Fear

2: "You Should Have Just..."

“Hanks, you really shouldn't have done that. They are just a few curious students, that's all. I told you...”
“Don't tell me what I should have done, Ava,” Dr. Hanks muttered, snagging the cup of coffee Ava handed him. He looked away bitterly, still mumbling to himself with anger. He turned away from Ava's glinting, un-human cyber-green eyes, with active veins throbbing throughout her iris.
Would Hanks ever not dislike other people, Ava thought. As for Hanks on the other hand, he kept his mind to himself, while not even sure why he was there. Or rather how he wound up in that solemn of a place: a dark facility, in the middle of literally nowhere. After years of working there, would it still be possible to remember his first day there? Possibly not, he thought to himself, as every day had at least one dose of anesthetic crap a day.
Dr. Ava smiled to herself, regardless of Hanks' childish attitude. She moved so gracefully as she took a sip of her “coffee”, which was nothing but an empty mug. At the facility, the staff kept it very strict that their existence as “non-human” figures would be kept a secret. And just like any other “brilliant” idea the staff had around him, Hanks disagreed with them all.
As much as he hated it, she went on. “You never will change, will you Hanks?” she laughed to herself. Hanks mumbled to himself and kept his eyes out the window on his left, his coffee mug steaming and cupped in his hands firmly around the plain mug, no matter how hot it was, even as it burned his own skin.
You robots don't know a thing about me, neither of how to work this damned facility of a place we all call home, he thought. He took an angry sip, which was the worst one, as the hot liquid burned his tongue almost completely as it rolled down his dry tongue, almost touching his throat. There was a bitter taste to his coffee, even after packet after packet of the processed sugar. There were about five open packets scattered around the mug, with a thin stirrer for coffee wet at its tip.
“Your really should have just left them alone, swallow back your anger, and face me in the eye. But you're too much of a pussy to do it,” she said amusingly.
“Ava...Just...Just stop it, alright? I don't tell you how to run my life, I don't tell you how to live yours,” Hanks growled. The image through the window seemed so unreal as Hanks eyes were on it; but just because his face was turned at that direction, didn't mean he had been concentrating and enjoying the vivid sight. The sight outside the pane of glass that separated inside from outside, the sight so real and in great definition, like the world outside was indeed a vividly-colored meadow with the wonderful scent of dew.
“You are aware that this is all just another false trick, right?” Hanks muttered to himself, though the question was directed to Ava. His fingers were twitching as he almost reached out to the window. He choked back the urge, with the bitter liquid down with it.
Indeed, the staff made the “view” out the windows seem so real, but Hanks knew that it was all just another one of their tricks to convince the students and staff that they lived in a wonderful world as they tried to portray in every window. They captured each image so well, capturing the meadow in every possible angle. Had these robots not notice the change in surroundings once it had past noon? Once the day crossed over to evening?
But who knew? These were after all, non-human figures, that lived around him. They could have believed whatever they wanted, for all Hanks cared.
His eyes falling onto the windowsill, he pursed his lips indecisively. “No,” he whispered to himself. “Don't fall for it.”
The windowsill seemed so harmless, without a lock or laser in sight. Almost as though he could open up the window at his own free will and escape the horrible place he had suffered in secretly all those years, or just rip the false image that was projected so well over their window. He wanted to do so much, the window almost convincing, as if it was trick-free.
But the facility was much more clever than that. Even after trying to get the staff to help him, it was useless. Even though some – and by “some”, he meant the people around him – were made of mechanically engineered tools and whatnot, they were still programmed to think like a smart human, rather than an idiot that fell for every one of Hanks's tricks. Which begged the question; Couldn't there be at least one stupid enough “robot” that was made so realistically, that the ones who had created these bots had forgotten to add proper thinking waves? Had at least one of these bots, that seemed so human, have an urge, even at the slightest, that wanted them to open up this window and peer into the true reality outside the windows?
Hanks' train of thought seemed to be untouchable, almost as if he would stay that way forever.
“What is going through your head right now?” Ava suddenly thought aloud, placing her chin on her palm. She watched him calmly as he sat still facing the window, not a bit frightened by his actions as normal “bots” that worked at the facility would. Instead she was amused by Dr. Hanks, like a robot with feelings, as Hanks sometimes thought of her as; Though he had no feelings for anything or anyone – just as the bots were made to be – and he planned on keeping it that way – for as long as he was there...At the strange facility.
“False pride. False images. False feeling,” Hanks finally mumbled, rising from his seat. He slammed his fists on the table and left, his white suit folding behind him like rippling waves as he left the lounge room. He was glad to have ripped himself away from the false image through the window, having an accomplished feeling like he had done something great; that he somehow “saved” himself from being sucked through the window. Whatever it was, he tried keeping an ugly smirk that did not suit him well.
As he left, Ava managed to keep her smile with a faint expression on her face, her eyes seeming to be calmer even with the lively, pulsing veins going through her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. (:
Comment, Subscribe, & Share. Do your thing. ^_^