Symbol

Three

Aaron nearly jumped out of her fragile human skin when she saw me sitting in her windowsill. Her hand flew up to her beating heart which had taken off like a rocket as she took deep breaths. My teeth clenched together. I was happy I had hunted two days ago.

“God you scared me!” She whispered, closing the door so her parents wouldn’t hear us. Not that any human in this house would be able to tell that a vampire was in their daughters room… “What are you doing here?”

I sighed and bit my lip, looking down. With the constant secrecy, sneaking around the Opposites and what not, I haven’t gone hunting in two days. That was considered risky, dangerous. But we needed them to not expect to see us everyday. We figured it would buy us some time…

“What…?” Aaron asked, taking a hesitant step towards me. “What is it?” She knew me well.

“…Goodbye, Aaron.” I whispered, and vanished before she could reply.

The cool wind whipped at my face. I told myself that was what was causing the tears to leak and spill out of my currently purple eyes. With one simple word, I cut Aaron out of my life and me out of hers. It was safer that way, I told myself. Maybe that would bring me comfort. My heart has been dead for many years now, a useless lump in my chest. But now, I actually felt its weight, pulling me down into the darkness.

Aaron stood frozen in her room, staring at the windowsill. She hadn’t seen Kaya move an inch. She vanished just as suddenly as she had appeared. It was almost as if she was never there, and it was all just a dangerous dream.

Aaron hadn’t noticed her lips turning slightly blue, along with her face. She took a catch breath quickly before allowing herself to sink to the floor. Never having any human friends never bothered her; never having more than one friend didn’t either. Now, within the time period of a second, her best friend left her, vanished into thin air. Aaron’s happiness vanished in the same second.

She heard a knock on the door, followed by a pounding. Aaron didn’t notice. She had forgotten her door was locked. All the negative, horrible things about Aaron’s life never stood out until now. Her eye lids slid over her eyes, and she hoped for darkness, for sleep. That was not what she received. Instead, it was only a nightmare, darker than reality. Images of the vampire, questioned and then executed at the airport, in front of hundreds appeared in her mind. Aaron never looked into the eyes of the vampire, but in this nightmare she knew she had to.

It was Kaya.

Aaron awake with a scream, struggling out of her bed which seemed certain to hold her down. What the hell? I knew I was on the floor, how can I be on my bed now? Her eyes shot open, and Aaron found herself in a hospital room, restrained to a bed. Her parents were no where in sight, her room had vanished. Oh… I guess I did fall asleep. She thought. Now she realized there was a doctor standing at the foot of her bed, smiling sweetly at her. He had blonde hair reflecting the light as his dark brown eyes burned into her more hostile than his smile. Aaron was beyond the simple word ‘confused’.

“You’re alright. Your parents found you unconscious in your room, and you have been thrashing in your sleep.” The doctor explained. Having this simple fact did not comfort Aaron. It only gave her the reason for why she was restrained to her bed, unable to move.

“I’m not thrashing anymore.” Aaron snapped, glaring at the doctor. His smile widened as he nodded, moving towards Aaron and undoing the straps. She straightened herself upright immediately, going to pull herself out of the bed. The doctor put his hand out, stopping her.

“I’m afraid you can’t leave, there are some people here who wanted to speak with you. Just a few moments and you may leave with your parents.” The doctor explained. Aaron sighed. The memory of Kaya was becoming more blurred; it was fading, as all memories do. Aaron’s heart rate was gradually increasing with each thought.

“Why would anyone want to talk to me!?” Aaron exclaimed, trying to get out of bed again. The doctor stood in her way.

“The Vampiric Police. They will be done speaking with you quickly.”

Aaron froze, finally examining this man. His eyes were fierce, tense. His jaw tight with worry. Even though there was technically nothing frightening about the Opposites to humans, they still felt tense around them, worried, anxious. Terrified.

It took everything from Aaron to keep from hyperventilating as she watched the two Opposites glide into the room like shadows. She sat on the side of her bed, terrified.

“Hello.” One said his voice lifeless. Aaron nodded. She could feel all color drain out of her face at the tone of his voice.

“We smelled a vampire in your room.” The other said. They both shaved their heads, like all Opposites. Aaron could only slightly detect what color their hair could have been. Midnight black and platinum blond. They both carried the dull gray color in their eyes. Aaron froze at his words. She didn’t know what to say.

“Did a vampire attack you?” They asked, the only emotion Aaron could see in their dead faces was that of hope. Hope that they would get the chance to execute a vampire.

“She has no injuries.” The doctor pointed out, obviously uncomfortable. Everyone in the room acted as if they didn’t hear him. Aaron shook her head. Her voice seemed to have vanished. She heard the Opposites grind their teeth together.

“Did you see a vampire in your room?” The blonde one asked. Aaron did not hesitate; she shook her head quickly, lying. The last thing she could do for Kaya now was to protect her in any way possible.

“…Are you sure?” They asked, losing hope of tracking down the vampire. Aaron glared, something inside her chest welled up to the back of her throat.

“Look, I didn’t see, hear, smell, nor was I attacked by a vampire of any kind. Mutated or not.” Aaron half shrieked. So, the thing in the back of her throat was her voice, completely filled with rage? The Opposites glared, their jaws immediately went tight. They were sensitive to the word ‘mutation’.

“I wouldn’t speak so rudely to those that are protecting you, girl.” The black haired Opposite spat, leaning in so that he was eye to eye with Aaron. Aaron opened her mouth to say something along the lines of ‘the only thing you are protecting is yourselves’, but she resisted. They would become suspicious. Kaya she thought keep your damn mouth shut for Kaya!

The two Opposites stormed out of the room without another word. Aaron sat breathless on her bed, only to find that she was shaking. The doctor had relaxed, and called her parents into the room. Aaron didn’t hear him, or her parents rushing into the room. Her thoughts dwelled upon the nightmare she had. Kaya’s eyes, wild with fear, screaming in pain as the Opposites tortured and killed her. Aaron’s jaw locked. She didn’t know where Kaya had gone or why she left. Aaron only knew that she couldn’t allow that dream to come true.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need to update my stories more often... -.-

This chapter was a little more difficult for me to write. I'm better at 1st person, and most of this chapter was 3rd.

So, give me some feedback! I'd like to know your opinion on this story and my writing style!