Angels and Kings

A Little Less "ER", A Little More "Grey's Anatomy

(Callie)

I could barely understand what Pete was saying he was so frantic but I heard Northwestern Memorial Hospital, that was all I needed to know and I immediately called a cab. I ran to GCH's room and told them Nonnie was in the hospital. We spread the word everyone else would meet us there when they got cabs.

I tried to remain calm on the ride over but failed miserably. Travis held my hand to keep it from shaking. When we got there, Pete was in the waiting room head-in-hands. "What happened? How is she?"

"Some crazy fan hit her over the haed with a soap dispenser, it knocked her out. Thank god one of the waitress went into the bathromm when she did or...I don't know what would have happened."

"How is she," asked Travis.

"I'm not sure they told me to wait out here for the doctor."

"Did they catch the girl who did this," I asked.

"No, the waitress immediately tended to Nonnie and the girl was able to run out of the restaurant before she could yell for anyone to stop her." He sat back down and returned to his original position. I didn't know what to say, so I sat down beside him and put my arm around him.

Just then the doctor came out and we all stood up awaiting the news.

"Nonnie suffered a mild concussion nothing too serious but she is still unconscious we expect her to wake up within the next half hour. She'll have quite a headache when she wakes up but other than that she's going to be just fine."

"Can we see her now," asked Travis anxiously.

"Yes but only one at a time."

"Thank you doctor."

"Hey we're here. Was that the doctor? What did she say," asked Bill rushing to us with everyone else in tow. We repeated Pete's account of what happened at the restaurant and what the doctor said. "So who gets to see her first," he asked when we had finished.

"Me," said Pete and Travis at the same time. They glared at each other for a few seconds, then both of their faces seemed to relax.

"You go," said Pete, "She's your sister."

"No it's ok, you go; I know she'll want to see you." Pete nodded a quick thanks before heading back to see her.

"I'm proud of you," I said softly squeezing Travie's hand, "That was really sweet to let Pete go in first."

"I told you I was going to be better," he said smiling.

"Yes you did; and it made me very happy." I kissed his cheek.

We waited for an hour for Pete to come back when he didn't everyone started to get a little antsy. "Where is he? This is what I get for letting him go in first."

"Maybe she hasn't woken up yet," I said.

"If she doesn't wake up soon does that mean she's in a coma," asked Joe absently.

"Don't even say that," I said nervously.

"Ok I can't take it anymore, I'm going back there," announced Bill standing up.

"Me too," said Travis.

"Wait, the doctor said one at a time. We can't just all go back there," said Victoria.

"We'll sneak back," Bill reasoned.

"Yeah, 'cause the hospital staff won't notice about 20 people, most of whom are 6'5" super skinny guys with crazy hair and tight pants, sneaking through the hallway," I said sarcastically.

"Well I'm going to see my sister anyway," said Travis defiantly.

We must have looked like we all need to be transported to the Psych Ward of the hospital sneaking through the hallways Mission Impossible-style but we did make it through without being stopped. When we walked in Nonnie was still not awake and Pete was sitting in a chair beside her bed holding her hand. Non had a white bandage around her to cover her swollen head but other than that she looked peaceful.

Pete looked up and saw us all standing there. "What are you guys doing in here? The doctor said one at a time."

"We got tired of waiting for our turn," said Sisky.

"Sorry, but she still hasn't woken up yet."

Just then Nonnie's eyes began to flutter.