Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

When Everything Changes

For the next ten days, Apollonia fell into a routine. Each morning she would skip down to the Great Hall, awaiting Pansy’s arrival and the subsequent picture that Creevey captured of the pug-faced girl’s humiliation. Following breakfast and her classes, Apollonia would head down to the Hospital Wing to speak with Draco; he spent the first three days unconscious, though by the fourth day, he was awake. Madam Pomfrey, however, refused to let him out for another four days, giving Apollonia ample time to speak with her friend.

Admittedly, Draco tried to avoid her, but when Apollonia informed him that she was the only student permitted to even see him, he cracked. They spoke every day until the eighth day when Draco was released. He decided to question Apollonia about what happened. And, honestly, even she couldn’t have predicted his reaction. Apollonia was seated at the end of the Slytherin table waiting for Pansy’s arrival when someone slid in beside her; she looked up to find that, for the first time in months, Draco Malfoy was at her side. “You’re mental, you know that,” he muttered. “I’ve spent months trying to keep you away from me and, in one foul swoop, you’ve ruined that, and it can all be attributed to Potter and his antics. Why, Apolla, are you so intent on keeping me a part of your life?”

“Stupid question, Draco. Immensely stupid question right there,” the Slytherin muttered. “I care. I’ve always cared. For years, you and your parents were the only people outside of my father who knew that I existed. Even Dobby, for however short a period we were around each other, knew that I existed. So, don’t try blaming me for trying to keep the one person who always cared in my life, as you attempted to stay away.”

“And, what of Saint Potter?” Draco demanded.

“What about him?” Apollonia asked.

“Don’t get snippy with me, Apolla!” Draco warned. “You knew perfectly well what I’m referring to. Or did you forget that you told Potter of that reason we’re even friends?”

“I definitely didn’t forget,” Apolla snapped. “It’s just that even that isn’t the same. He knows who I am, yes; but I’ll never be as close to him as I am to you. And, if you hadn’t noticed, after Harry hit you with that curse—which, mind you, he didn’t know what it did—I did try to stop the bleeding until my father came. See that you remember that, my friend.”

“Why the bloody hell would he even think to use a spell that he had no idea as to the effects?” Draco raged. “No one in the world is stupid enough to ever do something like that.”

“Harry did, and he regrets it,” Apollonia informed him.

“Yeah, right,” Draco scoffed. At that moment, Pansy came storming into the Great Hall, her face completely red from the potion. “What happened to Pansy? Why’s her face so blotchy?”

Apollonia smirked. “Call it payback for all the times she decided to insult me and you weren’t around.” With insults getting flung at her at least once a week, he should have at least noticed what was going on. But, he was never around—too busy in the Room of Requirement—to notice the predicament Apollonia found herself in. “So, I did the only thing I could; used a potion I accidentally created when I was three and dosed Parkinson with the stuff. The first three days were spent with dual-tone hair, but the fourth day began the start of her immensely blotchy skin.” She glared at Draco. “Had you paid attention to what was going on like you were supposed to there would have been no need to do this.”

“So,
I’m to blame?” he queried.

“Of course!” Apollonia hissed at him angrily. “My father was never capable of keeping Pansy’s acid tongue at bay; only you could do that. And so, you’re culpable for what that witch has done to me these past few months, for the horrid way she chooses to treat me.” The Slytherin saw a brief flicker of concern pass across his features before the apathy returned. “You care. I know you care. Though, it definitely doesn’t explain why you don’t want me anywhere near you. I never quite understood why you would do such a thing.”

“I have my reasons,” Draco replied. “So, why did your father not brew the antidote for Pansy? Surely he would be willing to help Pansy escape the potion’s effects.”

The younger Snape shook her head. “I informed him of what happened and he warned Pansy that the potion’s effects were a part of her punishment for harassing me as she has. Nothing that my father or any of the other professors have done is even remotely capable of changing Pansy’s ways.” Apollonia only hoped that her stunt would make Pansy see that how she was treating Apollonia was wrong. Of course, the announcement her father intended on making couldn’t hurt. It would help the pug-faced Slytherin realize just how much damage she caused by harassing a professor’s daughter. Severus Snape’s wrath might not subside for a long time because of what Pansy did to her over the past six years.

“I warned her over and over,” Draco stated.

“And, since when does she listen?” she asked.

“It’s because of that inability to listen that makes me think that your somewhat unusual punishment for her might be the only thing that can help,” Draco grimaced. “That girl needs to learn her lesson and could be the only one to do it.” He stood up from the Slytherin table and walked away, leaving Apollonia to mull things over as he went to join his friends.


To be perfectly honest, Apollonia hadn’t expected that Draco would agree with her decision regarding Pansy’s punishment. She hadn’t expected a response at all. Although Draco hadn’t spoken to her since then, so it seemed to have been a one-time thing, to which Apollonia was thoroughly perturbed by. He spoke with her for just a matter of minutes before returning to his own problems. So, the Slytherin spent the remaining time of Pansy’s punishment in a quiet solitude before Harry decided that it was time he pulled her aside so she could discuss things with Colin about the pictures she wanted.

“These pictures,” Colin asked, “why did I take them?”

“How would you like to torture Pansy Parkinson even further?” she asked. The prospect of any Gryffindor getting back at a Slytherin—so long as it was not Apollonia herself—was sure to convince Colin to do as she asked. And, being in Slytherin once again comes in handy, the girl thought. She phrased it exactly so in order to ensure that she got what she wanted. I have Mum’s heart and Dad’s cunning. Of course, she knew that her mother’s attributes overpowered her father’s; it explained the rarity of using her Slytherin traits.

“What must be done?” he queried.

“I’ll need at least six copies of each picture,” Apollonia explained to the Gryffindor. “There are several people I need to show this to in addition to the copy I want for myself and the copy I intend on using to humiliate Pansy even further than she already has.”

“You really do hate her, don’t you?” Harry asked.

“More than you will ever know,” she muttered.

Unfortunately for Apollonia, developing the pictures took longer than she expected because she wished for them to be in color. As much as she wanted this done before the end of school, which was fast approaching, it was on Creevey’s schedule that the Slytherin had to do things. It was only around early June that Apollonia was able to get her hands on the pictures. Apollonia laughed as she looked through the pictures and watched Pansy running into the Great Hall, the effects of the potion glittering in brilliant colors. Creevey had done well. The Slytherin was about to head up to the Owlery to send the pictures, along with a letter to the twins explaining what was going on when she heard a crash.

Upon tucking the pictures into her pocket, Apollonia rushed to the nearest window. There below was a sight that Apollonia never thought she’d see in her life: a limp Dumbledore. Is he…? The Slytherin couldn’t finish her thought as she watched her father and Draco come barreling down from what appeared to be the Astronomy Tower. Her father glanced in her direction, throwing her an apologetic look. It did not take long for Apollonia to realize what happened. “He did it,” she whispered. “Dad killed Dumbledore.” It was difficult for her to process. How could her father ever do something so stupid?

Apollonia was pulled out of her head when she heard someone call out to her. It was a voice she hadn’t heard in a few weeks. “Apolla, hide!” Draco called as he ran past her.

While Apollonia shrunk into a corner, Harry came rushing after the Slytherin pair, making Apollonia rather curious as to what was going on. So, she cast a Disillusionment Charm over herself and followed her brother, hoping to catch a glimpse of what was going on. And, she did indeed. There were Death Eaters in the castle; reeking havoc on the school, destroying the school. He knew! He let them in! Apollonia realized. While the Death Eaters were doing so, Apollonia took note of the fact that some of the Order members had appeared, including Bill Weasley. The eldest Weasley appeared to be fighting a man called Fenrir Greyback. Bill was attacked and Apollonia had to hold in a gasp as it occurred.

She pulled out her wand and muttered a curse at him, knowing the being under the Disillusionment Charm would protect her. As soon as things were cleared, Apollonia got Bill to the Hospital Wing. Ron will never trust me if he learns who my father is, and if I don’t help Bill. She arrived at the Hospital Wing, supporting Bill with one arm. “Madam Pomfrey!” she called after deactivating the Disillusionment Charm. She needed to alert the mediwitch as to what happened and let her know that it was Apollonia to bring the oldest Weasley here. Otherwise, the trust she ascertained from Harry and Hermione over the past few months would crumble. Plus, Ron would never trust her at all. That was not something that the Slytherin could afford to have happen, not after her first encounter with any Weasley from eleven years ago.

The mediwitch gasped when she saw what happened to Bill. “This way, Ms. Snape.” She nodded and got the eldest Weasley to a bed before beginning to help the woman do what she could for Bill. It was her father who killed Dumbledore; if Harry or anyone else was to trust her ever again after what her father did, then she had to help with Bill.

Then, there was always what happened to her father. Since the beginning of the year, Apollonia knew that her father would eventually get driven out of Hogwarts. Not once had Apollonia ever expected that it would come down to this, that her father would kill the Headmaster after Draco seemed incapable of doing so. Just as I thought, she realized. I was too late to stop my father from being evicted from the school. And, he took Draco with him. The Slytherin had lost Draco along with her father in the aftermath; it was far too cruel.

While she was helping Madam Pomfrey tend to the eldest Weasley’s injury, Apollonia heard footsteps coming towards her. Concerned that it was Ron, the Slytherin spun around, only to find Ginny Weasley staring back at her. The Weasley girl’s eyes widened at the sight of her brother. “What happened to him?” she asked, looking at the scarring on his face.

“He was attacked by Greyback,” Apollonia explained in a quiet voice to the youngest Weasley. Upon noting the terrified look in her eyes, the Slytherin continued. “I watched it happen and got him here as soon as I could. Though, I really don’t know if he’s okay. You’ll have to wait and see.” Apollonia hoped that nothing would happen to Bill though. She thought of the pictures Creevey gave her a few hours ago. If Bill is like this for much longer, the whole Weasley clan should arrive in time and I can deal with my potion then.

As Madam Pomfrey dealt with Bill’s injuries, Apollonia slipped away to grab something from the dungeon. By the time she returned, Professor McGonagall, the former Professor Lupin, Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Fleur Delacour and the rest of the Weasley clan was in the Hospital Wing. They seemed to be discussing everything that happened, including her father. Apollonia, not wanting to disturb them, remained in the corridor. It was only when Tonks spotted her that the Slytherin agreed to come in. “I don’t know, Dora. Maybe I shouldn’t because it was my father who started this,” Apollonia reminded her.

“You’re still helping the Order,” Tonks insisted.

“I guess,” Apollonia shrugged.

Tonks’s appearance shifted to the effects of the potion Apollonia created, a mirror image of what Charlie had eleven years ago: red and purple hair, and blotchy skin. “Your father isn’t around. You’re helping us continue our efforts,” the metamorphagus declared suddenly.

“Okay,” Apollonia murmured. She stepped back into the Hospital Wing, sidling up beside Charlie Weasley. She was unsure about this—thanks to Ron’s hatred of her father and all other Slytherins—but Tonks would vouch for her, so she would have to try. “Is he okay?” the Slytherin questioned no one in particular. Apollonia eyed Lupin carefully, as he seemed equally concerned as the Weasleys. Greyback, she thought. Didn’t Dad once tell me that that man was a werewolf? Of course! That was who bit Lupin. Damn it! I hope I got to him soon enough. Otherwise, there could be some major trouble.

“They think he’s…” Charlie’s answer was cut off as he gasped at the sight of Tonks coming in. “Dora, what happened to your hair and face?” the second-eldest Weasley questioned. From the look on his face, Apollonia could tell that he recognized the effects.

“Was that from the attack?” Lupin asked.

Tonks shook her head. “No.” Her features returned to normal and she eyed Charlie. “I was just reminding an old friend of something that happened a long time ago,” she replied.

“No,” Charlie grumbled. “After what Snape did, why would you pick now to bring up something like that? That was one of the worst detentions that the Dungeon Bat ever gave.”

Apollonia hid a grin. He remembered. The Slytherin elbowed the second-eldest Weasley. “So glad you liked what I did,” she chuckled. “I’m afraid you did deserve it though. I was only five years-old at the time that occurred and you chose to underestimate my abilities. Well, I sure did get you back for that. Shall I do so again, or have you learned your lesson?”

Charlie turned. “You!”

The Slytherin smirked. “How could you have possibly forgotten that I was to be in the same year as Ron?” she scolded, casting a glance at the youngest Weasley son, who looked very pissed. “It was made very clear—in fact I seem to recall you mentioning to my father that baby-sitting me would be easy—that Ron and I were the same age. It was you mentioning Ron that caused you hair to turn purple, if I recall correctly.” Apollonia once again looked over at Ron, whose face seemed to be turning bright red. Like a tomato.

“HOW DARE YOU COME STORMING IN HERE, YOU SNEAKING, CONNIVING SLYTHERIN? YOU PROBABLY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH SNAPE KILLING THE HEADMASTER!” Ron exploded, trying to attack Apollonia for being in the Hospital Wing. “GET OUT OF HERE! GO JOIN SNAPE AND MALFOY, THE COWARDS!”

Remaining calm—something that the youngest Weasley should have thought about—Apollonia addressed him. “Had it not been for me bringing Bill here, he might have died. I care just as much as you. I was five when I first met Bill, Charlie, and Dora. So SHUT UP!” It seemed as if Ron was never going to understand why Apollonia helped Bill. She grimaced and, glancing at Harry briefly, pulled out her wand. “Expecto Patronum!” A Chinese Fireball erupted from her wand. “If I was a Death Eater, like you so claim, Ron, how could I possibly produce a Patronus? Death Eaters don’t have very many happy memories.” She cast a quick glance at Charlie. “Incidentally, Charlie, I use the memory of the detention—your appearance in particular—as my happy memory. One of my finest, don’t you agree?”

“Yeah,” Charlie muttered.

“Still sore about what I did, huh?” the Slytherin asked the second-eldest Weasley, whom she also recalled being a Dragon Keeper. He nodded. “Well, I had good cause, if you recall. Just keep that tongue at bay. I will do it again should you do something like that again.”

A soft chuckle was heard from the bed behind her. Everyone spun around to see that Bill was awake; awake, but weak. “Your father assigned one of the worst detentions imaginable.”

“Thank you,” Apollonia said as Tonks, Charlie, Harry, and Hermione chuckled with the eldest Weasley. “So glad you agree. I had fun with that one, torturing the three of you.”

“Who is your father?” Ron demanded.

“You sound like Pansy!” Apollonia grumbled.

The trio gasped. “He doesn’t know.”

“Never felt the need to tell him,” the Invisible Slytherin mumbled. “He’s prejudiced against Slytherins, think they’re all Dark Wizards. I think tonight just proved that.”

“Yeah, that’s for sure,” Harry was heard to say.

“WHO IS HE?” Ron demanded.

Since it would only end badly, Apollonia opted not to inform the youngest Weasley son of her true identity. It simply wasn’t an option. Things would only end badly if Ronald Weasley knew who she was. Instead, it was Charlie who told his brother. “Apollonia SNAPE.” Apollonia winced as soon as her name was said in everyone’s presence. Out of everyone in the room, it was only Ron who might take the news badly. Ginny saw that she was the one to bring Bill in; Fred and George would be in awe of the prank on their brother; Professor McGonagall, Bill, Charlie, Tonks, Harry, and Hermione knew; Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were too mature for childish tantrums; and Lupin would take it in stride. Ronald Weasley, however, hated all Slytherins; that would never change. And, it was especially so when it came to her father; she knew and accepted the fact that there were people who despised him.

“SNAPE!” Ron roared. “Why is she HERE then?”

“Oh, shut up, Ron!” Apollonia bellowed. “If I was a damn Death Eater, I would have left Bill to die. But, if you hadn’t noticed, I didn’t do such a thing. I helped him. Keep that in mind, the next time you speak to me. I basically saved your brother’s life tonight.”

The Slytherin was about to leave when the Weasley twins decided to bound up to her and pull her back into the Hospital Wing before she was able to make her escape. They seemed delighted. One, Apollonia suspected it was Fred, grinned at her. “Ms. Snape, did you really…”

“…prank our older brother,” the other finished.

“I did indeed,” Apollonia replied. Now’s the time to put my plan into action, the reason I left the Hospital Wing to begin with. “You know boys; you two look a bit peaky. Perhaps you should take a potion for that.” She pulled out two vials and a few bat wings, winking at Charlie as she did. “Here. I have something here. Just add the final ingredient in and take a sip.”

“No!” Charlie yelled.

Charlie’s warning came too late, for the twins had already added the bat wings into the Pepper-Up potion. A miasma appeared around them, only to disappear a few moments later. Where two red-head boys should have been were twins with dual-tone hair, incidentally red and purple like their brother before them. Apollonia laughed. “I can’t believe that worked. I just pranked the Weasley twins!” She turned to Bill and Charlie. “You know, had either of you informed the boys of my potion, Fred and George might have avoided this. The both of you know how I create the potion; they could even be selling it in their store.”

“Not a bad idea…” Fred began.

“…Ms, Snape,” George finished.

“Glad you agree,” Apollonia grinned. “I had intended on showing you the instance in which I pranked Pansy Parkinson using the same potion. Within the next ten days, you’ll be watching the effects. My only trouble with it yet is that I can’t quite contain the effects for another person. I had hoped you might help me with that; in fact, I was actually headed up to the Owlery to send you the letter explaining everything when Dumbledore fell.”

“Lucky me,” Bill muttered.

“You’re grateful I did though,” Apollonia reminded the eldest Weasley. “Otherwise, we wouldn’t be having this discussion, nor would you be able to marry Fleur.” She pointed to indicate the blonde woman holding tightly onto Bill’s hand, the once Beauxbatons champion in the inappropriately named Tri-Wizard Tournament. “Please keep that in mind, Bill.” Upon making that known to Bill, Apollonia headed over to join her brother. There were things that the siblings needed to discuss, like what just happened. “Harry?”

“Not now, Apollonia,” he said sulkily. “I’m simply not in the mood for any of this. I just lost yet another person who cares about me to this war. It really isn’t the time to discuss your father or his part in everything that happened, including that he was the Half-Blood Prince.”

“Oh, so you know about that,” Apollonia swallowed.

“I do. Did you know?” he queried.

“The second I saw the book,” the younger Snape admitted. “He showed it to me a long time ago. In fact, it was actually the first week of our first year. So, I recognized the Potions manual immediately. I can tell you what I can about it, but not right now. It’s really not the place.”

“When?” her brother asked.

“As soon as I get the chance,” she informed him. “Thanks to what my father did, there’s a slight problem of what happens to me.” That wasn’t true. Arrangements were made over Christmas break for Apollonia to return home with her brother, a fact that Apollonia had yet to share with anyone. Though she knew that would have to change. Professor—or rather Headmistress now—McGonagall needed to know of the arrangements her father made for her. Malfoy Manor simply wasn’t an option, especially now that Draco had fled the school in the company of her father. Spinner’s End where her father’s home existed wasn’t an option either. No, Apollonia needed to go to Number Four Privet Drive with her brother, remaining there until the protection gave way on Harry’s and her seventeenth birthday.

“Ms. Snape!” Headmistress McGonagall called.

Apollonia drifted away from her brother—the Chosen One’s—side and went to follow the newly-appointed Headmistress up to her office, the room that, only hours ago, was home to Albus Dumbledore. The office would never feel right; no one could ever be a greater Headmaster than that of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. “Professor, you wanted to see me?” Apollonia queried, looking up at her. “What would you like of me?”

“Ms. Snape, we must discuss your situation,” she replied.

“I thought as much,” Apollonia shrugged.
♠ ♠ ♠
Though I'm currently wrapping up the events from sixth year, that doesn't mean that this story is over. I'm writing the seventh year into this story as well.

Comment and subscribe.