Sequel: Princess Sunburst

Secrets of a Slytherin Princess

The Potter Connection

Apollonia’s holiday was peaceful, the most peaceful time she’d have for the next three months. She returned to Hogwarts two weeks later, knowing perfectly well that the Carrows would try to get to her. The Head Girl was just glad that the Carrows wouldn’t be on the train back to the school; they were already at the school getting ready for the new term, meaning that Apollonia would have to be careful from the second she stepped foot on Hogwarts ground. She had no doubt that the Carrows would continue their attempts at trying to force her to become a Death Eater, despite her father’s intervention on Halloween. Voldemort wanted her on his side, wanted her to fight against her brother, though there was no way that that maniac could ever know of the connection between her and Harry.

Draco, as per usual, was at her side. It seemed that he was taking her father’s order to heart. Even after he just spent time around his master, Draco still felt the need to watch over her. Apollonia could only imagine what trouble he would be in if they were ever discovered. There were six months left of school, six months between now and when Apollonia, Draco, Neville, and all other seventh-years took their N.E.W.T.s and went off into the world. And that was all the time that Apollonia needed to get through the Carrows. After that, the only thing that the young Snape would have to worry about was the possibility of this war lasting longer than necessary, because it would be at that point in which Apollonia Lily Evans Snape was officially allowed to join the Order of the Phoenix.

“How was your holiday?” Draco asked.

“Relaxing,” Apollonia answered. It was the most relaxing period of that she had in the past five months, ever since Bill’s wedding to Fleur when Voldemort took over the Ministry.

“More than mine I’ll bet,” Draco muttered.

Apollonia recalled Draco saying that his master was staying at Malfoy Manor, ever since last Christmas actually. And since Draco failed in killing Dumbledore—no matter whether it was done or not, Draco was not the one to cast the spell—he, Narcissa, and Lucius—not that she cared about the latter—were prisoners in their own home. “That’s true, I suppose.” In the back of her mind, Apollonia saw a fleeting image of her brother trying to pull what she later realized was Gryffindor’s Sword—an item that could have only come from her father’s office—out of pool of water. And though her father seemed to be helping Harry to a certain extent, it wasn’t enough. “My holiday was definitely better than some. And I can think of at least three people that had a worse holiday than even you,” she said.

The Head Boy glared daggers at Apollonia. “Why are you bringing up those Gryffindor misfits? I don’t care how close you are to them; it’s not in your best interest that their names ever be said; especially Potter’s. Apolla, you’re a friend, so I’m doing everything I can to watch over you. But, when you start proclaiming your love for Potter…”

“Did I not go over that?” Apollonia hissed. “Why would I ever proclaim my love for Harry? That has got to be the stupidest thing for me to do.” Not to mention that it could be considered incest. He thinks that, just because I’m friends with Harry, I’m in love with him. Apollonia recalled holding this same conversation with Draco at least a year ago and he made the same insinuation. “I assure you, Draco, my support for Harry is not because I’m in love with him…” Since she was explaining this to Draco, Apollonia was rather pleased that the Carrows weren’t here; if they were here, there was no way that Apollonia could tell him this.

“It certainly seems like that,” Draco argued.

“Maybe it does,” Apollonia conceded. “I can assure you though, that it isn’t. Harry and I do have a connection; there is no doubt about that. But, what you perceive to be romantic love is something much different, something much more simplistic.” Apollonia was careful not to say anything but the truth, without actually saying anything incriminating to Draco, anything that might put her in danger with Voldemort or the Carrows.

***

A set of sparkling silver eyes bored into a set of brilliant emerald ones that belonged to his companion. He knew that saying that would work. Apollonia, without even realizing it, just gave him confirmation of the sibling bond between her and Potter, which ensured that the Head Girl supported the light side of the war: her brother. The young Malfoy heir cursed himself for not noticing it before. It should have been clear that Apollonia Snape was Potter’s sister. It was at least a year ago that he made the same accusation, to which she vehemently denied it. Now he could see why. Now he understood why Apollonia would take offense to such a thing.

Since learning of Apollonia’s connection to Potter, it secured his resolve to protect the young Snape. Not only was she the girl he loved—which explained his jealousy of Apollonia spending any time with Potter and his friends—but she was Potter’s blood; his family. And, if Draco would do everything he could to protect his family, even taking the Dark Mark; so would Potter do the same for Apollonia, if he knew what he had. Potter seemed content to push her away, as if blood didn’t matter. He didn’t seem to know what he had, hating her for no apparent reason. Just because he hated her father didn’t give Potter any grounds to ignore his sister. She did nothing that might give Potter any cause to hate her. So, when Draco next ran into Potter, aka the Boy-Who-Refused-to-Die-No-Matter-What-Happened, he’d start yelling at him about his treatment of Apollonia.

Doing so would have to wait, however. The train pulled into Hogsmeade station and it was time for him and Apollonia to go up to the castle. Neglecting their duties as Head Boy and Girl was not an option, especially for Apollonia who only had the title to protect her. It was Severus who picked the Head Boy and Head Girl, done as a way to protect his daughter from the Carrows; both he and Draco were hoping that the Carrows would pass over the Head Girl, not noticing that she was a quarter-blood. That hope was crushed and it took all Draco had to hold back when the Carrows chose to target Apollonia. During that first two months that they were in school, his best friend was frequently targeted.

Since that Halloween, the Carrows targeting of Apollonia seemed to taper off; they were now focusing on Longbottom more so than the Head Girl. And Draco could only hope that it remained that way. The Dark Lord was not too pleased to learn that Apollonia continued to resist what he deemed to be her destiny. Draco tried to object to that by reminding him that Draco took the mark in her place, to protect Apollonia as well as his family. It was not a very pleasant encounter, and one that the Malfoy heir kept replaying in his head.

As soon as he arrived home from Hogwarts—separated from Apollonia for winter break—Draco was called to his father’s study, where the Dark Lord was waiting for him. Blood red eyes looked down upon the Malfoy scion, a cruel smile on his lips. “Draco, I’ve heard some rather disturbing news about your school year. The reports from Amycus and Alecto are saying that you are not doing as you were ordered. At the beginning of the school year, I asked you to convince Ms. Snape to join us. Why have you failed in this mission?”

Draco gulped. He was hoping that the Dark Lord would forget about that particular request. It was one he could not grant, not knowing the truth about her. Apollonia would never survive as a Death Eater. Carefully locking away all knowledge of his best friend’s lineage, as well as his love of her, behind the strongest Occulemency shields that he could muster—not as strong as Apollonia’s lightning storm, but good enough to withstand his master—Draco looked at the reptilian man that was the Dark Lord Voldemort. “Master, I saw no need for it. You yourself promised that she would be spared if I took up my father’s mantle and killed the old goat Dumbledore for you,” Draco objected.

“I did say that,” his master remembered. “However, I also said that deal was only in place so long as you were the one to murder him. As I’m sure you member, it was Severus to commit the act. I spared your pitiful excuse for a life—and your mother’s—in exchange for that. I will not do the same for your friend. The girl is to be recruited into the folds.”

“She’s also Snape’s daughter!” Draco exclaimed. He was grasping at straws and he knew it. The Dark Lord would not accept such a pitiful excuse as a reason to keep her from this.

“Precisely why she will be recruited,” his master grinned. “If the father is such a loyal and devoted follower, I’m sure that the daughter will perform just as admirably.” A yew wand was pointed towards Draco
. “Crucio!” As soon as the word was uttered, Draco dropped from his kneeling position and began writhing on the cold floor, shocks of pain coursing through his body every five seconds. This continued for about five minutes before subsiding. “Draco, there is three months until the Easter holiday. You have until then to bring her into the ranks of the Death Eaters. She will be a nice addition to my ranks. You may go now.”

Draco pulled himself to his feet and staggered out of the room. There was a part of him that wanted to remind the Dark Lord that even Severus did not want her to be among the Death Eaters, but thought better of it. He might get another crucio for his cheek if he said that. No, it was best to just leave it alone. Right now, he had something far more important to worry about, namely the possibility of Apollonia losing her innocence the second she became a Death Eater and went against everything she believed in. How was he supposed to protect the girl he loved from that, from the life she was being forced into but didn’t want?


After that conversation occurred, Draco was sure of one thing: the Carrows were not about to back down on targeting Apollonia; not this time. The Dark Lord was quite insistent this time. No matter how many times Severus and Draco tried, the Carrows were not going to stop using the Cruciatus Curse on Apollonia; they and the Dark Lord were hoping that they could break the young Snape and force her into becoming a Death Eater. They were going to be mistaken though; Draco was quite sure of that. Her snake pendant necklace protected her, kept her from being harmed in any way. The Dark Lord would not get what he wanted.

If the necklace failed—that is to say, if the deceit were uncovered, which Draco found unlikely—the Head Boy could not be sure what could be done to protect Apollonia. He would need a back-up plan to help her. Simply relying on the Order to watch over Apollonia was not going to work. The Order’s methods would not succeed against the Dark Lord, especially when it came to Apollonia. For anyone from the Order to come in wands a blazing as they did last year the night Dumbledore died, it would only hinder a rescue attempt. The Dark Lord wanted Apollonia and it seemed as if he would do everything in order to recruit her into his ranks. And if the Order failed to protect Apollonia, Draco would be having a chat with the family member that was supposed to be protecting her.

When Severus mentioned that his daughter was being protected by the Order—for the last year, since the end of the previous January—Draco was hesitant about permitting it, even if it was the disowned cousin protecting her. He knew nothing about his cousin, how good she was as a fighter. If he was going to rely on them to help him protect Apollonia, that was something he needed to know. How could he ever trust someone he knew nothing about, someone whom was acting as—according to Severus—her contact to the world that the Dark Lord had no idea that she was ever a part of? How would that ever hold up?

The thing about Apollonia’s contact into the Order, his cousin, was that there was no way to actually help the young Snape while she was at Hogwarts. What could be done to help her while she was dealing with the Carrows? Draco could think of nothing. It was impossible for Apollonia to get any help from the Order of the Phoenix. For the next six months of her Hogwarts career, before Apollonia went to join the light side herself, there was nothing anyone outside of Hogwarts’ walls that anyone could do to help her. It forced Draco to do this on his own, to find a way to protect the Head Girl if the pendant should fail. There was a way to help her; he knew that beyond the shadow of a doubt. But, how it could be done, the Head Boy could not say. Unfortunately for him—Apollonia as well—there was no surefire way to protect Apollonia from the Dark Lord or the Carrows.

Draco entered the Great Hall, an arm wrapped around Apollonia’s shoulders. A striking pair of silver eyes scanned the room, finding the Carrow siblings at the Head table. He glared at them angrily as he led Apollonia to the Slytherin table, knowing their plan. It will not work, he knew. With the Order backing her in addition to myself, there’s no way that Amycus and Alecto will ever be able to break Apollonia for the Dark Lord. She’s too well protected.

***

Rather than objecting to Draco’s constant presence at her side, Apollonia simply allowed it to occur. There was only six months more of this, of Apollonia even being around Draco. She doubted that the war would end very soon; it would probably continue for a greater portion of her life. Voldemort would never let Harry destroy him, no matter how hard he tried. And, it would cause Apollonia to sever all ties with Draco and fight for the light; so, she might as well spend as much time with him before the war forced them to go their separate ways.

As they entered the Great Hall, Apollonia spotted her father looking down at her, like he was trying to remind her of what was seen over the holiday. It was not something that Apollonia wished to think about; her brother was on the run, all because her father decided to kill Dumbledore and rip away the only support system Harry had left in the fight against Voldemort. Not to forget that it was that very same act committed by her father that caused Harry to lose his faith in Apollonia; he lost his faith in her because of an Unbreakable Vow made with Narcissa. She wanted to get over it, wanted to focus on school, but found that she could not. Harry was—and always will be—her brother. They were supposed to be there for each other, something that never happened because Severus Tobias Snape decided to keep secrets from his daughter. And so, Apollonia continued to ignore her father.

To the right of her father’s seat in the middle of the table was where the Carrows were seated. Six more months were left before Apollonia would never have to deal with them again. And despite the fact that it would be at some point during the next six months that Amycus Carrow would be forced to leave the school—possibly the only thing that Apollonia was looking forward to in regards to the end of school—probably only to be replaced by another Death Eater within Voldemort’s ranks, it wasn’t something Apollonia wished to think of. The end of her Hogwarts career meant she would soon be walking out into the world known as Voldemort’s regime, a place where her status as a quarter-blood would not serve her well.

Leaving Hogwarts in June would mean that everything she knew about the world was really gone. After Voldemort took over the Ministry, Apollonia returned to Hogwarts as if nothing had ever changed. But, now that her seventh year was winding down and she was preparing for the N.E.W.T.s, Apollonia would be walking in a world she wanted no part of, a world where Voldemort was supreme. Not wanting any part of that world, Apollonia hoped that her brother would finish this before June. If that was the case, there would be no need for the Slytherin to worry about entering a world where Tom Marvolo Riddle ruled.

After the feast ended, Apollonia went up to the Head common room, locking herself in her room. She stormed straight into her room and planned on going straight to bed, if not for the fact that there was a bright green glow coming from her message box. “I should have seen that coming,” Apollonia muttered, remembering the scene she saw when her father sent the portkey. She pulled out the note and smiled at the message she saw there. Apollonia, I thought you wanted to know of our progress. We destroyed one of them. Ron came back and he destroyed the locket. There aren’t that many left. It shouldn’t be long before we come back and finish this. Just hold out a little bit longer. We should be back soon. –Hermione.

The Head Girl stared at the note for a moment before tossing it in the fire and allowing it to burn. It wouldn’t be long before they were back. Apollonia wasn’t sure how many horcruxes were left, but she did know one thing; it wouldn’t be long before Harry, Hermione, and Ron returned to the place they belonged. Though Hermione did not say when, the very mention of the fact that their goal was nearing completion warmed Apollonia’s heart. Such knowledge would get her through what was sure to be some of the worst days that Hogwarts had ever seen. But, it would help her through the next six months.

No matter what happened during the next few months, no matter how hard the Carrows tried to push their beliefs on the student body, Apollonia would remember that her brother and his friends were out collecting and destroying the horcruxes. There would eventually come a time in which Voldemort would be vanquished—not sure when though—and the Wizarding World would start recovering from what the darkness inflicted upon it. Before she was forced to enter the workforce, Apollonia hoped that Harry could finish this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.