Status: Completed.

Games

The mess to follow.

“Hey, Sexy,” Jaime said quietly to Dom, smirking and looking convincingly unperturbed.

“Hey,” Dom grinned halfheartedly.

“Great, you’re mad at me, too,” she sulked with a tragic pout.

“I’m not,” he said apologetically.

She smiled a little and batted her eyelashes at him. “What are you doing after school?”

“You?” he suggested with a smile, feeling just like their old games.

This time, though, Jaime turned the conversation just the way Dom had always wanted it to go. She leaned in, pressing her lips to his ear. “Definitely.”

After class, Dom all but ran for the door, without waiting for Jaime. He searched for Anna in the crowd of shuffling students. He found her and dragged her urgently to the side. “I have a problem.”

* * *

Aaron was primarily relieved to see that Emma had shown as he saw her waiting near his locker. Then, the nerves settled in his stomach. How could he explain?

“Hey,” he said softly. He exchanged a few books and shut his locker. “I thought we could go to that café down the street for something to drink.

She nodded and dropped her gaze to the floor, face red again.

“Are you really that mad at me, Em?” he asked.

She thought she detected a note of sadness. She chewed on her lip and shook her head. “I’m not.”

Aaron dropped his arm around her shoulder lightly. She hid her confusion from him.

“So, uhm,” she said nervously. “What happened?”

He sighed heavily. “She probably told you something different, but uhm… about five minutes into the movie, she started kissing me. I… Em, honestly, I lost it. I know it was wrong, and I’d take it back if I could. I left right there in the middle of the movie and ran to Tim’s house to tell him. He wanted to punch me… and he should have. I should never have gone, even if you had talked to him about it.

Emma stopped walking in surprised and walked off the sidewalk to sit on a rock at the edge of the rather thick woods. He sat next to her.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered. “Jaime never mentioned me?” There was a bleak hope in her expression that caused a twinge of pain in Aaron’s chest.

“No,” he frowned apologetically, not daring to push her.

She shook her head, half hoping to shake back the tears that were quickly filling her eyes.