Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

Warnings and Protection

As soon as Apollonia was handed off to Draco, Severus insisted that Alecto follow him to retrieve Amycus as well; it was best to do this at the same time. Seeing as both of the Carrows were intent on targeting the Head Girl, a joint lecture would be needed. It was his daughter they were targeting. Didn’t those dunderheads realize that Severus would be pissed when he discovered that they were trying to turn Apollonia to their cause when she was so clearly in support of the light? When Amycus joined the group—after Severus forcibly dismissed his class—a furious father turned on the two siblings. “How DARE you target my daughter?” he exploded. “I made it very clear that she was not to be targeted…EVER!”

Severus was beyond livid that something like this would ever happen. He had hoped that Apollonia was merely exaggerating, perhaps in an attempt to get him to pay more attention to the castle and its current inhabitants. He was rather busy trying to figure out how to get Gryffindor’s sword to Potter and that task side-tracked him quite a bit. Attempting to figure that out had taken up much of his time and his duties as Headmaster were forgotten for the time being. His daughter suffered for that lack of judgment, particularly seeing as Draco was denied the chance to help her. This was exactly the reason that the Headmaster had no desire to see his daughter involved in the war; he was sure that something would happen to her if she did. And, the Dark Lord was not helping matters.

Each of the Carrows began babbling some pitiful excuse, the most notable being her blood-status. And when he learned that one, Severus had only one response to give them: “I’m a half-blood, I’ll have you know. And, if I recall correctly, I’m closer to the Dark Lord than either of you.” It was not something he ever planned on admitting to any of the Death Eaters, aside from Lucius, but it had to be said. And besides, the Dark Lord did not care—not completely—that Severus was a half-blood, only that he was committed to the cause; it also helped that he was the only Potions Master within the ranks. That was where the mistake was made; Apollonia was in full support of her brother and would never pull the same stunt that he did. “I will warn you one more time; after that, I will see to it that you suffer a fate worth than death: my daughter must not be harmed, no matter what the Dark Lord says.”

“But…but…” they sputtered.

In the same way that his daughter refused to betray Potter, neither would Severus stand for his daughter to be harmed. She was far too important. “No!” Severus bellowed. “Harming my daughter anymore than you already have will mean certain death for both of you. See that you remember that for the next time either of you wish to torture a student in any of your classes.”

With that taken care of, Severus headed to the Hospital Wing to see how his daughter was faring. And, as he neared Pomfrey’s domain, he heard his daughter speaking, like she wasn’t even injured. “I’m just glad that Dad finally saw reason and is doing something about the Carrows. The fact that their spells don’t affect me doesn’t matter. In fact, the Carrows shouldn’t even be doing this to me, not if they wish to invoke Dad’s wrath.”

Severus did not expect that to come out of his daughter’s mouth? And, did he just hear Apollonia right; that the Carrows’ spells did not affect the Head Girl the way that they should have? If that were the case, he might actually be able to relax. There might not be anything for him to worry about. He entered the room silently before alerting Apollonia—and Draco, whom she was talking to—as to his presence. “How right you are,” Severus said

“Dad?” she asked, looking up.

“What was that you said about not being affected by anything the Carrows might throw at you?” he queried. He was curious as to what that might have meant, how his daughter might be protected from the likes of the bloody Carrows, possibly even all of the Death Eaters.

It was not Apollonia, as Severus expected, who told the story, but rather Draco. “I gave it to her as a Christmas gift,” the Head Boy muttered. “With no way for me to actually be at side and protect her, I did so the best way I could; I charmed the necklace she’s wearing to protect her. During the summer and the first day of term was the only time that it was inactive. Other than that, she’s been protected since Christmas when I gave it to her; and, she will remain that way until such a time that I agree to remove the necklace.”

The older man grinned. It was a clever bit of magic that Draco was able to pull off. And, quite surprisingly, it was not something that Severus came up with as a way to protect his daughter. It seems that Mr. Malfoy is proving that his love for Apollonia is above his pride. I do believe that’s the first time it ever happened. And, this is even after discovering that her connection to Potter. When the Head Boy discovered that Apollonia was Lily’s daughter, Severus expected that Draco would turn away from her. But, Draco Lucius Malfoy seemed willing to protect her, to watch over her, despite a relative of hers of whom he despised. “And, it cannot be removed?” Severus queried of the young Head Boy.

“Not unless I do it,” Draco replied.

“And the Carrows?” he asked. “How is this hidden?”

This time it was Apollonia who answered. “I spend a portion of my day here in the Hospital Wing,” the girl shrugged. “Evenings on days when I don’t have a Carrow class; and immediately after the Dark Arts or Muggle Studies so the Carrows never find out that their Crucios don’t affect me. I’m part of the reason that injured students are healed quicker than Poppy can reach them.”

Severus quirked an eyebrow at that. Since when had Apollonia been referred to the Hogwarts medi-witch by her first name? No student was ever permitted to call her such; although, there were times when Severus recalled the Marauders doing so, whether it was to annoy her or because they spent so much time there. In any case, why was his daughter referred to Poppy with such familiarity? “I didn’t know you were so close to Poppy,” he stated.

“Blame yourself for that!” Apollonia yelled. “If you stepped in earlier than you did, I might not be helping Poppy tend to the students. And, it’s the easiest way for me to help in the war effort without actually fighting. Draco is the only one doing anything to protect me these days; he’s the only reason I haven’t given into that asshole’s request. And, what are you doing; you’re resting on your laurels while this school crumbles around you, while Harry is in danger. Dad, you know what he means to me! You know better than anyone!”

Severus caught a slight twinkle in Draco’s eyes, a small smirk playing on his lips, as the young Head Boy sat at Apollonia’s side. Malfoy, you’re lucky to even have that knowledge. I only allowed you to keep that knowledge—rather than oblivating you as I would have done to anyone else that should not know about this—because of your love for my daughter; the devotion you’ve shown towards her when I cannot be there to protect her. “I’m aware of that, young lady. I believe I know that better than anyone, as you stated.”

“Then act that way!” she screamed.

Severus glared at his daughter. “Young lady, you know better than to speak to be in such a way. And, as for what I’ve been doing, I’m doing what’s best for the Wizarding World.”

“Then why is the war still going on?” she asked.

“Apollonia, watch the attitude,” he warned, though it seemed a moot point at the moment. Staring absently at his daughter’s jade green eyes—the eyes that reminded Severus so much of her dearly-belated mother—the Headmaster could see a determination to do whatever she could to help in the war effort; it was so much like her mother, it was scary. “I am doing things my way. I’m not about to change my plans simply because you asked me to. You are but a seventeen year-old girl, only just learning of the hardships that go along with this war. What I’m doing is for the best, even if it does not seem that way.” There was a part of Severus that wanted to tell his daughter of the plan to help Potter, but Albus was quite insistent that even she remain oblivious as to plan, even if she was able to help them. He and Albus discussed it at length last night about how Apollonia might be able to help in their mission, but that she was not to know the full scope of the plan if Severus were to follow through with the possible plan; that his loyalty was truly to Potter.

Seeing as the Carrows were targeting her—and Severus could not be sure that the two siblings would follow his order, or continue trying to turn Apollonia into a Death Eater as the Dark Lord ordered—it was best if Apollonia knew nothing of her father’s true loyalty. Because of that, Severus had to listen his daughter screaming and yelling about the fact that he had turned his back on her and Harry, unable to tell her the truth behind the plan he and Albus concocted. His daughter really seemed to care about Potter. How that occurred within a year’s time was beyond him. Potter was often with Albus, as the dying man trained the Chosen One to defeat the Dark Lord; outside of Defense—as Severus purposely paired Apollonia with her brother for class; anything to keep Potter from pairing with Weasley, even if it meant her learning the truth about her parentage before was planned, or even necessary—Severus was sure that his daughter rarely spent any time with her brother. How could they be so close, to the point in which she was trying to help in?

“Then do something about it!” she yelled.

Apollonia stormed off to help Poppy, allowing Severus to turn his attention to the Head Boy. Gratitude for what was done needed to be expressed for Draco doing what Severus could not. “I appreciate your help in protecting my daughter, Draco. Not even I thought to use something of hers as a form of protection. You really do love Apollonia enough to do that for her, don’t you?” He nodded. “There is much that I have to worry about at the moment and you would do well to watch out for her. Neither of the Carrows—nor the Dark Lord—is aware of her biggest secret. And, I suggest that it stay that way. You and I are the only ones standing in the way of my daughter becoming a Death Eater; that and her mother.”

“I know, sir,” the Head Boy said.

“Watch over her, Mr. Malfoy. I have my own issues to deal with and am unable to do so myself. It’s why I asked you to watch over in the first place. You and Potter are the only ones that can protect her while I deal with the issue at hand. I know you despise Potter—there are times that I do myself—but he is the one person other than yourself with whom I can entrust with Apollonia’s safety. There may come a point, in which you need his help, so do not shun his help simply because he spurned your offer of friendship all those years ago. We live in very different times and Potter might be the only way to ensure that his sister does not become a Death Eater. See that you remember that fact, Draco.”

With that final warning, Severus left the Hospital Wing and returned to his office for the next few hours. Thanks to Draco, his daughter seemed to be protected from anything that the Carrows might try; the ingenuity of the necklace he gave her. And while Draco seemed to have Apollonia’s situation under control, Severus could go deal with Potter, somehow find a way to get Gryffindor’s sword out to Potter. As Albus once mentioned to Severus, Potter destroyed one of the Dark Lord’s horcruxes. If he destroyed one with the sword once, he could do so again. It was the reason that Albus asked that the sword be delivered to the Chosen One, so that another fragment of the Dark Lord’s soul could easily be destroyed. Now, how to get that sword to Potter and his friends? Severus wondered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.