Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 21

“Andie! Wait! God damn it woman how can you move so fast!” Rhian called after her best friend. Andrea was already a fair few yards ahead of her and showed no sign of stopping or even slowing down. with a huff, Rhian kicked off her pumps, picking them up before running bare footed down the sidewalk, finally catching up to her friend.

“Andie!” she repeated grabbing her wrist gently pulling her to a halt.

“I can’t do this. I can’t. You should have let me run when I first found out. It would have been so much easier.” she yelled quietly through sobs.

“Running wouldn’t have solved anything And, you know that.” She replied pulling the crying, pregnant woman into her embrace.

“Come on, come back to mine.” She said quietly as she linked their arms, leading her towards her car.

Passing her friend a large mug of herbal tea, Rhian sat down next to her on the large sofa.
“Do you want to talk about it?” Rhian asked quietly as she took a sip of her own tea.

“No.” Andie replied shortly, her eyes fixed on the liquid in her mug.

“Okay.” she replied quietly with a nod.

“Will things ever be simple again?” Andie asked suddenly, not lifting her eyes from the mug.

“I wish I could tell you that it will, but I’m sorry honey it’s probably going to get worse before it gets better.” She replied. Andie rolled her eyes up to glare at her.

“You truly are a great, supportive friend do you know that?” she said, sarcasm dripping from every word.

“I know I do try.” Rhian replied with a sarcastic smile.

“She keeps on being so fucking nice all the god damn time!” Andie spat going back to staring at her mug of tea.

“I know.” Rhian replied simply.

“If she was a bitch, just a little bit, this would be a hell of a lot easier for me.” she continued. “But no! She has to be the epitome of perfect. Do everything for me! Help me out with clothes and other baby stuff, threw me a baby shower! And if that wasn’t enough they want to move house so that there’s more room for us all! So we can be one big fucking happy family!”

“But didn’t she say that it was something that they were thinking about doing anyway?” Rhian replied cautiously, earning herself a glare from the woman next to her.

“Maybe so, but they’re still doing it now for me!” she replied. “And there’s another thing. Brian. I really don’t think he actually gets what’s happening and how serious it could be if…when people find out.”

“Do you think he cares about what will happen? I mean maybe he’s using this situation as a way to get out of a bad marriage.” Rhian replied thoughtfully.

“Actually that’s a good point. He has told me that he isn’t totally happy with Michelle, and I don’t think he’s in love with her in the same way he used to be.” She replied.

“Do you think he loves you?” she asked. Andie was silent for a moment as she thought. She would be lying if she said that it wasn’t something she’d thought about at least once over the past couple of months.

“Honestly, I don’t know! I think there’s part of him that at least thinks he loves me, but I don’t think he’s in love with me.” she replied. Rhian nodded taking another long sip of her tea as she thought about the situation.

“So what do you want to do?” she asked after a long silence.

“I take it turning the clock back a year is out of the question?” she asked receiving a sympathetic look from her friend. “I really don’t know. I just know that I can’t keep on like this. I’ve got a baby to think about and all this stress can’t be good for her. I need a breather.” She replied.

“Do you want to chill out here for tonight?” Rhian asked.

“Are you sure? I won’t be in your way or anything will I?” she replied.

“Don’t be daft woman! You know you’re welcome here anytime you want.” She said placing a hand on Andie’s knee. “And anyway, what are friends for right?”

“Thanks Hun, I don’t know what I’d do without you sometimes.” She said with a smile.

“Only sometimes?” Rhian joked with a wide smile.

****

It was Abigail making her presence known that woke Andie from her sleep the following morning. She opened her eyes slowly, staring up at the ceiling of one of Rhian’s spare rooms, her hand gently circling her large stomach.

“What are we going to do baby girl?” she whispered looking at her stomach as if it was going to provide all of the answers. With a sigh she pushed the bed covers off her and hoisted herself up of the bed, making a quick trip to the bathroom before heading downstairs.

It was still early so it didn’t come as too much of a shock that Rhian hadn’t emerged yet. She made herself a mug of tea; her morning mug of tea the only mug of regular tea she allowed herself since finding out she was pregnant; and placed two slices of bread into the toaster.

“Morning sweetie, I thought I heard someone pottering around.” Rhian’s sleepy voice said as she entered the kitchen still dressed in her pyjamas, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

“Sorry Hun, I didn’t mean to wake you.” she replied apologetically.

“Don’t worry you didn’t.” she replied taking a mug from the cupboard.

“No that was my doing.” Jimmy stated as he suddenly appeared in the kitchen doorway with a smug grin on his face.

“Shit! When did you get here? And Ew! Really didn’t need to know that!” Andie replied.

“I’ve been here all night.” Jimmy replied as he walked over to where Rhian was stood and took another mug from the cupboard.

“Really?” she asked as she buttered her toast before cutting it into triangles.

“Well you were in bed by half past eight Hun.” Rhian replied as she grabbed the jar of instant coffee from the cupboard for Jimmy.

“Was I really? Shit. I take it you filled in Jimmy with what happened.” She said quietly.

“Yeah, sorry I kind of had to.” she replied as Andie shook her head.

“No, its fine, I kinda guessed you would.” She replied.

“Any idea what you’re going to do yet?” Jimmy asked as he sat down opposite her.

“All I know is that I don’t think I can live there anymore.” She began quietly. “I can’t leave the job; I’ve grown more attached to these kids that any of the others I’ve looked after in the past ten years. But I can’t live there anymore; I need to get out of there as soon as I can. Before the baby’s born.”

Rhian nodded, shooting a sideways glance at Jimmy who also nodded. “Okay, I had a funny feeling you were going to say that.” She began. “And I talked about it with Jimmy last night, and I’m not saying it’s ideal, but there’s two rooms here not going to use, one of which can be turned into a nursery.”

“You mean move in here? Rhi, no, I couldn’t do that to you. If it was just me I wouldn’t say so much but in a few months there’ll be Abigail to think about as well. Do you really want a screaming baby keeping you up at all hours?” she replied. “Thanks for the offer Hun, but I can’t.”

“Yes you can! And don’t you think I’ve already considered that? It’s not going to be a problem.” Rhian replied with a warm smile.

Andie looked at her best friend for a moment, taking in every detail of her expression to see if she was sure about what she’d suggested.

“Are you really sure about this?” she asked.

“Would I have suggested it otherwise?” Rhian replied with a grin.

“You’re not going to regret it six months down the line after not getting a decent nights sleep for god knows how long, the house is smelling of baby sick and you’re tripping over her toys?” she asked.

“Nah, and even if I do, I’ll just chuck you out then.” Rhian teased.

“Okay, when can I move in?” she replied with a smile.

“When ever you want, well, I’ll need an hour or two to clear out your room but whenever.” She said.

“I think the sooner the better, which also means that I should head back over there. Explain stuff and pack my things.” She replied quietly.

“Okay, me and Jimmy will get started on room –“ she stopped to lightly hit Jimmy’s arm as he groaned. “And if you want we will come by to help you with your stuff.” She said with a roll of her eyes in Jimmy’s direction.

“Thanks. This means a lot to me.” Andie replied with a small smile.

“I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, that’s what friends are for right?” Rhian replied with a smile.

****
Andie took a deep breath before stepping through the front door, nervously walking through to the living room where she could hear the TV on.

“Andie! Where’ve you been? Mommy said you got upset!” Connor exclaimed excitedly as he leapt off the sofa at her appearance.

“You okay Andie?” Brian asked full of concern from where he was sat of the sofa.

“I’m fine. I stayed at Rhian’s. Is Michelle about? I need to talk to the both of you.” she replied looking up at Brian.

“Dude, go run upstairs and tell your mom Andie’s home and want to talk to her.” Brian said and Connor took off towards the stairs.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Brian asked quietly “Michelle told me what happened.”

“I’m fine. I just need to talk to the two of you.” she replied taking a seat in one of the chairs.

“Andie, you okay?” Michelle asked softly as she entered the room.

“Yeah, I’m fine, but I need to talk to you and Brian.” she replied quietly, feeling herself blush slightly.

“Sure, what’s wrong?” she asked, taking a seat next to her husband.

“Well, there’s no easy way of saying this but I think it’s for the best. I’m moving out.” she stated.

“What? Why?” Brian asked, his eyes fixed on her.

“I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, and I’m immensely grateful for all that you’ve done for me, but I can’t live here anymore. I’m feeling claustrophobic.” She explained apprehensively.

“Oh, Andie, I’m sorry, we’re both sorry. We just feel like you’re part of this family and we wanted to make things easier and more comfortable for you and Abigail.” Michelle replied.

“And as for moving to a new home, that’s something we discussed doing when we found out Michelle was pregnant with Ella.” Brian said. “It was always on the cards, it just made a lot more sense to do it now to give us all more room.”

“And you’ll still be welcome to move in to the new house in the New Year…but only if you want to.” Michelle added.

“No, thanks but um, I’m going to be living with Rhian. She’s got two spare rooms. Her and Jimmy are going to help me with my stuff later.” Andie replied.

“Later? You’re moving out today?” Brian asked loudly.

“I thought the sooner the better.” She replied quietly.

“But you’re not quitting as nanny though are you? I mean, I know you’re cutting your hours soon but you’re still going to be working here.” Michelle asked with a hint of panic in her voice.

“No! no, I’m still going to work for you guys, I couldn’t leave the kids completely.” She replied. “I’m sorry.” She added quietly as she stood up.

“So are we.” Michelle replied with a small smile as she too stood up from the sofa. “And don’t worry about packing; Brian will help you with the heavy stuff.”
Andie nodded before heading towards the stairs, Brian following close behind.

“I’m going to miss you Andie.” He said as he followed her into her room, closing the door behind them.

“I’ve got to do this Bri, I can’t go on living under the same roof as you.” she replied quietly.

“I know, and I’m sorry, I haven’t made things easy for you have I?” he replied with Andie shaking her head in reply. “I wish things could be different.” He said their eyes locked on each other.

“Me too Bri, me too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, thanks to anyone who's reading this, and to those who comment :)
More are always welcome.... :)