Wild At Heart

Seventeen.

--Her POV--
I stepped onto the ice in my skates and did a slow lap watching all of the boys warm up. Slowly they all took notice of me and skated to the bench where they all remained until I got back there.
"Okay guys, listen up," Jordan said putting an arm around my shoulders, "This is Amy and for the rest of the time we're on this ice; she's the boss." He smiled at me before taking a knee and giving me his full attention.
"Umm, hi guys," I waved awkwardly, "I don't know how much you know about me or anything but I've been hanging out with Sidney for a while now," I could feel my eyes gloss over at the mention of his name, "and he, and Jordan, have found that taking your mind off of hockey for a little while have sort of helped when it comes to refocusing." The guys all looked at each other murmuring. "I know it seems sort of weird but just try and trust me okay?" The guys all nodded so we began.
Halfway through our 'fun skate' Max Talbot skated up to where I was perched on the bench and stood silently while we watched the boys find the joy in hockey again. "You're doing a good thing you know." I turned my head to look at him, slightly confused. "For Sidney, and for us." I smiled weakly turning my focus back to the practice. "I have known Sid for a long time now, but I have never seen him as happy as he has been this year. For a long time I didn't know what it was. But now I see." I turned to look at him again. "You."
I shook my head, "No. It's not me. It's the freedom, it's what I give to him. The ability to be young again. That is what he craves."
Max chuckled slightly, "Then tell me this; did he pick up freedom when she was a drunk disaster? Did he have countless sleepovers and hangouts with freedom?" I blushed realizing that he knew all of my intimate moments with Sidney.
"You're wrong Max." I whispered out brushing the few tears that had escaped. "If it was really me then why would he drop me so fast? Why would he just leave me like that?"
"That ma fille, is something I do not know." He said as he brushed another tear off of my face. "Because if you had done all of those things for me, and I felt for you what I know he feels, I would never let you go."

I smiled widely as Jordan slid in an empty net goal to solidify the victory for the Pens. They were going to game 7. They had turned it around. And with the looks of it, the Red Wings were not going to be able to stop them. The boys had all played great. Well almost all of them. Sidney still looked off. I could tell he was frustrated, skipping shifts, angry at himself for doing the little things wrong. The boys had pulled off this win but they'd need their captain if they wanted to get their hands on that silver trophy.
I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, turning off the television and cuddling into my sheets. I quickly texted Jordan a congratulations to him and the boys before drifting off to a restless sleep.

--His POV--
I walked into the Lemieux house, said a goodnight to Nathalie and Mario and headed to my room. I was lying on my bed staring at the ceiling when a soft knock on my door caught my attention. The door slowly pushed open revealing Nathalie. "Hi," she said smiling, "Can we talk?"
I furrowed my brow but sat up against my head board, "Sure. Is everything alright?"
She came and sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed, "You tell me Sidney?" I ran a hand through my hair and looked at her. "Don't lie to me young man. You have not been yourself ever since that incident. It doesn't have anything to do with that girl does it?"
I smiled weakly at her and shrugged my shoulders. "It's complicated."
"Give me a try. You know sometimes it's good to get a woman's perspective."
I paused for a few seconds before taking a deep breath. "Her name is Amy. I met her in the summer, never thinking I would see her again. But at the beginning of the season we were struggling so much I was willing to try anything to get back on track. So, I called her and, I don't know, she helped me get my mind off of everything. She was so good to me Nathalie. Always putting me first, she never asked to come to a single game, and she always knew what to say after a tough loss. Spending time with her is like therapy. I can just be myself. Not Sidney Crosby NHL player, just Sidney."
"All of this is in past tense, why?"
I exhaled looking into my lap, "I followed orders. I told her I couldn't talk to her or see her ever again." I looked up into Nathalie's soft eyes and weak smile.
"Sidney you silly boy. When you get a love like that you fight for it. You never let it go." My eyes snapped up at the word love. "Yes, I said love. I am an old woman Sid, I know love when I see it. And whether you want to admit it to yourself or not, you are in love." She patted my leg lightly.
"What do I do?"
"You play hockey. You do what you do best and I will take care of the rest."
♠ ♠ ♠
Trying to slowly get this finished. But, due to some issues cough lockout cough I am lacking in motivation.