Sequel: More Than Anything
Status: COMPLETED [Wait for the sequel :D]

Close to Nothing

Starting To Scare People

I crouched low and circled every tree on my path. I’ve been on my hunt for over three hours now, trying to find some kind of trace. But it was impossible because the scent disappeared and appeared in random places. At least I knew that he was here, I just couldn’t pinpoint his exact location. I was exhausted and I felt dirty. I decided to satisfy my thirst and leave. I ran around, trying to find a suitable prey when I noticed a young doe.

I grinned to myself. This was going to be fun. I crawled after it, hoping that it would stay in one spot but as soon as it sensed me, it sprang off. I chased after it, scaring it sometimes and laughing aloud when I almost caught it. I suddenly remembered my mother saying ‘Don’t play with your food.’ I snorted to myself but decided to just kill the poor thing.

It leaped and at that moment I sprang upon it. I didn’t realize how thirsty I was until the scent of its blood hit me full. I leaned my head down to it’s neck and suddenly froze. Two pairs of golden brown eyes were staring out at me from the bushes. As I watched, the bushes shifted a little and I could see a smile below the eyes. The strange face grinned at me and winked. I dropped the doe and sprang away as fast as I could.

I got home and slammed the door shut. It was no use but I locked the door as well. I was starting to panic. I had to get out of here fast. If that was a human, then the police would be at my door within minutes, either to arrest me or put me in an asylum. But then…what if it was one of my kind? Who would be in the woods at this hour?
The police a voice in my head muttered.

It was true, the police was all over the woods these days. The strange killings here made the whole town uncomfortable and they were all relying on Chief Swan and his team to solve the crimes.

I sat down on the floor and leaned my head back against the front door. I tried to calm myself down. I’d go to school tomorrow and act as though nothing is wrong. The police couldn’t have recognized me either way. It was way too dark.

* * * * * * * * *

I was paranoid at school the next day. I felt as though someone was constantly staring at me and accusing me of something. I had three classes with the Cullens and they couldn’t seem to take their eyes off me. In physics, Jasper would look at me sideways every five minutes, looking uneasy. In my calculus class, the beautiful blonde, Rosalie, would glare at me for no reason.

But that wasn’t such a big deal. The biggest problem was that I was thirsty. I ran off so fast yesterday that I didn’t get a single drop of blood. It’s been 6 days since I last fed and it was taking its toll on me. I was going dizzy with the smell of human blood everywhere and my mouth was literally watering for it.

I was sitting in bio, trying to ignore the smells of everyone around me. The only person who didn’t appeal to me was the big guy Emmett who I was sitting next to. I wholeheartedly ignored him. Kevin sat in front of me. He suddenly turned around when the teacher was speaking on the phone.
“Did you do the chemistry homework last night?” he asked me and I nodded, although I was concentrating on the vein on his neck that was pulsing with blood. He must’ve said something because he said, “Hey, earth to Eleanora!” and waved a hand in front of my face.
“What?” I asked, tearing my eyes away from his neck.
“I asked if you where contacts, your eyes are such a dark blue color,” he said.
“Oh uh yeah, contacts,” I said, staring hungrily at his neck again.
“Are you alright? You’re knuckles are white from clutching the desk so hard,” he pointed out. I didn’t notice that. I let go of the desk quickly and put my hands in my lap. The teacher continued the lesson. Thank God.

I suddenly felt a heavy gaze on me and looked to my left. Emmett quickly averted his gaze but I noticed how he looked confused and a little cautious next to me. I sighed and buried my face in my hands. I was starting to scare people.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I got home at 7 and threw my bag on the floor. I had gone to a movie to distract myself from blood for a couple of hours. Thank goodness it gets dark here quickly. Without bothering to change, I sprung out my window and ran into the forest. A low growl was rumbling in my chest. I would settle for anything now: a rabbit, a chipmunk, whatever just as long as it had blood. But I got luckier. A deer was racing through the forest as well. It was big, almost my height. I grinned wildly. I bet to an outsider I would’ve looked like I was insane. I sprang after the deer, chasing it. I must’ve gotten weakened by so many days of not feeding; the deer was fast and I thought I’d never catch it. Finally it stopped. We were in an area of the woods that I haven’t really explored. The deer stood still as though trying to smell me. I crouched low and moved slowly after it. I was mere inches away from it when it sprang away. “NO!” I roared with anger and leapt into the air to follow it but a pair of strong arms caught me around the waist.