Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

An Unexpected Ally

February dissipated into nothingness and soon March was upon the castle. The first week of March rolled by only for Apollonia to run into her brother during the middle of that first week. He seemed rather jumpy as the Slytherin passed. When Apollonia placed a hand on her brother’s shoulder, the Gryffindor jumped. “Harry, what’s going on; why are you so nervous?” she questioned. For whatever reason, her Gryffindor brother seemed extremely agitated as he went by, more so than he usually was. “Come on, Harry; what’s happening?”

“Ron was poisoned,” Harry explained. “He has been since his birthday five days ago; I’m going to see him now.” Apollonia’s eyes bulged upon hear that. As much as she despised Ronald Weasley for the way that he treated her, simply because of the house she was in, the Slytherin never wanted to see anyone get harmed like that. “Why would anyone give Slughorn a poisoned mead anyway?” Harry continued saying. “Who would ever want to poison him?”

“Poisoned mead?” Apollonia asked.

Harry nodded. “Slughorn had it. Supposed to give it to Dumbledore or something, but instead kept it for himself. Ron definitely didn’t appreciate the fact that Slughorn’s nothing but a greedy old man.”

“Dumbledore was supposed to get it?” she wondered.

“Left around Christmas or something,” Harry explained.

The second Apollonia heard that, she understood what was going on. Unlike most of the students attending Hogwarts, Apollonia was not an idiot. It was very clear to the Slytherin that all of this was the result of something that was never supposed to happen. Draco! She realized. He left it at Slughorn’s party that night he decided to gatecrash, hoping it would get to Dumbledore. It’s because of him that my brother’s best friend nearly died. What the hell? It appeared as if Apollonia had stumbled upon the reason for Draco’s strange behavior; he was trying to kill Dumbledore! I need to confront him. I need to try to stop him. “Wow. Well, I’d wish him well,” Apollonia said, “but I doubt that Ron would be too fond of the fact that a Slytherin would wish to see a Gryffindor well again.”

“Yes, I suppose that’s true,” Harry said.

“I need to get going,” Apollonia informed her brother. “There’s someone that I really need to go see.” Who though? Who am I supposed to go to in order to figure this out? Dad is out of the question; that much is clear. Draco hasn’t let me anywhere near him- During her Potions class, when there was a complicated potion, Apollonia usually found herself working with either Blaise or Theodore; it was never Draco as she would have preferred. I should probably just go have a talk with Dumbledore; he might be able to help.

Unfortunately, Apollonia didn’t make it to the Headmaster’s office; she was sidetracked by a personal attack on her character by whom else but Pansy Parkinson. “It’s the nobody!” Pansy yelled.

Apollonia grimaced. “Shut up, Parkinson!”

“Why should I?” the girl cackled. “It’s not as if you have anyone who can help you. The little nobody has no friends she can rely on for help. Though, who would ever care to notice you?”

Anyone within the Malfoy house, Apollonia thought. Wait; that’s it. I know who I can get to do this. He was only ever around that first summer I spent at Malfoy Manor, but I’m sure that it will work. Apollonia stormed away from Pansy and her friends, heading straight for the kitchen. This could be my only chance. It’s my only chance at watching over Draco. She arrived at the kitchen and headed inside, looking for a particular house elf. “Dobby!” she called. The house elf appeared before her, big eyes looking up in shock.

“Miss Apollonia?” the house elf asked.

The Slytherin smiled. “Hello Dobby.” It was only during the first summer she spent at Malfoy Manor in which Apollonia got to know Dobby. At the hands of her brother—though she didn’t know it at the time—Dobby was freed of service from the Malfoys. After that, Apollonia only ever saw the former Malfoy house elf in passing while he worked at Hogwarts. Dobby doesn’t know that I’m Harry’s sister, does he? Hmm? I wonder if telling him of that fact might help me. Because it was her brother who freed the elf, Dobby might agree to help her if he became aware of whom Apollonia’s mother was.

Dobby’s eyes lit up. “And, what would Miss Apollonia like?”

“I need a favor, Dobby,” she said.

“What favor might that be?” he questioned.

Apollonia bit her lip. She had seen how Lucius Malfoy treated the poor elf while in the Malfoy’s service. Her request might not go so well. “Dobby, please watch over Draco and inform me of what he’s doing. I fear he might be doing something terrible and will not bode well for him.”

“Watch over Dobby’s former master?” Dobby asked.

“Please Dobby?” Apollonia insisted.

“Dobby doesn’t think he should,” the house elf murmured.

I need to tell him then. I must inform him of the fact that I’m Harry’s sister, as much as I know I shouldn’t. Apollonia took a deep breath and looked down upon the former Malfoy house elf. “Dobby, would it interest you to know that I’m Harry Potter’s sister?”

“You are the Great Harry Potter’s sister?” the house elf asked.

The Slytherin nodded. “I am indeed, Dobby. And, surely you would want to do a favor for his twin sister,” Apollonia mused. It was wrong of Apollonia to use Dobby’s devotion to her brother against the house elf—the Slytherin knew and understood that perfectly well—however, it was all she could do to ensure that Draco was okay, and that her suspicions were confirmed. The Slytherin could think of nothing else that might work in ensuring that her best friend was okay. “Now, would you please go watch over Draco for me; I need to know exactly what he’s been up to.” Come on, Dobby; do as I ask. Watch over Draco.

“I will, Miss Apollonia,” the house elf said.

“Oh; one more thing,” Apollonia said. Because of Dobby’s abiding loyalty to her brother, one thing had to be made very clear. “Dobby, you cannot tell Harry that I’m his sister. Until I tell him, those aware of the truth must keep their mouths shut. Dobby, remember my father?”

The house elf nodded. “Snape.”

“Right,” Apollonia nodded. “If Harry should learn that I’m his sister, I warn you now that it will be my father to dole out the punishment. There’s that as well as the fact that Harry might be killed if he is aware of us being siblings, half or otherwise. Please keep that in mind should you run into Harry. My secret must be concealed until Voldemort is no more.” Upon speaking to house elf, Apollonia bid goodnight to him and the other house elves before leaving for her dormitory. This has to work. If I am to stop Draco from killing Dumbledore as I suspect he’s been trying to do, Dobby might be my only chance.

Apollonia sat on her bed contemplating these past six months. It was not the normal year the Slytherin expected. Draco was not supposed to be a Death Eater; that was where her plan for this year got off course. No, that’s not true, Apollonia realized as she cast the Patronus Charm and her dragon flew around her. It was Lucius trying to break into the Ministry. Lucius is the only reason I might lose my best friend to this monster. Had the incident at the Ministry never come to pass, my friendship with Draco would still exist. But, what am I supposed to do because of it? If Draco won’t speak to me, how in the world am I supposed to ensure that he remains a part of my life the way I want it to?

As per usual, the Chinese Fireball disappeared in a whiff of smoke. For the moment, it appeared as if the Slytherin’s patronus was the only thing that reminded her of the fact that Draco was once her friend. She was cut out of his life a mere two months ago and Apollonia feared she could stand it no longer. It was why she asked Dobby to watch over him, because there was no possible way for Apollonia to do so herself. With Dobby however, there was no huge issue; spying on Draco was no problem for the Malfoys’ former house elf. Apollonia felt bad for using Dobby’s loyalty to Harry against him, but it was her only chance. “Sorry, Dobby,” she muttered. “Sorry for making you follow Draco. But, it has to be done.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.