Surviving the End

Surviving the End

As she was lying on her bed, the girl played with her hair; her elegant fingers twisting the strands of red around and around and around. Her blue eyes watched the clock that sat on the shelf above her, the clock that slowly ticked away the seconds, which chased away the minutes, the hours; because that’s really what it all came down to. The hours.

The girl's eyes were lined heavily in black eyeliner, black shadow covered her eye lids, mascara covered her blond lashes. Her lips were painted a deep red, the colors perfect for the black and red outfit that she was wearing. Her shirt tight and red, her pants tight and black hugged her curled figure as she waited; her black nailed hands playing with a sting or with hair.

Outside, the sound of people panicking came to her ears, people screaming as they were being attacked. Someone was banging on her front door, her mother carefully answered it find her friends on the other side. Blood covered their outfits, and they were invited in. It was funny how they came to her house now. It was funny how they would care to be with her.

Her friends entered her room, all taken aback to find her calmly lying on her bed, her black lined, blue eyes staring at the clock. They yelled; they shook the bed. Nothing they did caught her attention, or made her move. The girls started crying, the boys just stared. They knew what was going to happen to her. They knew it was their fault.

The girl gave a sigh, and changed positions, not taking in the chaos that was around her. She was returning the poison they had given her the entire time. As she moved around them, screaming about her problems, they didn’t move. They didn't take in the emotions she needed to get across. They weren't phased by her tears, they didn’t pay attention as her world fell into shattering pieces. Now that the world was ending around them, they cried to her, who wasn't phased by their tears, who didn't pay attention to the emotions they needed to get across. She just lied on her bed, twirling her hair, watching as the clocked ticked down the two minutes they all had to live.

An explosion could be heard from town, and the room shook. The clock vibrated on the shelf, starting to fall off. The second hand ticked it’s way to the twelve.

Ten.
Nine.
Eight.
Seven.


Her friends fell to their knees, crying, saying their goodbyes. How noble of them to think that it would be better if they all died together, with their friends, but what they didn’t count on is what would happen once time ran out.

Five.
Four.
Three.
Two.
One.


That was is. They were gone. The girl sat up from her bed, and looked to find the bodies of her friends lying on the floor. A smile tugged at her red lips, as she saw the people who were once alive, were now like her. But a pain came as she realized that it wasn't fair, that she lived and they died. But in order to survive the end of the world, you have to already be dead.

The girl dodged the bodies of her friend and made her way down her stairs and out her front door to find the bodies in the street, all dead, none living. The smile that had played on her lips faded, as a feeling came to her stomach. Clutching her stomach, she fell to the ground, her black lined blue eyes staring up at nothing, her expressionless face letting everyone know that she was dead.

The only way to survive the end of the world, is to be dead on the inside, not just the out.