Status: Completed.

Games

It's a date.

“Please… for me?” Jaime pleaded, putting on The Face, which resembled that of a lost puppy’s- with big sad eyes and a perfected pout.

Aaron rolled his eyes at her, “Fine, Jaime.” He stood up and walked away.

A few moments later, he returned with the lunch she wanted. She squealed, hugged him, and planted a kiss on his cheek. Aaron sighed at his friend.

“What?” she asked innocently, batting her beautifully coated eyelashes.

“Nothing,” he grinned.

“Okay!” she said cheerily. “So, I was thinking; do you want to go to the movies with me this Friday?”

“Uhm…” Aaron considered. “Sure, who else is going?”

“I thought it could just be me and you.”

“What about your boyfriend?”

“Don’t worry about Tim; what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

“Jaime…” Aaron began hesitantly.

“Great! See you later!”

Jaime bustled across the busily buzzing school cafeteria to her best friend’s table.

“Guess who I’m going to the movies with this Friday,” Jaime said in a sing-song voice.

“Uhm… Tim?” Emma guessed, trying to mask her obvious lack of interest.

“Aaron!” Jaime corrected, clearly annoyed that her best friend wasn’t paying enough attention to her. “It’s just going to be Aaron and me, so don’t tell Tim.”

“Jaime! Friday is Anna’s party!”

“Well, tell her I’m sick.”

“What about Tim, Jaime, your boyfriend?!”

“What about Tim?” Jaime shot back sweetly. If Emma hadn’t known Jaime better, she might have believed her innocence. However, the two had been best friends for six years, and Emma knew Jaime’s ways inside and out.

“Jaime, I will not let you cheat on Tim!” Emma said, her voice lowered, but harsh. Not one of the other girls at the table looked at them; they were still gossiping, like every day.

“It’s not cheating! I’m only going out with Aaron to talk to him for you,” Jaime snapped defensively. She had hit Emma’s soft spot: the dreamy blond-haired, blue-eyed, six-foot-two, football player, Aaron- Emma’s crush for years.

“Alright, I won’t tell Tim, but don’t do this again,” she warned darkly.

“Okay, okay, I won’t!” Jaime said, briskly discarding the subject.

The irritating and piercing bell interrupted the casual chatting that hung in the warm, odorous cafeteria air. The mobs of self-absorbed teenagers poured out of the four sets of double doors. Tim stood just outside one of these doors at his locker.

“Hey, Sexy,” Jaime said, winking at her boyfriend of two months.

“Hey,” Tim grinned. He kissed her affectionately.

“You know,” Jaime smirked. “You’re a good learner.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, confused.

“You’re a much better kisser than you were two months ago,” she teased.

“Well, I have a good teacher,” he blushed, kissing her again.

“I’m gonna be late; I’ll see you later, Babe,” Jaime said, giggling as she hurried off in the other direction.

Tim watched her walk away, his eyes soft, smile unintentional, expression entranced. Aaron walked up behind him and punched his arm, causing Tim to jump.

Laughing, Aaron said, “Hey, Man.”

“Hey,” Tim grinned.

“I wonder who you just saw,” he teased.

“Shut up!” Tim snapped, embarrassed.

Aaron laughed again.

“She’s really something,” he sighed.

“Oh, she’s something, alright,” he mumbled.

“Hm?”

“Nothin’” Aaron said quickly. “I’ll see you later, Dude.”

“Later,” Tim replied.

Aaron walked away, his expression grimaced, a tidal wave of insufferable guilt crashing over him; Tim was his best friend.

“Emma,” Aaron said, as soon as he entered his chemistry class.

“Hey, Aaron.” Emma couldn’t help but to smile widely as his name rolled luxuriously off her tongue, which loved the feel of it.

“Did Jaime tell you about Friday?” he asked with a note of quiet urgency.

“Yeah,” she replied simply, smiling.

“What do I do?”

“Nothing; go to the movies and don’t let anything happen that shouldn’t. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“Em, Tim is my best friend; what if he finds out?”

“He won’t; or- I’ll talk to him!”

“What if he says something to Jaime?”

“I’ll tell him Jaime wanted me to tell him. I’ll let him know it’s totally casual; you know, give him nothing to worry about. Don’t worry, Aaron, I’ve got your back,” Emma assured him with a comforting smile and no intention of actually telling Tim anything. It would sabotage Jaime’s chances of talking to Aaron for her. She knew she was being a little self-centered; but so long as Tim never found out, there was no damage to be done. Besides, she had been waiting for the opportunity to be with Aaron for years.

“Thanks so much, Em, you’re a lifesaver!” he gushed before hurrying to his seat just as the late bell rang. Emma sighed after him; she hated lying to her prospective first boyfriend, but what else could she do?