Status: Slowly Active.

Traitor in a Second

Chapter One Takes Place on Empty Canvas.

I sat in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. The light was off but only because it had burned out ten minutes ago. My phone had been buzzing non-stop for the past twenty minutes. Most of the texts were from Jonathan and every once in a while there’d be one from a family member or another friend. None of them were good news and it had left me in a horrible mood. Once again, my sidekick buzzed next to me. I groaned loudly, grabbing it. I flipped my screen, reading the text from Caleb. I wasn’t in the mood for this. Or maybe he was just what I needed. My eyes rescanned the text message.

the usual spot around 5?

I bit my lip, sitting up in bed. I ran my free hand through my hair once, thinking if I really wanted to meet up with Caleb tonight. I was tired and upset, but if there one thing Caleb could do, it was make me feel good. I texted him back, before sliding off my bed to change. Why not? Wasn’t like I was doing anything else tonight.

***

“I was starting to think you weren’t coming, Evan,” Caleb told me, closing his car door. I rolled my eyes, sighing. I grabbed the collar of his plaid shirt, pulling him towards where we were heading. He chuckled slightly, taking my hand off his shirt.

“Feeling a little frisky today, huh?” he asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. “I like you when you’re frisky.” I rolled my eyes.

“And I like you when you’re quiet, so shut it.” I turned the corner, making a slight face at the usual spot. The usual spot was a house that had been abandoned back in the eighties. The only people who went in there were kids who wanted a place to hook up. Well, that just so happened to be what we were doing.

“What’s up with you?” he asked, leading the way to the half boarded window. He pushed the board in way to the side, letting me in before he followed. The second we were in the living room, I pushed him onto the couch, blowing the bangs out of my eyes.

“I had the worst day. Now fix it,” I demanded, and with that, his lips attached to mine, pulling me down onto the couch on top of him.

A couple hours later, most of our clothes were strewn on the floor around the couch with the exception of his shirt, which I was wearing. My head sat on his chest, one of his arms was draped around my waist. My eyes were shut, but when he pressed a small kiss to the top of my head, my eyes opened and I looked up at his face.

“Evan, can I tell you something?” he asked. I raised my eyebrows, sitting up slightly.

“Yeah, Cay. What’s up?” He sighed, sitting up on the couch, which creaked violently when he did. It took a minute since I was still lying on top of him, but eventually the both of us were sitting up.

“Evan, I think I might...” he stopped short as a phone on the floor started buzzing. I climbed off his lap, fishing through a pair jeans on the floor. I hit talk, biting my lip as I looked at him. He ran his hand through his already messy red hair, obviously annoyed that he had gotten interrupted.

“Hello?” I gave Caleb an apologetic look, sitting myself back down on his lap. His arms snaked back around my waist, his lips attaching to where my neck met my shoulder. I had to bite my lip for a moment to hold back any noise that might come out when he did.

Evan? Why are you answering Caleb’s phone?” My eyes widened. I took the phone away from my ear, looking at it. Sure enough, that wasn’t my phone. Shit.

“Oh. Hi, Kyle,” I said, running my hand through my hair. In the background I heard, ‘Why is Evan answering Caleb’s phone?’, which caused me to roll my eyes. “And Jonathan,” I added. Once again, I heard Jonathan shouting, “You didn’t answer me, Kyle! Why is Evan answering Caleb’s phone? which was followed by a ‘I don’t know! I haven’t asked!’ and a sigh.

Why are you answering Caleb’s phone?” he asked. I rolled my eyes, glancing over at Caleb, who was still going to town on my neck. He gave a quick nip, and I tried to suppress the moan, but it wasn’t so much suppressed as muffled.

You know what, I don’t even want to know,” Kyle stated. I laughed a little.

“It’s not that, so shut up.” Actually, it totally was, but the whole friends with benefits things were just between us. Caleb nipped at my neck again, sucking a little bit harder. He was definitely trying to leave a mark at this point, which was totally against our rules. I rolled my eyes, pushing his head away from me.

Well, whatever. This saves Jonathan a phone call. You guys up for some pizza and a trip to the arcade?” Kyle asked. I laughed a little.

“We’re kind of lame. High school kids spending a Friday night at the arcade,” I pointed out. Kyle laughed slightly.

Well. Yeah, but are you guys coming or not?” I glanced over at Caleb, who nodded.

“Yeah, sure. But I have to stop off somewhere first. So, like...” I trailed off, grabbing one of Caleb’s arms to look at his watch. “Sixish?”

Works for us,” he said after a moment. “See you there.

“Alright, bye,” I said, before hitting the end button. I looked over at Caleb. “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” I asked. He raised an eyebrow.

“What?” he asked innocently. I rolled my eyes.

“What’s the rule Caleb?” I asked, sliding off his lap and dropping his cell there. I went over to where my pants were, picking them up and sliding them on.

“No hickeys where there aren’t clothes,” he repeated, sighing quietly. I rolled my eyes.

“It’s bad enough you leave them on my hips,” I told him. “But come on, the last thing I need to do is put on more make up,” I went on, zipping and buttoning my jeans. I took his shirt off, throwing it at him. “And you’re driving me to my house so I can fix this.” I pointed at where the hickey was, probably. He nodded, getting off the couch to grab his own pants.

“Where’s my shirt?” I asked, looking around and pushing my hair away from my face. Caleb reached behind the couch, tossing it at me.

“Thanks,” I sighed, pulling it on. “Now, what did you want to tell me?” I asked, looking up at him while I put on my shoes. He shook his head.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said shortly, pulling on his shirt and buttoning it up. “Now if we’re going to get there by six, you better hurry when we get to your house.” I led the way out of the house and back towards his car.

“That’s why I said sixish,” I pointed out. “Dur.”

***

When we got to the pizza place on Main Street, Kyle and Jonathan were already sitting in the booth in front of the main window. It had taken me a good twenty minutes to cover that hickey in makeup and eventually a couple necklaces. Caleb held the door for me, giving me a small wink as I walked passed him. I gave him a tiny smile, and rolled my eyes. I headed for the booth, pushing Jonathan’s shoulder, waving my hand so he’d over and I could sit down.

“Took you two long enough!” he exclaimed, sliding towards the window. “We ordered without you.” Caleb made a face.

“Well, if someone didn’t feel the need to change, and take an hour to do it, we would have been here sooner,” he said, rolling his eyes. “What’d you order?”

“Pizza with everything,” Kyle informed. I made a noise of discontent, shifting on the bench.

“Don’t worry, I ordered you a couple regular ones,” Jonathan informed, patting my leg. I smiled thankfully at him. He smiled back.

“All part of being a best friend,” he said, shrugging.

“And a good one at that,” I added, laughing a little. Kyle ran his hand through his hair, looking at Caleb then to me and back.

“Where were you guys anyway?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at Caleb. Caleb looked at me, and I looked back at him.

“She was helping me pick out a birthday present for my mom,” he made up calmly, shrugging slightly.

“Your mom’s birthday isn’t for another six months,” Jonathan said, raising an eyebrow at me. I looked over at Caleb.

“Well, there was a sale at the Pottery Barn,” I made up. “And it’s never too early to buy something. You know Caleb, he’d forget.”

“Hey!” he exclaimed. I rolled my eyes. The waitress came over, dropping a bunch of paper cups and a pitcher of Mountain Dew on the table. I reached out quickly, grabbing them before the guys because otherwise I wouldn’t get any.

“You totally would.”

“Evan, why are you so mean to us?” Jonathan asked. “We show you nothing but love and you show us nothing but regret.” I choked on my Mountain Dew, giving Caleb a slight look. Man, that was more right than he’d ever know.

“Because my name is Evan and that’s what I do. Now shut up,” I said, sticking my tongue out at him. The whole Caleb thing was hard to keep from Jonathan because he was pretty much my best friend, and it made me feel bad for lying to him, but it’d be a little complicated to explain. Not to mention what it’d do to our little group of friends. It was just for the best if that stayed between me and Caleb.