Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 24

With her hand resting gently on the top of her large swollen stomach, Andie slowly made her way down stairs to the living room, surprised to find Rhian already sat on the sofa with a mug of coffee as she watched The Goonies.

“Okay, so I’ve got a small child thinking my bladder is a football as an excuse as to why I’m up early. What’s yours?” she asked with a yawn.

“It’s Christmas.” She replied simply as if that was a sufficient enough answer. She looked up and rolled her eyes at the blank expression on her best friends face. “I’ve never been able to sleep on Christmas Eve, ever since I was a kid. I’ve been up since half six.”

“You really are just a big fucking kid aren’t you?” Andie chuckled as she sat down next to her, reaching up to take the mug of coffee away from.

“Hey, you’re not allowed that!” she protested as Andie took a sip.

“Okay, relax; I was only having a sip! That is allowed you know!” she replied passing the mug back. “And besides I need a little bit of a caffeine boost to help me get through today.”

“You know you can still always come to my mom’s with me and Jimmy if you can’t handle being with Brian.” Rhian said as Andie let out an exasperated sigh.

“I know, but I’ve promised Connor now anyway.” She replied. “And anyway, you only want me there for moral support just in case she doesn’t like Jimmy!”

“Hey, now that’s not true!” she protested as Andie raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Okay, so maybe a little bit, but you know we’d all love to have you there anyway.”

“I know, and thanks for the offer, but I can’t let Connor down now can I?” Rhian nodded with a smile and took another sip of her coffee.

“So what time are you heading over there?” she asked.

“Brian’s coming over at about one I think. How about you? When are you heading over to your moms?” she replied.

“Jimmy’s getting here for about eleven and then we’re heading over there.” she explained.

“Cool. I’m going to grab something to eat before I go get ready. Do you want anything?” Andie replied pushing herself up off the sofa.

“Nah, I’m good thanks.” She replied as Andie waddled out to the kitchen.

As child Andie had loved everything about Christmas and as she had gotten older most of that had remained. She still loved putting up all the decorations, baking cookies in the shape of Christmas trees, Rudolphs and Santas. And despite not really enjoying the shopping for gifts, she always loved spending time wrapping everything up, placing a neat little bow on each gift and writing and sending out cards. Then on Christmas day itself she always loved watching the faces of those opening their gifts, especially the children, because in her eyes that’s what it was all about. The children.

And that’s what she kept running through her mind as she got ready. She was doing this for Connor and Ella who would both be devastated if she didn’t turn up. And if she was being honest with herself she was looking forward to seeing their faces as they opened their gifts.
She was thankful, for the most part, that over the past couple of weeks Brian had started to make her life easier when she was around him. He had taken a step back, making it clear that he would always be there for her and Abigail, but choosing to focus his attention more on his marriage and his other two children.

As she slipped her feet into her pumps she sighed as her cell phone rang on her night stand. She walked across the room to retrieve it, knowing that it was likely to be Brian.

“I’m outside if you’re ready.” His voice floated through the phone.

“Yeah, I’ll be down as quick as I can.” She replied already making her way out of the bedroom and towards the stairs.

“Merry Christmas.” He said as she got into the car.

“Merry Christmas Brian.” she replied with a smile.

“How’s my baby girl this morning?” he asked quietly, his hand reaching attentively across to rest on her stomach.

“She’s been pretty quiet really. Well since she woke me up anyway.” She replied a smile spreading across her face as Abigail gave a kick.

“Merry Christmas to you too baby girl.” He replied giving Andie’s stomach a small rub before removing his hand.

“You know Connor has stopped anyone opening their presents until you get there.” Brian said after a moment of silence.

“Really? Oh god I’m sorry.” She replied with a chuckle.

“Don’t worry about it, at least Ella isn’t old enough to know any different.” He chuckled as he turned into his driveway.

Andie inhaled deeply as she entered the house ahead of Brian, the smell of a freshly cooked Christmas dinner filling her nostrils.

“Happy Christmas Andie!” Connor yelled, bounding over to greet her, wrapping his arms around her, his head colliding with her bump.

“Careful dude, you just head butted Abigail there.” Brian warned gently with a chuckle.

“Sorry Abi.” Connor replied running his small hand over Andie’s stomach.

“It’s okay sweetie.” Andie replied with a smile.

“Merry Christmas Andie, how are you feeling?” Michelle asked appearing in the archway between the kitchen and living room.

“Merry Christmas, I’m fine thanks, a little tired.” She replied with a smile.

“Well, I hope you’re hungry. I think I may have gone overboard with the dinner.” She replied.

“Yeah, she seems to think that she’s feeding the five thousand.” Brian replied with a smirk.

“Actually, I’m kinda starving.” Andie admitted.

“Great! Dinner will be served in five minutes, Andie come and take a seat at the table. Brian, come and help me.” she replied sternly.

“But mom, Andie’s here now, we can open presents!” Connor whined.

“I know, but I did warn you that we’d be having dinner almost as soon as Andie got here, and that meant that you’d have to wait until after dinner for your presents.” Michelle replied, earning a pout from Connor.

“Hey, come on, you’re sitting next to me right?” Andie whispered, taking a hold of his hand as he quickly began to smile again.

After dinner and dessert, everyone retreated to the living room feeling as stuffed as what the turkey had been and started opening their presents. Andie had watched with a smile on her face as Connor had opened each of his presents with great care and then insisted that he helped Ella with hers as she was “too little to do it herself.”

A somewhat saddened smile appeared on her lips as she watched Brian present Michelle with a neatly wrapped box before she opened it slowly.

“Oh Brian, it’s beautiful.” She breathed quietly as she took the bracelet out of the box. “And it goes perfectly with the necklace I’ve got.”

“I’m glad you like it.” He replied, leaning across to peck her lips briefly.

“It really is beautiful, thank you.” she replied placing it around her wrist. As she fastened the clasp Andie caught Brian’s eye as he looked over at her and winked, mouthing “thank you” quickly. She nodded quickly with a smile before turning her attention back to Connor who was sat on the floor playing with one of the large floor puzzles he’d received.

“Connor, would you like to give this to Andie?” Michelle said, pulling both Connor and Andie’s attention away from the puzzle. Connor jumped up and took the small gift off his mother.

“It’s just a little something to show our appreciation for what you’ve done for our family over this past year or so. We would have been lost without you and you’re going to be greatly missed over these next couple of months when you’re off with Abigail.” Michelle explained as Andie took the slim gift box off Connor.

“Guys, there’s really no need, you’ve done enough for me already.” She replied opening it up slowly.

“We thought that after Abigail’s born you could do with a day of pampering.” Michelle replied as Andie looked down at the gift voucher for a full day of treatments at Haven of Wellness.

“Thank you both so much.” She replied in a whisper, concentrating on holding back tears. Michelle had done it again. She was being too nice to her, making her feel even guiltier for what had happened.

After spending another couple of hours with Connor and Ella she said her good byes to them and asked Brian if he could drive her back home. She was silent the entire drive, playing with a loose thread on her top. It wasn’t until Brian cleared his throat that she realised he’d pulled up outside her house.

“Thanks for a lovely day. Merry Christmas Brian.” she said quickly as she gathered her things and made to get out of the car.

“Andie, wait a second.” Brian blurted out, placing a hand on her arm. She stopped and turned to face him.

“I got you this.” he replied quietly placing a small gift wrapped box in her lap.

“Brian why?” she asked staring at the shiny purple package.

“Because I’ve put you through so much crap these past couple of months, and because I saw the way you looking at it when you were helping me pick out Michelle’s gift.” He said as she continued to stare at the gift.

“And because that no matter how hard I’ve tried to deny the fact over the past couple of months, I can’t deny it any longer. I’m falling for you Andie.” He added, causing her heart to skip a beat at the sound of his words. She lifted her head to look at him, only to have her lips captured by his. She kissed him back briefly before pulling away.

“No Brian, you can’t. You can’t be falling for me, you’re married with kids! And I can’t accept this neither.” She yelled throwing the gift back at him and getting out of the car. She heard him call her name as she let herself into the house but ignored him, slapping the door behind her.

“Fuck!” she yelled resting her head against the door, her eyes closed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait for this, but I've been busy writing some one shots and planning out my stories.
Anyway, this story is coming to an end with only one chapter left! But don't worry there is a sequel which I currently have 17 chapters fully planned out for!
Thanks as always for commenting, subscribing or even just reading this. Keep up the good work :)

Andie