When the Words Mean Nothing I'll Still Be Singing

The movie was complete crap

Tom was coming to pick me up in 5 minutes and I was freaking out. Everything needed to be perfect… well I needed to be perfect, or as close as I could get. I put on my plain black, skin tight, mid thy, strapless dress. It wasn’t too dressy; we were only going to a movie. And as friends no less. I didn’t bothering doing anything with my hair, it wouldn’t have made a difference and it would have taken too long. I grabbed my old purple high tops and sat on the stairs to wait for Tom.

“Where are you goin?” my older brother Liam asked as he came down the stairs.

It was nice having him home. He was going to college to become a science teacher, so he was gone for long periods of time. And we were pretty close, so it was hard to have him gone.

“Tom’s taking me to a movie.” I grinned stupidly at the thought of Tom.

He looked surprised, “Tom Sykes?”

I nodded my head, yes. Still grinning.

“And how does Oli feel about that?” he laughed without humour.

“Does it matter?” I asked coldly. Someone always seemed to need to kill my good moods by mentioning Oliver.

“No,” he shook his head, “it just doesn’t seem like something he would let happen without doing something mean to you… but I’m happy to hear you’re actually leaving the house on a weekend with someone other then me.”

I laughed as the doorbell rang, “that’ll be him!”

“Oh, it’s raining! Go grab a sweater, I’ll let him in.” Liam said as he got up and went to the door.

I ran back up to my room and grabbed my Harry Potter sweater. I rushed back down, not wanting Tom to have to wait long.

I saw his gorgeous blue eyes light up when he noticed me come down the stairs. His grin was extremely contagious, I couldn’t stop the huge goofy grin that spread across my face.

Liam shook his head and laughed at us as he walked into the kitchen, “have a good time.”

“We will.” Tom called after him, “you ready?”

“Yup.” I nodded happily as we exited the house.

“Mum let me take the car.” he smiled as we got in, “she said making my date walk wouldn’t be a good first impression.”

We both laughed.

“So this is a date now is it?” I raised an eyebrow making it seem like a joke. But secretly hoping it was a date.

I noticed him nervously shift in his seat. He kept his eyes firmly on the road as he replied, “it’s whatever you want it to be.”

That made my stomach do a back flip. What ever I wanted it to be! What do I say to that? I smiled awkwardly and looked down at my lap. I felt stupid! Why couldn’t I just say: ‘I’d like it if this were a date’. Back when Oliver and I were friends I would have probably announced that this was a date and if Tom didn’t like it he could take me home. But all the years I’ve spent alone really made me shy and introverted.

“Ah! I love this song.” Tom said suddenly and turned up the radio. He started singing along to ‘Sugar We’re Goin’ Down’ by Fall Out Boy.

“Seriously?” I laughed.

“What’s wrong with it?” he grinned

I laughed again and shook my head, “nothing.”

We continued to talk and joke around until we got to the theatre. I let Tom pick the movie. He paid for the both of us and bought a truckload of snacks.

“Really Tom, we’re never gonna finish all this.” I laughed as we took our seats perfectly in the middle of the theatre.

“Speak for yourself.” He grinned, “I could finish this all on my own, be happy I’m sharing with you.”

“Oh, I’m very grateful.” I smiled and jokingly rolled my eyes.

We continued to joke around until the movie started. After trying to pay attention to the ridicules ‘horror’ movie for 10 minutes I just gave up. I loved horror movies, but this was just crap! Whoever came up with it and thought it was frightening must have been on crack!

I looked around the large room to see that thee were only 5 other people. I had no problem believing it either. I looked over at Tom. He was intently watching the screen, wide eyed. Continuously shoving popcorn into his mouth, eyes never leaving the screen. I couldn’t even begin to fathom what was keeping him so engrossed in the film.

I looked back at the screen as a woman began to rip her skin off with her bare hands. Children, that I assumed were hers, were screaming bloody murder, as blood, skin, and their mother’s insides were thrown everywhere.

I couldn’t help but laugh at the shear stupidity of it. I couldn’t even bring myself to try and watch the movie after that. There was just no way. I quickly found myself zoning out completely, and soon it was over.

“What did you think?” Tom asked as he threw out his garbage as we excited the room.

“That was in the top ten worst movies I have ever sat through.” I laughed

“Really?” he asked sounding surprised, “I thought you liked those kinds of movies… that’s why I picked it.”

I laughed, “aww, I do, but that was just plane bad.”

He laughed as we reached the doors, “Shit, It’s still raining.”

“So it is.” I nodded in agreement as we walked out of the theatre.

We ran to the car and got in as quickly as possible. I still managed to get soaked.

“It’s just pissing out.” I laughed as Tom started the car.

“Mmhmmm.” He nodded in agreement, “so what didn’t you like about the movie?”

“Well.” I took a big breath and let the rant begin.

By the end of my rant Tom was starting to tear up with laughter. I was a little frightened seeing as he was driving and having a laugh attack. Tom –somehow- managed to get me home safely, I was very grateful for that.

“So ah… Hunter?” Tom asked shyly, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

I looked at him to show I was listening.

“Would you, ah, like to do something? Tomorrow… I mean, you know, with me?”

I laughed at how weird he was being, “of course!”

He looked relieved, “okay… I’ll come over around 12, if that’s okay with you that is!”

“Sounds good.”

“Kay.”

“So, ah… thanks for today, I had a really good time.” I said as I got out of the car.

Tom grinned at that, “I did too… I really like hanging out with you.”

“Thanks, I like chilln’ with you too, well I’m gettn’ drenched out here, so see you tomorrow.” I said as I closed the door.

Tom honked the horn s he pulled out of my driveway. I had the biggest grin plastered across my face as I entered the house. I took off my shoes and jacket at the door and hung up my jacket to dry.

“Liam?” I called as I walked towards the living room.

“Yeah? I’m in the living room.” He replied.

I walked into the room and took a seat next to Liam on the couch. He was watching one of my favourite shows, The Adams Family.

“How did the movie go?” Liam asked when a commercial came on.

“The movie was complete crap.” I shrugged, “but I enjoyed spending time with Tom.”

Liam laughed, “naturally.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to CypherToorima and zacky baker; for commenting! this one’s for both of you!