The Mechanics of Love

007

The more time I spent with Kaycie, the more in love with her I was She was everything I could or would ever want in a girl; she's funny, random, artistic, smart.. perfect. At the restaurant, I had her all to myself - well kind of, sitting at the end of the booth. I allowed my leg to rest against hers as we talked. I trued to talk about stupid subjects to make her smile; I liked it when she smiled. When we finished eating, we walked around Port Angeles for a while, then we all got back in the car to head home.

Climbing into the car, Kaycie and I switched places with Jackson and Kristen, and I became nervous as I sat next to her. The only thing separating her from me was a small slide to my right... but I couldn't do it. I watched her as she looked outside of the window. My eyes traced the folds of her hair as it fell around her face, framing her with fire. She must have felt my gaze, for she turned and looked at me. I gave her a weak smile and looked out my own window.

Come on Rob, this is ridiculous! You're Robert Pattinson, you're Edward Cullen! Surely you can handle talking to a girl. you've done it loads of times before. What the hell is wrong with you? I know what's wrong.... Kaycie is not like the other girls I've ever spoken to.

We arrived back to the school to find that most of the cars had left. Getting out Kaycie said, "Shit, my ride's gone."

"Do you need a lift," I asked, "I can take you where ever."

"Um, thanks, but I don't know how safe I would feel in your car."

"It's a BMW."

"Yeah, a trashed one. Rob, there's a hole in your ceiling, and your bumber's in the back seat."

"It still runs."

"I can take you back," said Jackson.

"Thanks."

My jaw dropped as I watched Kaycie walk away with Jackson. Nikki came over and stood by me, a smug smile on her face.

"Looks like the apple of your eye just got picked."

"That doesn't even make sense."

"Sure it does," she smiled and pressed herself against me, "How about you come over to my room tonight?"

"I told you; I'm not going to do that anymore."

Nikki pouted, "That's what you said last time too. It breaks my heart to hear you say such things."

Turning to her I looked her in the eye and said, "Good."

Her eyes clouded, "You're an asshole, Rob. I hope you fucking know that."

Nikki left, her bleached hair bouncing as she stomped away. I sighed as I watched her, knowing full well that the sway in her hips was just for me, and me alone. I turned away and went for my car, which was surprisingly harder than it seamed. I was walking away from Nikkie Reed, no one did that I was doing it for Kaycie. I didn't want her to think that I was in a relationship, or that I only wanted in her pants. Besides, having sex with Nikki was starting to be a bad idea.

I drove around for a little while, trying to clear my mind, then I got a phone call from Kaycie, 'Hello?"

"I just walked in on my friends."

"And?"

"In my friend's bed."

"Were they having sex?"

"No... but it was damn close."

"Why are you calling me?"

She paused, "I don't know."

I laughed, "Well I'm glad you thought of me."

"Yeah...."

"Hey, are you doing anything tonight? Would you like to catch a -"

"Hey, no offense, but calling you was sort of a mistake.... You just happened to be the person my hand dialed without me paying attention. I'm sorry."

Then she hung up.

I pulled into a parking spot at the hotel and went into my room. I paced my room for a while, took a shower, then laid on my bed for a while. I can't believe that she called me, then I can't believe she just hung up. It had to mean something that she called me without thinking about it. I felt like trash knowing that I wasn't good enough for her to talk to.

A knock came at my door which I answered and found Nikki on the other side. She was holding a script in her hand. Before she could say anything I grabbed her around the back of her neck and brought her in for a kiss.

If I wasn't good enough for Kaycie, why even bother?
♠ ♠ ♠
We promise that these will get longer... because as of right now, they're getting shorter.
Which to me anyways is a bad thing.

Also! I, bewareofdogs, am going away to college, so we will not be able to pass the notebook containing this lovely story back and forth to each other like we use to. SO, what's probably going to happen is, it's going to take a while for us to post our parts.... Sorry. We will not give up on this story, however, I promise you that much. IT WILL GO ON!

comments?
concerns?
questions?
anything?