Vegas Wedding

chapter twenty one.

Dinner was awkward. No one had told Sam about the accidental wedding so she asked a million questions about where Amanda’s new ‘boy toy’ came from. After both Amanda and Brendon blushed from embarrassment, Stephen exclaimed. Then the long awkward silence continued for the rest of the night.

It was a blessing when Amanda excused them both and led Brendon back to her room. She changed into her pajamas in front of him and then climbed onto her bed. He noticed how much more relaxed she was in her own environment and he liked it. He also noticed the Vegas High School Class ring on her left ring finger.

“So.” He started and couldn’t help the eat-shit grin on his face.

Amanda giggled as she pulled the covers over her. “Is there something on your mind, Bren?” She smirked and patted the empty spot beside her. He smiled and sat down, leaning his back against her headboard. This meant she had to crane her neck some to look up at him, but she didn’t mind.

“So,” he started again and then flushed as he realized he’d just repeated himself awkwardly. Amanda muffled her giggles so as not to discourage him from going on. Brendon cleared his throat and glanced down at her. “What, uh … happened with you and Neil?”

She frowned. She was hoping not to talk about that. She wanted to focus on the fact that he was here, suddenly, with her. She sighed and dropped her attention to a few threads coming off her pillow case. “There hasn’t been much, really.”

“Really?” He somehow didn’t believe that. She frowned deeper.

“I’ve figured out that letting go of everything we had is harder done than said.” He watched her pick at the thread and watched the forlorn expressions on her pretty face. It all made his stomach churn in a not so good way. “We’ve just been through a lot over the past three years.”

Brendon crossed his arms and stared down at his feet as he spoke his worst fear. “So, you guys are back together?”

She snorted. “No.” He sighed with relief and then tried to mask it as he returned his gaze to her. She still looked awfully sad. “I think a part of me knew he’d never really change. Neil likes alcohol and drugs and girls. That’s just how he is.” She shrugged and this time he frowned with her. “I guess I just stayed with him because I was waiting for something special to happen.” She shook her head and her tone turned bitter. “It’s all stupid, really.” She flipped onto her back and then regretted it as she had to stare up into his deep brown eyes.

“It’s not stupid.” He contradicted and bit back the remark he wanted to make about how something special did happen. He was able to be married to her for three whole days.

She smiled a little. “Yeah, it is, but thankfully it’s all in the past. Neil and I are going to drop everything and just be friends.” She struggled to keep her smile up. “Now my only problem is I have no clue what to do with my future.”

His stomach dropped completely. Here was his perfect opportunity. He could confess his affection and then suggest she come back to Vegas with him, or vice versa. It didn’t really matter the order in which he did it, as long as he put his feelings in there somewhere.

Amanda sighed. “I’m tired, so you must be exhausted. If you turn the light off I swear I’ll shut up.” And then his moment vanished. She closed her eyes and settled into her bed, preparing to drift off. He couldn’t just bring it up out of the blue.

Brendon frowned as he stood up, shuffled his feet to the door, and turned the light off. He hated himself and cursed his lack of courage. Then he felt her head on his chest and her thin arms wrap around his waist. His heartbeat stuttered and he groaned mentally, hoping she didn’t notice. He lightly his arms around her as well, and rested his head on hers, smelling her melon shampoo clearly.

It was undeniable.
He was falling in love with her.
She was falling in love with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
inspired by the douche bag that broke my heart : )
xooxEmber