Dreams Are Reality

Chapter 3

I stared at the rock, hating it with every part of my being. The boulder was huge and I was so small, how could I possibly lift it? I then looked over at a nearby stick, holding my hand out a bit for it. I stared at it, furrowing my brow a little, concentrating on it moving into the air. My hand began to glow white as powers such as mine did. The piece of wood soon hovered in the air and I moved my arm, motioning as if to throw it at the wretched rock.

The stick hit the stone, practically shattering. I sighed and I saw Tristan come over. “Man, you know how scary you look when you do that?” He asked, laughing a little.

I smiled, never actually seeing my face when I used my powers. “No, I don't.” I stuck my tongue out at him, laughing a little.

“Still can't move the boulder?” He asked, kneeling down next to me.

“Nope, it seems that I can't lift anything more than fifty pounds.”

“Ah, I see. It's a learning process I'm sure.” He chuckled a little and I gave him a punch to the shoulder. I then winced in pain a bit. His arm is sometimes like a rock. “That hurt?” He said, raising an eyebrow as he turned to look at me.

“Just a little.” I laughed out as I shook my hand to get the feeling back in. “I really need to go to a gym.”

Tristan laughed. “Eh, I don't think so. It's nice to have someone weaker than me. Eric kicks my ass everyday.” I laughed, knowing that wasn't hard to believe. Eric was a pro martial artist and Tristan just has some strength but, he's learning. “Plus, you're practically benching fifty.” He chuckled again.

“Yeah, with my head.” I laughed a bit.

“Okay, so try lifting a different rock for now.” He smiled at me and I was so glad he was my best friend.

I looked at another one, being smaller than the first, my eyes stared at it, fixing all of my energy on the rock. I moved my hand in line with my eyes, energy flowing to my hand, lighting up. The rock soon raised off of the ground and I flung my arm, smashing the rock into the larger boulder. “Nice.” Tristan then said, smiling at me. “You know your eyes glow when you do that? That's the scary part.” I laughed.

We then saw our friends walking over to us. Leah was skipping ahead of them, despite the fact that she could trip over anything. I rolled my eyes as they neared. “So, who wants to go next?” Tristan asked.

“Well, seeing how I am the only one here without a 'physical' power, I will just sit and watch.” Leah said, plopping herself onto the grass. We all laughed a little, except Clara, who stayed emotionless. “Eric should go. His is cool.”

“You've never seen it. For all you know it could be nothing.” Eric said, chuckling a little.

“So, your point?” She said, sticking out her tongue.

“Fine.” He then said as I began to roll my eyes again. Eric then stared intensely at the boulder that I had previously tried to lift. “Everything is not as it appears.” He then said as the boulder turned into a giant rubber ball. I had always loved his power. It was extraordinary to be able to trick someone into believing that an object wasn't what it was. We always referred to him as our illusionist. In a sense, he could make money in Vegas. I smirked a little then, seeing him turn the boulder into various objects. I wonder if he could give Leah her sight back?

I sighed then, looking at Clara. She and Tristan were the only ones who really never used their powers. She was afraid and he is well, terrified. I walked over to her and smiled. “Do you want to give it a small shot today?” I asked.

“No.” She said flatly. “You know that I'm afraid of heights.” She let out a deep breath as if just thinking of the thought of using her levitation scared her half to death.

“Okay. No worries then.” I still smiled, trying to be as reassuring as possible. Clara seemed to be afraid of everything though. It must have to do with her other power. She has told me a few times what it was and I still can't exactly wrap my head around it. “What exactly do you see at night?” I asked her as I sat down next to her, staring ahead at the others.

“Everything.” She said flatly. “Dreams of everyone. Nightmares of everyone.”

“Like everyone in the world?”

“It seems like it sometimes.” Clara only stared forward, not even looking at me. It was as if she wanted me to know and it is so hard to understand her sometimes.

“What about mine?” I asked then, looking at her. I wondered if she could give me an answer.

“Yes.” Clara then turned her head, her blue eyes seeming like they stared a hole into my head. “They are very sad.” It was as if she was looking at my soul, just staring at me. “I was very scared last night. I know how terrible it must be for you. To lose your family like that.” I sighed, missing them again. Clara did lose her family but, not exactly in the same way as the rest of us did. Hers was still alive.

“Do you mind?” I asked, wanting to hear her story fully for once. I had only heard bits and pieces before but never to the full extent. “I have never heard the entire truth.” I looked at her, my eyes yearning for information. I always liked to know what my friends had went through.

She shook her head. “I remember when my parents loved me. I was their first and only daughter, their pride and joy of their lives. I grew up in a comfortable household, my parents not being rich but not poor either. They loved me so much. Soon, they decided that they wanted another child.

“My mother gave birth to a baby boy and I was given my brother, Anthony. It was one day that my mother was changing him and the phone had rang, calling her to another room. She left me there to watch him. Although, Anthony had an unknown syndrome, turrets. He kept moving and I ran to get my mother.

“When we had rushed back into the room, Anthony was on the floor, wailing and bits of blood coming from his head. My mother had rushed to his aid, cradling him into her arms and then getting into the car with me. She had sped the whole way to the hospital. Although, when we had gotten there and the doctors had seen Anthony, they had said it was too late. They believed he had died due to the impact of the fall.” Clara took a deep breath, looking at our friends messing around.

“My parents grieved the loss of my brother for quite a while but, soon couldn't take the pressure of his death. They divorced and my father moved out. I blamed myself the whole time. This was when my powers began to develop. I began to see the dreams of others when they slept. My mother had horrible nightmares and when I would lay in bed, I could see them happening. The death of my baby brother kept going as if time kept repeating itself.

“I always wanted to run and hide from my home. The dreams of my mother always haunting me. Although, I would soon get what I wanted. I had told my mother of the dreams that I had and how I knew what she saw at night. I was taken to a doctor and I was told that I was an insomniac. I was ten when diagnosed.” Clara sighed, looking at me as if to tell me she wasn't crazy. “I was soon sent here. It never made sense to me. Am I really that strange?” Clara looked away from me to the far off distance. I shook my head.

“No one is strange. We are simply different.” I said reassuringly putting my hand upon her back. “It may seem as if we come from another place or are completely abnormal to everyone else but, I think we are as normal as one can get. Define a normal person. It's almost physically impossible because there is not a perfect person. Everyone has a flaw and everyone has that one thing that makes them unique. The unique part about us is our gifts.”

“And our flaws?” Clara only said. My throat clogged up. What was our flaw? Was it our history? Or is Clara trying to say something else?

We were then interrupted by our friends who came over and began fooling around until Clara and I got up reluctantly. Clara fought out a smile to them. “Okay, how about those waves?” I then asked, smirking. We headed out to the beach, although I had a feeling something was going to go wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. chaper 3. Yeah, I know it took a while for those of you who are actually reading this. I hope you like it anyways. ;) Enjoy, please comment. It helps. :3