Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

Potter Problems

After the talk she had with Draco before breakfast, Apollonia knew that her classes would be weird. It was to be especially true for Potions today and Defense against the Dark Arts, both of which she had today. With the staffing changes made, it was evident that the atmosphere in each class would be different. And, as much as she didn’t want that to ever occur, it was necessary. There was no way for her to charge into Dumbledore’s office and demand a staffing change without so much as an explanation as to why. And, if her request was even granted, students would start to wonder why Dumbledore would grant the request of a sixth year. No, Apollonia would just have to deal with this, and protect her father.

Going through the course of her day, Apollonia knew of but two troubles she would have to face on this day: her father teaching Defense against the Dark Arts and Slughorn teaching Potions. When Dark Arts came, Apollonia went through the motions, not really paying attention to what her father was teaching. Her father didn’t really notice though; he was more intent on making a fool of Harry Potter than anything. Plus, she ignoring him anyway, not wanting the man who so callously disregarded his daughter’s feeling on the subject to be around. It was hard enough for Apollonia to not spend very much time with her father. But, it was a completely different thing altogether to know that he might not make it through the end of the year. Something was sure to happen, and Apollonia knew that. She knew it all too well of what was to come because Dumbledore gave in to her father’s request.

It soon came time for Potions with Slughorn, something Apollonia was positively dreading since the night before when she was apprised of the situation. She knew it would be different, that Slughorn’s teaching style would be different from her father’s. Despite her own aptitude at Potions, Apollonia felt weird about coming into a classroom once occupied by her father. Still, Apollonia followed Draco to the dungeon for Potions. And, when it was discovered that only a handful of people were able to manage an Outstanding to move on to N.E.W.T. level Potions—the ridiculous standard her father instituted—it only bothered her even more. If it was her father’s own twisted standards that allowed them to get in here, why wasn’t Severus Snape in here with them? It just wasn’t right. And, Apollonia hated her father for abandoning them like this, merely to teach the Dark Arts class

With only twelve students having advanced to this N.E.W.T. level Potions class, they soon separated into three groups of four. Draco, Apollonia, Blaise, and Theodore Nott claimed the back table of the dungeon for their own while the four Ravenclaws in this class—that Apollonia only vaguely recognized in passing—got a table to themselves. This left Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Hufflepuff Ernie MacMillan to a table, the only table that wasn’t devoted to one house. Apollonia sighed as they awaited Professor Slughorn’s arrival. “I don’t know if I can deal with my dad not teaching this class,” she whispered to Draco.

“You need to though,” Draco reminded her.

She nodded. “I’ll just have to deal.”

At that precise moment, Professor Slughorn chose to walk in and began the lesson. Things were going quite smoothly until Harry interrupted. “I haven’t got a book or scales or anything—nor Ron—we didn’t realize we’d be able to take the N.E.W.T., you see—”

Hearing this, Apollonia’s jaw dropped. Clearly, this class was not just filled with students her father hand-picked. Harry and Ron were proof of that. Still though, a majority of the people in this class got in here based on her father’s standards. Her father wanted only the best for his class and he wasn’t even there to teach them. Slughorn answered Harry while this was processing in Apollonia’s mind. “Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall did mention…not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. You can use ingredients from the storage cupboard today, and I’m sure we can lend you some scales, and we’ve got a small stock of old books here, they’ll do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts…”

“Wow,” Apollonia murmured. “I guess not everyone who made it in here did so by achieving my father’s ridiculously high standard. Dad never would have let those two in.”

“Yeah, and that would have been so much better. Now with him in this class, it’s going to be Saint Potter this and Saint Potter that. I’m so sick of that,” Draco grumbled. “Zabini mentioned something last night about Slughorn having taken a liking to Potter, both while on the train and beforehand during the summer. No doubt Potter will be his favorite. Right, Zabini?”

“Absolutely,” Zabini agreed.

As it turned out, Apollonia soon discovered that the boys were right: Harry was definitely favored. Not that Apollonia minded; she really didn’t. It was more or less Draco that had a problem with it. When class ended, he spent his time grumbling about Slughorn’s favoritism of Harry. He was mostly upset over the fact that Harry was congratulated by Slughorn and likened to his mother. Then, when Draco attempted to coax Slughorn over by talking about his grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy, he was shot down quite dejectedly, as if Draco didn’t matter. “Potter never even should have made it into this close, at least based on your father’s standards. I don’t care how good his mother was at Potions when she was in school; N.E.W.T. level Potions are too much for Saint Potter to handle.”

Apollonia elbowed him gently. “Oh, come on; you’re just jealous over the fact that Harry got the Felix Felicis you wanted so much. Why you’d want liquid luck so much is beyond me though,” she muttered as they made their way up from the dungeon. “You don’t need it.”

“Yes, I do,” Draco argued. “And, you wouldn’t understand.”

That boy needs a nice attitude adjustment, Apollonia thought as they headed to the library. There are times that I feel like I don’t even know him. I want to know what’s going on, but I know he won’t tell me. Whatever’s going on with him—like the reason for him wanting that Felix Felicis—may never be known to me, as much as I want him to confide in me. Draco Malfoy hasn’t been the same around me all summer, these last two weeks being especially torturous for me. It was almost as if Draco was purposely trying to distance himself from Apollonia, something she would not let him do with what Narcissa asked of her.

Despite all their past experiences, Apollonia could not, in good conscience, bring herself to deny Narcissa Malfoy’s respect. She wanted, and needed to watch over Draco. Clearly there was something the matter with him, and Apollonia knew that she could help him with this. But, Draco seemed to refuse to let her, even despite the friendship she had with him. “Draco,” she said quietly, “would you please just tell me what’s going on? You don’t want to push me away.”

“Maybe I do,” Draco insisted.

“For what reason?” Apollonia wondered.

“It’s personal,” he replied, “and you know better than to ask me about it, Apolla. There’s no way I’d ever tell anyone, even you, what was required of me. Asking me to tell you was pointless.”

Apollonia groaned. It seemed to be time to change the subject. She may have wanted him to confide in her, but he was too stubborn, too proud for his own good. “Okay, whatever. But, since you seem so intent on keeping this to yourself, I’ll let you keep your secret. Now, let’s just drop this and get to the homework that was assigned to us.”

Draco let out a soft growl. “Fine.”

Though she could clearly tell that Draco was pissed about losing the Felix Felicis he wanted so much, Apollonia knew that she was starting to get his mind off of that. Nothing was going to be right this year, not so long as Draco Malfoy was acting weird. Apollonia sighed. It was going be difficult for her to watch over Draco if he wasn’t willing to accept her help. All she was trying to do was help. But, how was she to do that?

While they were on their way to the Great Hall, Apollonia saw the one person she didn’t want to see: Pansy Parkinson. “Draco!” she whined. “What are you doing with her at your side?”

“She’s a friend,” Draco informed her.

“A friend!” she exclaimed. “How is she a friend?”

“I’m closer to him than you’ll ever know,” Apollonia warned. “Despite the fact that I never hung out with him until this year, we were always close; he knows something about me that no one else will ever know, and that’s more than you can say about your relationship with him. Get over your clinginess regarding Draco, because clearly you have issues.”

Pansy scoffed. “Oh, yeah; I have issues.”

“Shut up, Pansy!” Draco bellowed. “Apolla’s right. I do know something about her that no one else does. And, if you knew what I know, you’d treat Apolla better than you have. It’s been said before; her father will destroy you if he knew how you treated his daughter.”

“And, who is your father?” Pansy shrieked at Apollonia.

Her father always seemed to have a penchant for showing up at the right place at the right time. And, indeed, her father did show up at that precise moment. Apollonia saw him coming out of the corner of her eye, but refused to acknowledge him. It seemed as if Draco knew he was there as well. “Snape! Draco called, both answering Pansy’s impertinent question, and alerting her as to the fact that their Head of House coming towards the trio.

Pansy, not caring that Snape was there, waved it off and turned back to Apollonia. “Who is your father? And, tell me, how is he so powerful that he can make my life miserable?”

Apollonia grumbled. “Well, since your knowledge of who my dad is won’t change the fact that you like to treat me like crap because of my attitude, I don’t think I should tell you. Then, when you find out who I truly am, you come begging to me for mercy, something I will not give, as I told you yesterday. Now, shove off, Pansy; this doesn’t concern you!” She put her head in her hands, attempting to suppress a fit of giggles.”

“You’re laughing?” Draco asked, skeptically.

“Pansy. Is. An. Idiot,” she said through the giggles. “You provided her with the answer she desired, and she’s still clueless. How long will it take that girl to realize just how much of a mistake she’s making in treating me like this?” Apollonia rolled her eyes. “I really do hate Pansy. Out of everyone in the school, she’s the one who keeps trying to figure out what’s going on. As much as someone needs to know who I am, it can’t be her.”

“Clearly,” he agreed. “But, who would you tell?” A brilliant gleam appeared in Apollonia’s eyes, and he seemed to know instantly what she intended. “No! I won’t allow it.”

“I think I have to, Draco,” Apollonia argued. “Despite our friendship, you will never truly understand how much I hate what my father’s been doing; they will though. As much as you might not want it, I do. Please don’t even bother trying to change my mind. I don’t think it’ll work.”

Draco’s silvery eyes showed disgust. “Well, if you intend on telling them, I don’t you anywhere near me. I may have allowed it this first day, but not if they’re going to know the truth.” He stormed away, not seeming to care what Apollonia had to say in her defense.
♠ ♠ ♠
It took me awhile to get this chapter just the way I wanted it. There's important aspects needed in this chapter for later chapters.

Comment and subscribe.