Evergreen

Rescue

I quickly stopped pitying myself and my position. Most people would give anything to have what I have - to live forever, to be immortal, immune to sickness and death. I gently laid my head on my knees, hugging them tightly towards my chest. No matter how much I desired for it, I knew that my brother wouldn't confront me here, the place where we grew up both together and apart. I was considering moving northwards, hoping maybe then dear Nicolas face me there, but a voice suddenly made me halt.

"Can you guys get off of me?" the voice said, soft and almost barely audible.

Yet another amusing fact about humans crossed my mind. They never know how to defend themselves when faced with an event that decided their very lives. I allowed my curiosity and mouthwatering bloodlust to draw me towards the voice. The desperate thirst drew me closer, intoxicating me with its sweet scent. The thirst scratched at my throat, slowly turning maddened rage. As I quietly rushed towards the aroma, I discovered two very human boys pushing this human girl against the tree. A groan escaped my lips. I was so thirsty, but those boys were not the ones that smelled so delectable. Her scent was nothing I ever smelled before. It was sweet, yet tart to my senses, reminiscent to a citrusy scent.
No words could describe it. I never smelled anything like it before. I stalked the forest with swift ease, the two boy’s features perfectly visible even in the impenetrable darkness.
As I reached the two male humans, I noticed the girl’s heartbeat slow down. Huh. Does she really think I was safer than them? Humans… They were such trusting, naïve creatures. I could not understand how I was one before. I slowly walked behind the two boys. The moment they locked onto my blood red eyes, they immediately ran. Well, I doubted my eyes induced such a fearful reaction. The images I sent into their minds were far more terrifying. Obviously, it was enough since they dashed off like the little cowardly dogs they are. Weak… As they left their victimized human to her lonesome, my instincts suddenly flared up. Her scent… was so divine! Her green orbs glowed in the darkness. Her little curls were a golden yellow; strands of brown peeked out in the midst of gold.Truly, it was the strangest hair I’ve ever seen. I never seen a human with that kind of color. Was it even natural? I walked up to her.

"Th-thank you for saving me," She said softly, stuttering. Well! I guess my red eyes do strike some sort of fear after all! Who would have guessed? In her mortal view, my eyes must have not looked as benevolent as she once perceived them to be. Even though I did not offer an answer, she kept her stance. I continued stalking forward, allowing the scent to pull me closer. That wasn’t the only thing that captivated my attention. Her soft, bronze skin fascinated me, and her little white dress just fell above her knees. Maybe it was the swooping v-cut of her dress that caught my attention, revealing a small string of pearls wrapped around her pale neck. I quickly shook my head. I never found such petty details inviting or attractive on any human girl. It was strange how I noticed all that, and more, now of all times. It made me completely forget the true reason why I came to her rescue, how I planned to drain her of her blood and be on my merry way. The image of me drinking her blood did cross my mind, but it did not hold the same satisfaction it usually would. Tasting such sweetness made me feel sad, angry, full of regret. What was the matter with me? When did I feel such a sense of… morality? It was as if that little human was sending those images into my head, forcing this ethical affliction to occur. Of course, that was completely impossible. There was only one truly gifted enough to anything of that sort. With that thought in mind, I decided to place a satisfying revenge, sending images into her head.
Alas, all of it refused to pass through. Befuddled, I played with other mental illustrations, hoping to incite some sort of emotion.Calming images did make her rapid heartbeat slow down. Horrifying images did make her cringe in fear.

"It was nothing," I replied quietly. I knew no matter how much I wanted to, I couldn't kill her. With that tiny fact, I felt no reason to completely mask myself. Her heart slowed exponentially, relieved to hear me speak. She gingerly walked away from her vulnerable position against the tree. As she sauntered towards me, her curly mane bounced with her every step.

"Uh...I don’t mean to be a burden, but I'm kinda lost. Could you help me… find my way?" she asked, her soft pinks lips curving into a smile.

“Why, of course,” I replied, trying to conceal my frightening red orbs and replacing with my old gray ones. I never knew humans would be naïve enough to ask a complete stranger for help. She truly is as innocent as she seems. Maybe she was reassured by the fact I rescued, assuming that meant I met her no harm. Such a naïve human thought…
She trotted beside me as I exited the forest. I honestly had no idea what to do. I never expected anything like this to happen. That’s my punishment I suppose for saving her…
All I knew was that I rescued a girl I simply can’t kill. No matter how much her blood intoxicated my senses with its sweet scent…I could not and will not kill her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, dearies! This is Moonlit Serenade speaking.

Ah-hah! Its a lovely update, people~
I was hoping to get this out earlier... but school just started for me and I feel dead. Once I get used to the routine I hope it will get better...

Anyways, enough of my griping! Please, comment, subscribe, and all that good stuff.

Feedback = love <3

Thanks to those who did. My love goes out to all of you!!