Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

Daddy's Little Princess

Due to Harry’s and Ron’s attitudes towards her, Apollonia interacted minimally with anyone from the Order. Every so often, she would speak with Tonks, Hermione, or the twins, but that was it. On July 31st—hers and Harry’s seventeenth birthday—there was a party for both of them, though it was not too difficult to determine that it was more so for Harry than anything. Apollonia was rather perturbed by this day, mostly since her father and Draco weren’t around. Nor did she receive anything from them, as she usually did. Though Kingsley did pop in from meeting with Dursleys with something from her cousin. Unfortunately, that was the only bright spot in her coming of age; the fact that Dudley was on her side.

The following day was the Weasley/Delacour wedding. Apollonia was grateful that Bill saw fit to invite her, recalling the incident almost twelve years ago. Of course, she did feel a bit out of place; Ron and Harry were glaring at her throughout the ceremony and well into the reception. To Apollonia’s immense relief, they soon settled down to speak with some of the other guests. Apollonia was glad for that; she was not all that willing to deal with that. Of course, arguing with either of them was better than listening to the message that came for them, by way of a lynx patronus. Clearly, it was Kingsley Shacklebolt’s patronus, as his voice was emitted from the silver lynx. His message brought bad tidings: The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming.

Chaos erupted from all sides. If Voldemort and his Death Eaters were able to take over, then there was really no telling as to what might happen next. Harry was here at the Burrow, so Apollonia suspected that he wanted the Chosen One dead. And, as Apollonia looked around, it seemed as if Harry, Hermione, and Ron went to grab their things and get away. She spotted Hermione sadly and waved goodbye to her before turning her attention to the Death Eaters that began apparating around them. So as to give her brother and his friends time to get away from the Burrow, Apollonia began attacking the Death Eaters. This was the first day she could use magic outside of Hogwarts and she intended on putting it to good use.

Upon dealing with one of the Death Eaters however, a hand clamped over her mouth. “Don’t struggle, Apolla. I don’t want to hurt you,” a familiar voice whispered in her ear.

“Dr…” she tried to say.

Silencio!” he muttered, cutting off Apollonia’s plea with a well-timed silencing charm. It was clear to Apollonia that this was not a part of the plan; Draco wasn’t supposed to be here. “Your father sent me, Apolla. He wants to speak with you about a few things; so would I, for that matter. So, I’m afraid you’ll have to come with me.” He took her hand and pressed it up against a pin palmed in his left hand. “Portus.” Apollonia felt a tug on her navel and felt herself getting transported somewhere. Damn it! A Portkey, she thought.

They landed in a place Apollonia recognized immediately: Hogwarts. Draco let her go and canceled the silencing spell. “Sorry, Apolla; it was the only way I get a hold of you.”

Apollonia hit him. “You could have asked.”

“Would you have agreed?” Draco countered.

“Don’t know,” Apollonia shrugged.

“And that’s exactly my point,” Draco declared. “I was not about to take any chances. The fact that you sided with Potter puts you in danger, Apolla; and you have no idea as to how much. That’s why we’re here, so that your father and I can explain what’s going on to you. Now, shall I silence you again to make sure that you listen to what we have to say?”

“No,” Apollonia muttered, crossing her arms and slumping down into one of the seats. Didn’t he realize just how miserable she was this summer? Dudley was a comfort, but it wasn’t enough; Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and Harry didn’t want her around, so Apollonia was usually on her own. “Now, what’s going on? What was so important that you felt the need to practically kidnap me in order to make me listen, though it was pointless?”

“You may have been willing come with me, but the Order would have fought back in order to protect you” Draco countered. “A fight with them is not something that your father and I could afford. This is far too important to leave to chance. I have orders to protect you and that’s exactly what I’m doing. Would you have rather gotten captured by one of the other Death Eaters?”

“No. And, who asked you to protect me?” she asked.

A third voice answered. “That would be me.”

“Dad?” she asked.

Her father swept in and took a seat in front of his daughter and Draco, who was just beside her. “Indeed. Now, shut up and listen, Apollonia. You know all too well of what will happen if you do not pay attention.” The Slytherin nodded. “Good. Since Mr. Malfoy found you where I expected you to be, then surely you must know that the Dark Lord has overthrown the Ministry.” She nodded again. “Well, while this was occurring, it was decided that Hogwarts will indeed open this September; however, the Dark Lord has made a few provisions, one of which may affect you. This has not been announced quite yet, but it soon will.”

“What is it?” Apollonia questioned.

Draco’s gray eyes focused on his friend. “Well, the fact that you have some Muggle heritage in you isn’t going to help you,” he replied crisply. “The Dark Lord is trying to continue what his ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, started. Pureblood supremacy, remember?”

Emerald eyes narrowed upon hearing what Draco had to say. If he knew about that, she was in trouble. “Draco Lucius Malfoy, tell me how you know that I’m not a Pureblood as everyone expected I was.” There was never a time in which Apollonia felt the need to mention such a thing to Draco, particularly when his family was in support of a Pureblood supremacy. “Let’s hear it, Draco, how are you aware of such a closely guarded secret? I made sure that you never heard any of that. Even Lucius was unaware of Dad’s blood status. How could you have possibly discovered such a thing?” Apollonia ran through every possibility, but could come up with no logical reason for Draco to know about this.

Draco reached into his pocket and pulled out a large silver snake pendant with emerald eyes. The younger Snape gasped when she realized that it was an exact duplicate of the one that hung around her neck. It never occurred to the Slytherin that Draco might have something like this. Apollonia peered up at Draco, wondering what was going on, why he had this pendant. “Ever since I gave you that necklace last Christmas, I’ve kept an eye on you using this,” he indicated the pendant. “At the beginning of the summer, I decided to do so; it was lucky I did too as I learned of your Muggle heritage. And, from your own mouth.”

All color drained from the Slytherin’s face. Had she known that Draco was spying on her throughout the summer, Apollonia would have kept a tighter lip on what was coming out of her mouth. Now it made sense as to what Draco meant by the pendant would protect her; he could spy on her. There were times when Apollonia mentioned her mother in Dudley’s presence, her brother too. Could Draco have heard any of that, thus circumventing the Fidelius Charm? “Was Mum ever mentioned?” she asked. “Did you ever hear me mention her by name?”

“No,” Draco admitted. “Not for the sake of trying.”

“You won’t find out,” Apollonia assured him. “I’m the only person in the world allowed to speak my mother’s identity, and I don’t intend on revealing that name until Voldemort is no more. You might as well not bother trying, Draco. I know for a fact that I’ll have to tell you one day, but it only occurs if Harry Potter is successful. I don’t care how much you hate him and actually want a Pureblood supremacy; that’s my condition. He wins and you learn the truth.” Under no circumstances did Apollonia ever intend on telling Draco any sooner; she would have to watch her words from now on. Draco couldn’t find out about this.

“Is that the only way?” the Malfoy enquired.

She nodded. “Afraid so.”

It seemed as if Draco was not willing to accept such a thing because she felt a push inside her head; Draco was searching for answers. My Occulemency shields are up, Draco. You aren’t getting in. You won’t learn my secret. Apollonia smirked when Draco pulled out of her head. “You know Occulemency!” he exclaimed. “You knew how to do that and never told me.”

“You’re the one that tried to go rooting throughout my head, searching for answers,” Apollonia countered. “Did you actually expect that my father would never teach me how to do that? I suppose it was only natural that you tried, but it isn’t going to work. At all times, Draco; my shields are always up. So, don’t even bother trying.” She grinned at her father, knowing that he would be pleased that Apollonia had taken the initiative to do that. “Now, is that all that you needed to tell me? Can I please get back to the Order?” No doubt they were worrying about seeing her taken, that something would happen to her.

“We aren’t done,” her father said.

And that will cause the Order to worry. It’s not like I can tell them that I was with my father and Draco Malfoy. She looked between her father and Draco, wondering what more they had to warn her about. Voldemort’s takeover of the Ministry changed everything; her brother and his friends were on the run because of this. Not to mention that Apollonia could lose the people she cared about as a result of darkness’s reign. “What must you tell me?” she asked.

“Since Hogwarts will be reopening come September, there are a few things you will need to know. For one thing, you are in danger; almost as much danger as Mr. Potter. Therefore, you must stick by Mr. Malfoy whenever you can. Under my order, he is to protect you. Secondly, I want you to report to me at least once a week; it’s being discussed that Death Eaters other than myself will be within the school. As you’re my daughter, I will make sure that nothing happens to you. Finally, if any attack on the school is made, I want you to get yourself to safety. I made it very clear that you must not be a part of this. And, you are going to stick to that promise, young lady. Your safety is of the utmost importance.”

“I know this, Dad,” she replied.

“Good.” Her father nodded to Draco. “You may send her back, Mr. Malfoy. The Order is protecting my daughter, as much as I am not fond of it. You will see her in a month’s time.”

“Yes, sir,” Draco agreed. He took hold of Apollonia once again, this time using a lighter touch. They emerged from her father’s office and began making their way throughout the castle. The Death Eater hung his head. “Sorry for pulling you out like that. It was the only way that I could be sure you would listen. And, there was another Death Eater was on his way over to attack you, so I needed you safe. When he gave the order to protect you, he never told me that you were on bloody Potter’s side of the war. After I learned that you were, he refused to release me from the protection detail simply because you opposed the side he and I fought for. I’m under strict orders from your father to keep you safe, no matter what side you support. And, that’s done at the cost of my own allegiance too.”

“You still could have asked?” Apollonia reminded him.

“And risk the others learning of your father’s order?” he asked.

“Fair point,” the young Snape muttered.

“Oh, before I take you back, there’s something I wanted to ask you,” Draco said. “Though, I didn’t want your father to know that I knew about what I’m about to ask you.”

“And what’s that?” she asked.

“Over the summer, I thought I heard you mention something that didn’t seem to make any sense,” Draco informed her. “I need to hear from your own mouth what’s going on.”

“And that is what?” she prodded.

“Well, I thought I heard you mention that you have a brother-” Before he could finish his thought, Apollonia gasped; it was clear that he figured out something that the Slytherin couldn’t exactly explain away. How could she hide it then? Hopefully, he didn’t know the identity of her brother; that would be a major problem. “So, it’s true. You DO have a brother! Why did you ever say? And, why would your brother hate you anyway?”

Almost immediately, Apollonia knew what Draco was referring to, and she silently cursed herself for not thinking to find out what charms were on the necklace. It was because she hadn’t that Draco had been allowed to learn of such a closely-guarded secret; not like he knew their identities, but still. “You’re not going to get answers, Draco. These are secrets, and that is exactly what they will remain until Voldemort is no more. So, you better hope that Harry destroys Voldemort; otherwise, I won’t ever tell you.” As much as Apollonia would have liked to tell Draco, she couldn’t bring herself to do so before Harry. Despite the fact that the Fidelius Charm prevented Draco from ever speaking of it, the Slytherin knew that there was a still a way for Voldemort to learn of it from her Death Eater friend. No, the secrecy would remain undisturbed and Harry would be the first to learn about this.

“Apolla!” Draco objected.

“Not a chance, Draco,” she warned. “You’ll learn about this when the time is right.” She shrugged. “Of course, even I don’t exactly know when that will be. It all depends on Harry.”

“Bloody Potter!” her companion grumbled.

Apollonia ignored Draco’s commentary. As much as she would like it to be so, Draco would never befriend Harry. The pair had their chance at friendship before the Sorting in first year. But, Draco insulted Ron and Harry spurned Draco’s offer of friendship. Apollonia, for much of their sixth year, often wished that it wasn’t so; for she, Harry, and Draco might have been close over the years had things turned out the way that she wanted them. It would never happen though; Draco was far too proud to admit his mistake. “Oh, get over it, Draco. This rivalry between you and Harry is getting extremely old. I swear, if I have to hear this all throughout our last year, I’m going to scream.” Apollonia had no clue as to how long it would take her brother, Hermione, and Ron to find the horcrux things—whatever they were. But, she knew that Draco would be complaining about them day and night; and it was something that she was not willing to sit through.

“Why do you support Potter anyway?” he asked.

“Figure it out for yourself,” Apollonia said sweetly. “When you figure it out, let me know. I’d love to see your reaction.” Now, that would be a sight; Draco learning that Harry Potter was her half-brother. He’d freak. Even Apollonia knew that and she longed to see it so. They arrived at the gate to the castle, and thus the boundary of the anti-apparation wards. “Okay, Draco. Take me back to where I was.” Apollonia was glad that the Burrow was under the Fidelius Charm; if it hadn’t, Draco might be able to attack them. “I’ll see you when school begins.”

Draco nodded and grabbed hold of her, apparating the Slytherin to the place where she was first caught off-guard. “Sorry, Apolla; sorry for taking you like that. But, you had to listen to what we had to say. Oh, and another thing; when Hogwarts begins, stay away from all Death Eaters, save for me and your father; that includes my father. He will show up.” With that, Draco disapparated, leaving Apollonia at the Burrow to ponder his words.

The remaining Weasleys, Lupin, and Dora came rushing out to meet Apollonia, to find out what happened. “You disappeared in the attack. We were afraid you’d been caught.”

“I was,” Apollonia admitted. “Though not in the way you’d think.” With that, the young Slytherin informed the Order that Draco Malfoy pulled her away from the fray, sending her to her father during the battle. The Order was shocked that a known Death Eater would protect her, but Apollonia defended him. “My father gave the order himself; he had no choice but to protect me. Though, even I don’t know why. It was never explained.” And, Apollonia wanted to know why that was. Why would Draco—a known Death Eater—protect Apollonia when she fought for the Order, and for Harry? It made no sense.

“Where were you taken?” Kingsley asked.

“Hogwarts,” Apollonia replied.

“What for?”

“He wished to inform me that the Board of Governor decided to open Hogwarts this year. Although, Voldemort has some provisions were made as to who enters; at least, I believe that’s what Dad said. Something about recording blood-status, or something,” Apollonia informed. “I spent years in Slytherin with most people thinking that I was a Pureblood. Draco uncovered that I’m not and got me in to speak with my father about that.”

“What is your blood-status?” one asked.

Rather than answering, Apollonia turned to the one person within the Order who knew the answer to the question that was posed. “Dora, would you mind explaining please?”

Quarter-Blood Princess,” the woman replied.

“What eez zat?” Fleur inquired.

Apollonia smirked. “Under Dumbledore’s order, I was asked to protect the Dursleys, for reasons that very few people truly understand. But, the fact that the recently-deceased headmaster’s order conflicted with my father’s earlier decree forced me to contact the Order—through Dora—using a codename. It’s a joke on my father, who was once known as the Half-Blood Prince; I am quite literally Daddy’s Little Princess.”

As spoke, Apollonia could see the wheels turning in everyone’s head, all save Dora; she knew exactly what they were doing and already knew the answer. Nymphadora was told seven months ago. “Your mother is muggleborn?” Mrs. Weasley asked tentatively.

“Yes,” the Slytherin replied. “And, that’s all I’ll say of my mother.” Under no circumstances was Apollonia Snape going to tell anyone, not even the Weasleys, that her mother was Lily Potter. Harry deserved that right to hear about this first; that Apollonia was borne of an affair between her father and Lily Potter. Apollonia learned about it in the months prior to Dumbledore’s killing, possibly so that she could tell Harry about what happened. But, telling anyone else before Harry was unacceptable, even those close to her.

“Understood,” Tonks said, winking at her.

Apollonia nodded and looked at the others. They might not take recent events in stride. Tonks was Draco’s cousin, and also knew her secret. No one else within the Order did, for the only others ones to know were either away or dead. For years, Draco and her father were the only ones that the young Snape could ever rely on; they had been the ones to care. And, even if they were serving Voldemort, it seemed that they were still protecting her. Much to everyone’s dismay, they seemed willing to protect her; and, that fact seemed to scare them a little bit. No one could come up with a logical explanation as to why both Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy were willing to defy Voldemort simply in order to protect her. It seemed rather inexplicable since even Apollonia didn’t know. But, she was determined to find out what was going on. Come September, she would find out why they were protecting her.

***

Upon apparating back to the gate, Draco trudged back up to the castle to continue making arrangements with his former Head of House in regards to Apollonia’s safety. He still couldn’t figure out why he was so willing to defy the Dark Lord’s order in favor of Professor Snape’s; what was it about Apollonia Snape that made him defy his family and all that he stood for? One day he would try to understand that; surely there was an explanation for all of this.

The girl’s father appeared not too long after Draco perched himself up in the Owlery. Draco looked back to find his former professor standing there, dressed in his normal black robes. “Did you inform my daughter as to the real reason she is being protected?” he asked.

“No, sir,” Draco informed him. “There’s no need for her to know that. And besides, professor, we’ve already discussed why I agreed to help you with this. It’s because I…”

“Yes, Mr. Malfoy,” he nodded. “I know.”

Draco nodded. The former professor was the one person who understood his plight, that Apollonia Snape would be his undoing. For years, Draco was always known as one of the Pureblood supremacists. Yet, here he was trying to protect someone fighting against that goal. If the Dark Lord, or anyone else, discovered what he was doing—even if it was Severus Snape’s daughter—he’d be killed for it. As would Snape and Apollonia. When school began in September, he would have to be careful in how he went about protecting Apolla. The Dark Lord was taking over the school and it would only cause problems for Apollonia if they discovered her allegiance. “How will we hide this?” Draco inquired. “No one can know that we are doing this; that was what you said. But, if there are to be more Death Eaters within the school, are they not going to notice when I am helping her?”

“You will have to be very careful when the new school year begins,” Severus confirmed. “Between the pair of us, we can only protect her so much. And, I believe the Order will be watching over her as well. They have been protecting her since Christmas.” At seeing the confused look of the young Malfoy’s face, the former professor expounded upon his initial statement. “I had gone to speak with Dumbledore around the end of January when I spotted my daughter and your cousin in a nearby hall speaking about something regarding the Order of the Phoenix; they are protecting my daughter thanks to your cousin’s influence.”

“My cousin?” Draco queried.

“Andromeda’s girl,” Severus reminded.

Upon hearing what the older man said, Draco understood what the former professor was getting at. Andromeda was his mother’s sister, the disowned one. No one—not his mother nor Auntie Bella—ever spoke of Andromeda or anything related to the middle Black sister because she married beneath her bloodline, for love rather than blood purity the way they were supposed to. She turned her back on her family for a muggleborn, or so the story went. And, though it was the cousin he knew nothing about, Draco was glad it was family looking out for Apollonia when he couldn’t; it made up for that fact that he couldn’t be there for her when he wanted to. But, if anything ever happened to Apollonia on her watch, Draco would see to it that they paid for allowing such a thing to occur. He refused to stand by and watch as Apollonia suffered. Not like during this past year with Pansy. “And, her identity?” Draco asked. “Will you reveal that she’s your daughter?”

“If I must, Mr. Malfoy,” Severus replied. “Now, we really must return to Malfoy Manor. If the Dark Lord learns that we’ve gone, he may learn of our deception; that we have conspired to protect my daughter from his wrath. Let us go then; we will return in a month.”

Draco nodded. “Yes, sir.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.