Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 20

With her legs stretched out across the sofa, Andrea sat with Connor next to her as she read yet another Roald Dahl story to him. After finishing The Twits the previous night, they had started reading The Witches after lunch.

As she began to read the third chapter she couldn’t help but pause as she felt Abigail move around quietly within her womb. Her pause caused Connor to turn and face her with a quizzical look.

“Why do you stop? Are you okay Andie?” he asked noticing how she held her hand over her protruding belly.

“Yeah, Abigail’s just having a bit of a move around that’s all.” She replied with a smile. Immediately his little hands were on her stomach, a large grin forming on his lips as he felt her move.

She soon stopped moving, having found a comfortable position and Connor removed his hands, turning back to where he could see the book again.

“Andie?” he asked as she took a breath before starting to read again.

“Yes?”

“Will you read to Abigail when she comes out?” he asked.

“Yeah I will. Actually, she can probably hear me read to you all the time anyway.” She replied.

“She can hear us?” he exclaimed turning to face her with wide eyes.

“Yeah, and do you know, she relaxes more when I’m reading with you.” she replied quietly.

“Wow! Hi Abigail.” He replied lowering his head so that he was level with her stomach. There was a soft kick in reply.

“There, did you see that she liked that. I think that was her way of saying hello back.” she said with a large smile.

“Oh wow, that’s the most awesomest thing ever!” he exclaimed, adjusting himself on the sofa so that he was led watching Andie’s stomach intently, his hands gently resting on her stomach.

“Hey, have you guys done reading?” Michelle’s voice asked as she walked into the living room.

“Mommy! Guess what! I said hi to Abigail and she said hello back by kicking Andie!” he exclaimed jumping up off the sofa and over to her.

“Really? Wow that’s great. Do you mind if I talk to Andie for a few minutes though?” she asked as she picked him up to her hip.

“Yeah. I’m going to go tell Daddy about Abigail anyway.” He replied wriggling out of her grasp and running off up the stairs in search of Brian.

Andie straightened herself where she sat and watched with an apprehensive smile as Michelle joined her on the sofa. “Everything okay?” she asked hoping that Michelle didn’t notice how tense her voice was.

“Yeah everything fine, there’s just a little something I would like to talk to you about.” She replied with a nervous smile. Andie wasn’t sure of what to make of Michelle’s words and the look on her face. She didn’t seem angry or upset, but there was something on her mind.

“Go ahead.” Andie said quietly.

“Okay, so Brian and I have been talking about our situation and although we have a lot of things after Connor and Ella for you to have when Abigail comes along, there are a number of things that you’ll need new.” She began.

“Ok-ay.” Andie replied sounding and looking slightly confused.

“So I was thinking you need to have a baby shower to get a few of those things.” She said timidly, nibbling at her lower lip as their eyes met.

“Oh no Michelle, seriously there’s no need. I can get that stuff myself. You’re doing enough already with all the stuff from Ella.” She protested with wide eyes and a shake of her head.

“I thought you might say that, so um, I’ve already arranged one.” She replied.

“Michelle! No, there’s no need really, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but can’t you cancel it?” she replied pleadingly.

“Well, there’s only one problem with that. It might be a little bit of too short notice now.” She replied nervously.

“Why? Michelle? When is this baby shower?” Andie asked with a slightly worried tone.

“Everyone’s arriving in two hours.” She replied cautiously.

“Two hours! Are you kidding me?” she exclaimed.

“I told you she wouldn’t like it!” Brian said some what smugly as he entered the room, with Ella upside down in his arms, screaming with laughter as he tickled her.

“Shush Bri, she’s going to love it when they all get here.” Michelle replied throwing a scowl in Brian’s direction.

“I do like it, and I really appreciate the thought and the effort, but I just think that you’ve both done enough for me. The fact that I’ve still got a job and a roof over my head is more that enough.” Andie replied with a smile.

“Don’t be daft. Do you realise what a difference you’ve made to this family? We’d be lost without you. This is the least we can do.” She replied, a twinge of guilt coursing through Andie’s body as Michelle placed a hand on her knee.

“Thank you.” she whispered with a small nod of her head.

“Okay, now you two say bye to Andie and Mommy, we’re getting chucked out of the house for the afternoon.” Brian said placing Ella on her feet.

“Where are you heading to?” Andie asked as she leaned down to give both Ella and Connor a hug and a kiss.

“Dad’s. Seeing that he’s on his own what with Suzy coming here.” Brian replied. “Oh, and she said all the food is sorted.”

“Brilliant.” Michelle cheered as Brian took Ella in his arms again.

“Suppose I better go and get ready then.” Andie stated hoisting herself of the sofa.

A little less than two hours later Andie made her way back down the stairs, the sound of women talking coming from the kitchen.

“I was going to do some prawn vol-a-vants as well, but I didn’t think that would be fair on Andie not being able to eat them.” Suzy said to Michelle as Andie walked into the kitchen.

“Thanks. It’s been so hard not being able to eat stuff like that.” Andie said, causing the two women to turn to face her.

“Oh I know. I was the same, especially with McKenna. All I wanted to eat was shellfish.” Suzy replied.

“It always seems to be the foods you want most are the ones they tell you to avoid. I was so lucky with Ella considering the amount of caffeine I was drinking at one point.” Michelle agreed.

“So who else is coming?” Andie asked picking up a handful of chips from one of the bowls.

“Oh just a few of us. Just the other girls.” Michelle replied nervously just as the doorbell sounded.

“I’ll get it.” Andie replied turning to head towards the front door. “So you knew about this and didn’t tell me?” she asked as she opened the door to find Rhian stood there with a large hamper full of baby stuff.

“Sorry. Don’t be mad. Michelle made me swear to keep it a surprise.” She replied stepping in to the house.

“Okay, I’ll forgive you this once.” She replied with a sigh and an eye roll.

“Great, and anyway, once you’ve seen all the stuff I’ve bought you you’ll forget about it all.” She replied with a smug grin.

“Yeah…whatever.” She replied with a chuckle as she led her into the living room where Suzy and Michelle were laying out the bowls and trays of food.

They were soon joined by the other three girls, all baring bundles of baby orientated gifts. They were all sat around in the living room talking baby talk, sharing experiences, as Andie began to open and look at each of the gifts she’d received.

“Okay, now that one that you’re about to open is actually more for you and for after Abigail’s born.” Rhian stated as Andie picked up the last of the neatly wrapped parcels out of the hamper.

Andie gave her a quizzical look through narrowed eyes as she began to peel the wrapping paper away. “Rhi, you know me too well.” She announced as she pulled a large bottle of white wine from the paper.

“I thought you might appreciate it after not being able to drink for so many months.” she replied with a wink.

“I will don’t you worry about that.” She replied “Thanks guys, you’ve all been so generous. I really appreciate all that you’ve done for me. Thank you.” she said glancing around each of the girls.

“Actually, there’s one more thing.” Michelle said with a hesitant smile.

“Michelle, no. Seriously now, you’ve done enough.” Andie pleaded.

“This is something Brian and I have been talking about anyway and it just makes more sense to do it now with the baby almost here.” Michelle replied.

“Ok-ay?” Andie replied cautiously.

“I’ve been having a look at houses. Bigger houses so that we can all live there comfortably, with everyone having their own room, including Abigail when she’s ready for her own room.” she explained, watching as Andie’s jaw dropped lower with every word.

“You’re going to move?” Val asked with a tone of confusion.

“No!” Andie stated sternly.

“But Andie it makes sense. We –“

“No! You can’t. You can’t do this for me. You’re doing all this stuff for me, for which I’m grateful, but-“ Andie retorted with tears edging their way to the corners of her eyes.

“Andie, please, we just want you and Abigail to have –“

“No!” Andie yelled standing up. “You don’t understand. It’s too much. I can’t do this. You’re being too nice, all the god damn time!” she announced as tears streamed down her cheeks before she turned and made a hasty exit through the front door.

“Hormones affect different people in different ways.” Suzy mused as the other girls watched in a stunned silence.

“I better go after her. I’m sorry Michelle, as Suzy said it must be the hormones.” Rhian said quickly and apologetically picking up her purse and following Andie through the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks as always to all my lovely readers, especially all of you who take the time to comment as well :) Keep it going!

I would like to take this opportunity to promote a story that I think you might like... Gypsy. Go give it a try....

Andie - reading with Connor
Andie - baby shower