Status: Slowly Active

Regrets? I've Had a Few.

Stepping Stone

Elanor woke up the next morning to the sounds of someone bustling around in the kitchen. She stretched, pulling her arms above her head and spreading her legs out.

The bed was empty.

She didn't feel Sid get out of bed this morning. She didn't even notice.

Sighing, she pulled herself out of bed and walked, lazily, through the house, hoping to find Sid the reason for the noise in the kitchen. "Sid, what are you--" Elanor stopped when she saw Anne sipping a cup of coffee at the table, reading the paper. "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were Sid."

Anne smiled, gesturing for her to accompany her at the table. "It's quite alright, dear." Anne took a quick swig of her coffee again and grinned at the disheveled girl. "So, any plans for the day?"

"Um, I'm not sure." Elanor smiled sheepishly. "You didn't happen to see Sid this morning did you?"

"I thought I saw him leaving early this morning, around dawn."

"Oh."

"He should be back before noon, though. He's probably just scouting around."

"Scouting around?"

Anne laughed, waving her hand in dismissal. "You know Sid. Never can have too much." Anne opened her mouth to continue but was interrupted by the sound of the front door opening. "I imagine that's him, now."

Elanor looked over her shoulder to see Sid stomping into the kitchen, pulling his chair out roughly and taking his seat beside her at the table. "Fuckin' wankers." Sid mumbled, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it.

"Something wrong, love?" Anne cooed.

"No," Sid clamped his index finger and thumb over the bridge of his nose. "It's nothin'."

"Couldn't find anything?"

"No."

"Well," Anne pursed her lips, nodding towards the cupboard beneath the sink. "You know, I have what you're looking for. I don't understand why you'd go out and waste good money on something that I'd be willing to give you for free."

"Because, that's yours mum."

"Well, what's mine is yours." Anne grabbed the bag out from under the sink, securing the twisty-tie and tossed it, lightly, into Sid's hands. "I hate to see my baby suffer."

Sid grinned, stuffing the baggie into his coat pocket. "Thanks, mum." He stood up, grabbing Elanor's arm and pulled her to the door. "We're goin' out."

Elanor followed Sid out of the door and onto the sidewalk. "Where are we going?"

"To the pub."

Elanor nodded. Although it was way too early to be drinking, she thought it was better to comply with Sid than to go against him and get him worked up. Especially, when he had about a couple ounces of blow in his pocket. "So, is your mom going to get herself more?"

Sid shrugged. "Usually, she does."

"Why didn't you wake me up this morning? I could have gone with you."

"No," Sid shook his head. "I don't want you gettin' mixed up in that part of town."

"Why not? I would have been fine."

"Goddammit, El. I said no." Sid tightened his grip on her forearm. "There's a lot of fuckin' weird people out there and you're safer not knowin' 'em."

Elanor sighed, frustrated. "Stop treating me like glass, Sid. I'm not gonna break."

Sid laughed, "What?"

"You keep fucking sheltering me and I'm never going to get to experience anything on my own. That's exactly why I wanted to get away from my mother."

"You wanna go out there and meet those people? They're fucked in the head, El. I'm tellin' ya." Sid, pulled her arm, stopping her, and wrapped her up in his arms. His hand toyed with her hair as he leaned down, placing a small peck on her temple. "I'm just tryin' to protect you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Subscribe?

xoxoxo