Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

Safety of Others

Just as she expected, only Dudley seemed nice towards her at all. Aunt Petunia trembled every time Apollonia walked into a room, though no one cared to explain why to Harry; Uncle Vernon growled and stomped about the house; and Harry simply glared at her. Dudley was friendly towards her, a fact that seemed to mystify Harry given the Dursleys’ propensity to complain about magic. Apollonia also suspected that her brother was still rather annoyed over the fact that her father killed Dumbledore. It had been about a month and a half since the man’s death and it was very clear that Harry would not be getting over it anytime soon.

The morning of July 27th came and Apollonia urged her cousin to do something nice for Harry. From Dudley’s room they watched as Harry opened the door and stepped on the proffered cup. Apollonia patted her cousin’s shoulder as one of his attempts at extending an olive branch to his mistreated cousin failed. “Sorry, Dudley. I guess he simply isn’t willing to do this. I think we’ve only got one try left.” It was four days until hers and Harry’s birthday, four days until the protection from Lily Potter dissipated. After that, well there was really no telling as to what might happen. But, she could be assured that Harry would not say goodbye to her.

As far as Apollonia could tell, her brother was packing, preparing to get away from the Dursleys forever. And, the fact that a message came for her, by way of patronus, only confirmed the suspicion. Kinsley Shacklebolt and Arthur Weasley were accompanying Apollonia and the Dursleys to their hidden location. Because she was the person no one would expect, it was agreed that Apollonia would become the secret-keeper for the Dursleys’ location; for that, she had Tonks—or rather the new Mrs. Lupin—to thanks. She knew of Apollonia’s secret and her connection to Harry. Arthur and Kinsley might not have agreed if not for that. Thanks to Dora’s influence, Apollonia was to play secret-keeper to the Dursleys and see to it that they were protected throughout the war.

Over the course of the day, Apollonia continued to receive some very nasty glares from her savior brother. Harry was still clueless as to the truth. She looked sadly at him. “He’s my brother,” she whispered. “How can I make him understand when the time comes?” Eventually, it came time for Apollonia and the Dursleys to leave for the safe house. Unfortunately, Vernon was not all that willing to leave. It was thanks to Dudley that the quartet even left with Arthur and Kingsley. She hugged her cousin. “Good for you, Dudley,” she said after seeing her cousin make one last attempt at befriending Harry, this one succeeding. “Maybe Harry won’t completely cut you out of his life. Not like me.”

“Still doesn’t trust you?” Dudley asked.

“Not a bit,” Apollonia sniffed sadly.

It took several hours for the group to arrive at their destination, a large stone structure. Apollonia emerged from the car they took and was immediately pulled aside by Arthur. She eyed the Weasley patriarch warily, wondering what he wanted. “Come, Ms Snape. The Dursley’s old home must be warded and I will need your help with that before we ward this place as well.” Apollonia was about to ask a question about that, but was quickly silenced. “Harry needed to be transported to our home. We needed to make sure he got there before warding the place. So, please grab hold, Ms. Snape and we will deal with this.”

After apparating back to Little Whinging, Apollonia turned her attention to Mr. Weasley. “Sir, you are aware that my birthday is not until July 31st, the same as Harry’s. I won’t be of age until then, meaning that I can’t exactly perform any magic until that day passes.”

“You are only needed to become the location’s secret-keeper, Ms. Snape,” the Weasley patriarch objected. “Nymphadora made it perfectly clear that you were the best person for the job, so you will become the secret-keeper to not only the Dursleys’ current location, but their former location. And, I will perform the spell; there is no need for you to use any magic.”

The Slytherin nodded and the wards were erected, followed by Mr. Weasley casting the Fidelius Charm. Once Arabella Figg was informed of the location, the pair returned to the site of the Dursleys’ safe house. A second Fidelius Charm was performed, this time with Arthur and Kingsley having knowledge of the safe house. Another round of apparition later brought the two wizards and nearly-of-age witch to what appeared to be a barren field. “Ms. Snape,” Mr. Weasley said. “Seeing as your safety, particularly from your father, is of the utmost importance, you will be stay here with us at the Burrow.”

Apollonia nodded and soon realized that the Burrow was protected under the Fidelius Charm as well, for the second that statement was uttered, the house appeared before her. Compared to Malfoy Manor where she spent all her summers, the Burrow was quaint and homey, a little small for raising so many kids. But, for now, it was the best place for her to be, no matter how small the place was. “Thanks, Mr. Weasley, I appreciate this.”

“No problem,” he stated.

As she stepped onto the property, Apollonia was brought into a good mood. Though the Slytherin’s pleasant countenance did not last when she saw her brother and Ron standing inside the Burrow. “What are you doing here?” Harry and Ron yelled at the Slytherin.

“Idiots!” Apollonia grumbled, pushing past them.

“Why are you here?” they repeated.

“She’s here for my wedding!” Bill called.

“Why invite her?” they questioned.

Apollonia and Bill exchanged a glance. Both knew that they didn’t get it. “I met her a long time ago, before she started Hogwarts,” Bill explained. “Prior to the end of the past school year, the last I saw of her was in my fourth year when Charlie, Dora, and I had to baby-sit her. Despite what happened that day, she made an impression. Only Snape’s daughter could ever pull something like that. Seeing her a few months ago reminded me of that. Get over it boys; she’s at the wedding whether you like it or not. Sorry, Apollonia.”

“It’s fine, Bill. Harry’s still pissed at me for what my father did. And, your brother is just pissed that I’m a Slytherin. Bloody hypocrite!” That was why she despised Ron. At least when it came to Draco, he made his opinions known; his prejudice against Muggleborns or anyone with Muggle heritage at all a common fact throughout the school. But, with Ronald Weasley, he claimed that everyone deserved a chance, except for Slytherins, hiding behind the fact that Tom Marvolo Riddle was a Slytherin. It infuriated her. Though, that was mostly due to the fact that Harry listened to his friend’s advice.

On her way by, Apollonia passed Fred and George Weasley. Something seemed different though; one of the twins had a bandage covering their left ear. “What happened?”

“George was hit as we were coming back,” Fred explained.

“You’re no longer identical then,” she realized.

“Sadly yes,” they said.

“Oh well, that’s too bad,” Apollonia muttered. “Though, the one good thing that came out of this is that I can tell you apart. I had a rather hard time of doing so the last time. Which, while I’m thinking about it, have you made any progress in fixing the problem with my Mottled Dye potion?”

“Didn’t have time. Sorry,” the twins apologized.

The Slytherin shrugged. “The war is far more important than perfecting my potion,” she agreed. “Dumbledore’s death put the war in full-force. If Harry doesn’t fulfill the prophecy, the world as we know it will cease to exist.” And I can’t let that happen, I can’t lose Harry, even if he is angry at me. I’ve already lost Dad and Draco; not Harry too. Apollonia slumped down into a chair. How am I ever going to convince everyone to trust me because of my association with them? The only reason I’m here is because Bill, Charlie, Tonks, and Hermione trust me above reproach, the latter two of which knowing my biggest secret. No one else in the Order trusted her to such a degree, but rather trusted the others’ judgment, and consequently Apollonia. Only four people truly trusted that she wasn’t siding with her father, simply because they knew the type of person she was.

Apollonia remained hunched over in the lumpy chair for awhile, eventually falling asleep as she thought about the situation she was in. Few trusted her and, as it was unclear as to whether or not Hogwarts was opening this year, it was not a good thing. The Slytherin could be of very little use if no one trusted her. Exactly what was she supposed to do if the people she was working with did not allow the young Slytherin to do anything to help in the war effort?
♠ ♠ ♠
We're in the start of the second half of the story now: the seventh book.

Comment and subscribe.