Status: hope to get moving more quickly on this story...comment please

Rendered Indifferent

Family

The next day during lunch Marie disappeared for about ten minutes. Matt got a really mad look on his face, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. Marie returned and looked like she had been crying, but she also wouldn't tell me what had happened. I tried everything to get them to spill, but they are both to stuborne.

I spent my last period with Marie having a skip session. We had decided that Chemistry just wasn't important today and walked to the ice cream shop down the road.

"What's your family like, Roselynd?"

"Well which family do you want to know about. I can tell you about my birth family or my real family or my adoptive family."

"All of them."

"Well my birth mother died in labor, and my birth father sold me to a man named Alister. I concider him my father. But when the state found me and sent him to jail, I lost everything. He was my life."

"You sound like he was more than a father to you." Most would have said that with disgust, but she just held understanding in her tone.

"He was a lover as well. The state deffinately didn't like that, but I've never denied anything to anyone. Then Matt and Val adopted me. And well now i live with them."

"Can I meet them someday?"

"Sure. You could meet them today if you want to."

"That sounds nice."

"What's your family like?"

"Which one my birth parents or my real family?" She smirked at me and i couldn't help but giggle.

"Both."

"My birth parents are monsters. And my real family is Matt. He's the only one that looks out for me."

"What do you mean they are monsters?"

"You can't tell anyone. I've never told anyone."

"Okay. I promise."

"Well my....well I'm pregnant."

"Who's the father?" She doesn't have a boyfriend that i know of, so it can't have ended well.

"... well my-my d-dad. Please don't hate me." The pleading in her voice was enough to make me melt.

"Of course I don't hate you."

"He's been doing this since I was twelve. I'm lucky that I lasted this long without becoming pregnant."

"You don't want him to do this do you?"

"No. I never have." And as the tears flowed from her beautifu eyes I felt my heart begin to break.

"Don't cry. It breaks my heart to see you cry." I scooped her up in my arms and she layed her head on my sholder as she cried.

"I got kicked out when i told my mom. matt's been sneaking me into his room for a week. I don't know what to do."

"You can stay with me. We'll go get your things and you can stay with me."

"You like girls?"

"It's a rather new discovery, but yes I do."

"I do too. I can't believe you are doing this for me. Nobody but Matt has ever cared enough to take me in like this."

"Well you can count on me. I'll always be here for you."

"Thank you." After that we walked back to the school to meet Matt who was going to pick me up. He saw where we came from and met us halfway between the school and the ice cream shop.

"So you skipped."

"Yup. I sure did. This is Marie."

"Hello Marie."

"Can Marie stay with us."

"Why?" Marie grabbed my hand when he asked why to signal that she didn't want him to know everything.

"She got kicked out of the house because she is pregnant. She needs a place to stay. Please. She can stay with me in my room. You won't even know the difference."

"Why doesn't she stay with the father?"

"Because he doesn't want anything to do with the baby."

"I suppose that's okay. Val is going to want to design a nursery."

"Yay. I told you they would let you stay." Then I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Matt did a double take when he saw that, but he didn't say anything. 'Here call Matt so that he doesn't worry about you."

She took the phone from my hand and had a short conversation with her twin. He was pretty happy that she had somewhere to stay and said he would smuggle her stuff out of the house to bring to her.