of warning of the attack.”

“Though, who’s to say that Voldemort won’t do the same thing?” Apollonia questioned of the savior of the Wizarding World. “Would Voldemort really ask Oh, I’m going to attack you; you might want to put up your defense?” It was a valid claim. Voldemort would take any opportunity to gain the upper hand; it was a sneaky, underhand thing to do, right within the purview of a Slytherin like herself. The only difference here was that Apollonia was doing it with good intentions, to help her brother, in a sneaky underhanded way.

“My daughter is correct, Mr. Potter,” her father said. “Protect yourself at all times. An attack could be coming at any time. See that you remember that. Now, Mr. Potter, I believe it’s your turn.”

Knowing that there were certain memories that Apollonia simply couldn’t let her brother see, she quickly made certain that her shields could not be breached. Any memory that held mention to the fact that she was Harry Potter’s sister needed to be kept under wraps; it was a closely guarded secret, one only she could ever speak of. But, that fact wouldn’t stop Voldemort from learning the truth. Though he would never be able to speak of such a thing, he would still know and plan accordingly. Apollonia would be targeted if she did not continue to guard this secret. The younger Snape set certain blockades around that secret, stronger than the other memories. He won’t get to that secret.

As Apollonia was setting the barriers around the secret, she felt Harry digging into her memory. Her father would not be too pleased about that, only the fact that she held back the memories pertaining to their true relationship. The day her hair turned dual-tone…hearing bedtime stories from her father…shopping at Ollivander’s for her wand: holly and unicorn hair, eleven inches…and her Sorting. It was at that point in which Harry found the blockade she recently set. “What was that?” Harry asked after being forced out.

“What was what?” Apollonia asked.

“There was a lightning storm surrounding some of your memories,” Harry informed her. “I couldn’t get through. When I made any attempt, I was forced out of your head.”

“Good, so it worked,” Apollonia grinned.

“You did that?” Harry asked her.

She nodded. “What did you think I was doing when you attacked me, Harry? There are some things that you simply aren’t allowed to know. I refuse to grant you access to view those memories. Letting you view those memories is allowing Voldemort to win.”

“Okay,” Harry shrugged.

Their lesson continued for another hour before Apollonia and Harry were dismissed from her father’s office. “Mr. Potter, you may go. Apollonia, a moment please.” After Harry was dismissed, closing the door behind him. “Your lightning storm? What was beyond it?” her father asked.

“You know the answer to that, Dad,” Apollonia shrugged.

“Your mother,” he realized.

“If anyone made it into my head, the only secret that must truly remain that way is Mum’s existence,” Apollonia shrugged. “I may be the only one who can speak of her identity, but people can still learn it using Legilimency. I’m not about to take such a chance.”

“Good,” her father declared. “It seems you’re a natural Occulemens, much like I am. Your brother, not so much. It took far longer to teach him. Looks like I may not have to worry all that much about you. Depending on how strong that lightning storm is, you will be safe.”

Apollonia nodded. “I know, Dad.”

“Have a good night then, Apollonia,” he stated.

“Night Dad,” she said, leaving the room to go find her brother. The Patronus Charm lesson was next on the agenda. If she was to contact Tonks, learning this was imperative.

“Apollonia,” Harry hissed.

“Harry, where are you?” Apollonia asked. With very little light, Apollonia could barely see what was straight in front of her. She had no idea where her brother was standing. She rolled her emerald eyes. “Harry, could you please stop messing around? At any point, my father could find us and we’ll be in major trouble for what we’re about to do.” Her brother appeared before her, tossing the invisibility cloak over her as well as himself. “You brought the invisibility cloak? Where did you hide it? I didn’t see it anywhere.”

“It was hidden outside your father’s office for easy access,” Harry explained. “It’s the only way we can sneak around the school without your father or Filch catching us. Now, come on; let’s go over to that empty classroom and teach you how to perform the Patronus Charm.”

The siblings headed over to the empty classroom Harry referred to where Apollonia made sure that no one could enter the room while they were in there. She was taking no chances of getting caught. This had to work. This was the only way for her to protect the people she cared about. Surely her father could understand that, despite the fact that she was involving herself in the war. Apollonia pulled out her holly wand and looked to her brother. “Okay, Harry, let’s get started here. If I am to prove my allegiance, learning this spell is the only way.”

“Right,” Harry said, gripping his own holly wand. “Well then, Apollonia, you might want to pay attention. Expecto Patronum!” A silver stag galloped from Harry’s wand, running circles around him and Apollonia. The stag then disappear like a puff of smoke.

“A stag?” Apollonia asked.

“In honor of my father,” he replied.

“I see,” the Slytherin mused.

“Now, that was the incantation. But, in order to cast the spell, you need a strong, happy memory. It won’t work unless you do. That’s the difficulty with the spell; you may not have a memory happy enough to sustain the patronus. If you can believe it, this is one of the few spells that Hermione had trouble with, simply because she didn’t have the memory she needed.”

“That’s surprising,” Apollonia stated.

“It was for Hermione as well,” he said.

“I can imagine,” she murmured.

“Now, let’s see what you can do,” her brother said.

Apollonia’s mind flitted to the first happy memory she could think of. This has to work, the emerald-eyed girl thought. I am not about to lose the people I care about. As she thought of the chosen memory, Apollonia called out the spell. “Expecto Patronum!” A small sphere of energy erupted from her wand, holding for a few seconds before disappearing.

“What memory did you choose?” Harry inquired.

“Summer after my first year,” Apollonia said.

“It should be a stronger memory, I think,” her brother stated. “If you want a corporeal patronus, you should pick a stronger memory and try again. When Professor Lupin taught me this in third year, it took me I think about four or five tries to produce a full corporeal patronus.”

Then, it might be time to pull out my favorite memory, Apollonia thought wickedly. Since Tonks was the reason she was even learning this in the first place, why not use the memory that started it all. Dungeon Bat. Charlie’s hair red and purple. Funniest thing I’ve seen in a million years. “Expecto Patronum!” she called, thinking of the day she first met Tonks and Bill and Charlie Weasley. And, it seemed to work too because a large silver image erupted from her wand, flying around the room before either Apollonia or Harry could catch a glimpse of its form. It was a rather large form for a patronus with smooth scales, large protruding eyes, and a fringe around its head. “A dragon.”

“Chinese Fireball to be precise,” Harry stated as the dragon disappeared. “I haven’t seen one since fourth year when Viktor Krum faced one as his first task, but there’s no way I could ever forget what one looked like. Also known as the liondragon if I recall.”

“Liondragon,” Apollonia scoffed. “Of course.” The reason for the form her patronus took was clear; the Latin form of dragon was Draco. As for the breed, Fireballs were known to be scarlet in color, with golden spikes framing its face like the mane of a lion. The lion was also the mascot of Gryffindor. Somehow, the form her patronus took on reflected the two enemies, who also happened to be the two most important people in her life, aside from her father; Draco represented the form and Harry represented the breed.

“Your patronus is extremely revealing,” Harry noted.

“And what does it say about my personality,” she asked.

“That you’re in love with Malfoy,” he said. “Why else would your patronus take on the form of a dragon? Though, the breed was not what I was expecting. I can only wonder why that is. But, the form is definitely because you’re in love with the damn Death Eater.”

You’re going to regret ever saying that, Apollonia thought. The second you learn that I’m your sister; you’ll rue the day you ever implied that I was in love with Draco Malfoy. Apollonia could not bring herself to say if her brother’s assumption was right or not. Perhaps on some level, but she couldn’t say for sure if what her brother said was completely accurate. “I don’t know if you really want to say that,” Apollonia suggested. And besides, Draco barely acknowledged her existence over the past five weeks; he was far too focused in his own life to care about the fact that there was a possibility of Apollonia being in love with him.

“It’s true though,” Harry insisted. “Why else would you defend someone that you know is a Death Eater? Surely you can see the type of person he is, yet you choose to defend him. You obviously care about the ferret more than you’re letting on. Even I can see that.”

Apollonia rolled her eyes, recalling her own words about the obvious relationship between Ron and Hermione. She also remembered what her brother said at Slughorn’s party. Her own words came back to haunt her that night, just as they were right now. “Well, I’m going to get going,” Apollonia informed her brother. “You should get back to Gryffindor Tower as well.”

“I will shortly,” Harry said. Apollonia was about to leave when she heard her brother ask her something. “What was the memory you used, by the way? The one that helped produce your patronus?”

“Not now,” Apollonia “I’ll tell you someday. Just not now.” Upon answering her brother’s rather impromptu question, Apollonia headed down to the Slytherin common room. She needed to get down there before her father realized what she and Harry were doing after their Occulemency lesson. She flopped down on one of the black leather couches and began thinking. Her sixth year was not as the Slytherin expected it to be; it was supposed to be a time for her to focus on her schooling. Apollonia, by the time she turned thirteen, knew what she wanted to do with her life; she expected to be getting ready for her future at this juncture. Instead, she was forced to sit and worry about what might happen to the people she cared about. “All I want,” she muttered, “is for my life to be normal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I put a lot of thought into this chapter. It was definitely one of my favorites to write.

Comment and subscribe.