Paranormal

Chapter 06

Dream
Sarah, once again, found herself in her old high school. It was the exact same as before: everything was bright and shiny, and the hallway was endless. Suddenly, Adam popped up. Sarah was startled, but not as startled as she was before.

“Hey, Sarah,” Adam said, leaning against a locker.

“Hi…” Sarah mumbled. “Why am I here again?”

“Why do you think you’re here again?”

“So you can confuse the crap out of me some more?” Adam chuckled a little.

“You’ll get used to it after a while.”

“After a while? How long is this going to keep happening?”

“As long as it takes.”

“…takes to…?” He stared at Sarah, not saying a word for quite some time.

“As long as it takes for you to find out the truth,” was Adam’s response.

“What truth?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Rules.”

“Oh, for God’s sake…” Sarah muttered. The two said nothing for several minutes.

“Do you at least believe that this is actually happening, and that you’re not just dreaming all of this?” Adam questioned in a softer tone.

“…I don’t know,” Sarah replied. “I really don’t know.”

“I think you do.”

“Well, you’re wrong. In a way, I do think it’s you and that this is actually a vision or whatever, but in another way, I don’t think it is.”

“Why don’t you think it’s real?”

“Because I haven’t seen anything miraculous happen yet.”

“The keyword, dear Sarah, is yet.”

“Another thing, your little ‘prediction’ or whatever never did come true. I never m--” Sarah stopped in mid-sentence and thought to herself for a moment. “Wait just a second. Is that Judith chick the girl you told me I was going to meet?”

“Do you think she is?”

“Yes, I do.” Adam didn’t say anything, but he weakly smiled and nodded his head. “So, she’s going to change my life somehow?”

“She might.”

“What’s up with all the might’s and maybes?! I want something real and certain!”

“I wish I could be more straight-forward with you, Sarah, but I can’t.”

“Well why not?!” Adam said nothing. “Oh, that’s right. Your blessed rules.” Adam looked down.

“I had to practically beg just to be able to appear to you, you know. What’s happening now is quite an accomplishment in itself.” Neither of them knew what to say after that. Sarah began thinking to herself. She was actually starting to believe that what Adam was saying was actually true, and that it was, indeed, Adam. She didn’t know why she was beginning to believe everything, but she was.

Out of nowhere, her father’s voice began echoing throughout her head. It echoed: “Always trust your instinct.” As crazy as it sounded, Sarah’s instinct told her to believe what she was hearing. She felt that what was happening was more than a dream. She felt that she could trust Adam. She felt that it was Adam.

She looked down and sighed, then slowly tilted her head back up. She stared into Adam’s eyes.

“So you’re doing this to help me?” she asked. Adam slowly shook his head ‘yes’, and Sarah continued to stare at him. “Well, thanks…I think…” Adam laughed quietly.

“Anytime.” Sarah weakly smiled, then she looked down.

“I never really got over your death…” she mumbled in a quivery voice. Adam looked down as well.

“I know…” he mumbled. They stared at each other, then they slowly moved closer together and hugged. The empty hole that had been in Sarah’s heart, at that moment, became filled once again. The piece of her that had been missing since the death of her beloved boyfriend was back again, if only for that moment.

Sarah pulled away from Adam and stared into his eyes, then the two slowly kissed for the first time in years -- literally.

The next day at lunchtime, Sarah took the same seat as she had taken before. She sighed as she opened her brown bag and removed her sandwich from it. Just then, Judith came rushing over, but this time, she made herself right at home and took a seat without asking. Sarah gave her a dull look, then shook it off and began eating.

“Freakin’ moron was stalking me,” Judith mumbled with a shifty look.

“What the…seriously?” Sarah asked.

“You think I’d lie about something like that?” Sarah then realized that this was Judith’s true personality, and that she wasn’t just having a bad day.

“No, of course not,” Sarah replied, not wanting to start trouble.

“It’s that creepy dude in my Health class. He stalks ninety-nine percent of the girls in his classes.”

“That sucks.”

“Hah, you have no idea! He should just drop out of college altogether and join the National Stalkers Association of America.” Sarah began cracking up at Judith’s malicious, yet funny, remark.

“Yeah…”

“Well you’re talkative today.”

“Oh, sorry. My mind is just on other things…” Of course, Sarah was referring to her dream the previous night.

“Ew, I don’t want to know…” Sarah looked up at Judith and gave her a dirty look.

“No, not that kind of stuff. Just other…stuff…”

“Weird dream or something?” Sarah dropped her sandwich on the table and almost spat out her food.

“How did you know?!”

“I can read minds.” Sarah stared at Judith for a moment, amazed. “…I’m kidding…”

“…oh…hehe…”

“Get it off your mind if it’s bothering you. Think of things you like, such as rainbows, butterflies, and Spongebob.”

“I don’t like any of those!”

“Ah, come on. You know you like Spongebob.”

“No, I don’t!”

“Yeah, ya do.”

“And how would you know?”

“You just really seem like the type of person who would collect Spongebob paraphernalia.” Sarah gave her schoolmate a dirty look. “Well, just telling the truth!” Sarah rolled her eyes and looked at the clock on the wall.

“Oh, crap. I gotta get to class. See you tomorrow, Judy.” She picked up the rest of her sandwich and dumped it in the trash can.

“Don’t call me Judy!” she heard Judith call out. Sarah snickered and walked to class.