Angels and Kings

I'm Not Okay

(Nonnie)

I ran down a bunch of hallways until I realized I didn’t know where I was. There was still time before the show started. I’d stopped crying and asked one of the workers how to get to the buses.

“Are you okay,” the worker asked.

“I’m fine,” I said lying. I followed his directions and found the buses. I thought for a second: if I go to my bus Travis or Callie could be waiting. I didn’t have the strength to deal with them right now. I changed directions and headed to the FOB bus. I headed straight for Pete’s room nobody but him and Hemmy ever really went in there except me. I walked in and found that Pete was sitting on the bed. He got up and I let his arms engulf me in a hug.

“Are you ok,” he said.

“I should be asking you that,” I said looking at his eye. It was swollen and
slowly turning purple.

“I’m just worried about you.”

“I…I don’t know how I feel,” I said and I honestly I didn’t. On the one hand I was relieved because Pete and I didn’t have to hide anymore. On the other and I pissed cause Callie and Travis were…

“You shouldn’t be mad at them,” he said. I pulled out of the hug. Don’t tell me he’s on their side. I turned to leave but he grabbed my wrist. “Hear me out Non,” he said pulling me to sit on the bed. I took a deep breath and sat down. “They didn’t mean to hurt you. I mean you can’t control who you love.”

“Don’t go there Pete you don’t understand, okay.” I really just wanted to ignore the problem for the night. “Can’t we just lay here ‘til we have to go?”

“Where are you going,” he asked as we both climbed into the bed.

“To the merch table.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Oh yeah,” I said wrapping his arms around me.