Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 5

Andrea stood outside the school, gently rocking Ella’s pushchair back and forth as she waited for school to end. She heard the bell ring to signal the end of the school day and waited for the children to flood out through the large doors at the front of the school. A smile crept across her lips as she spotted Connor walking slowly with Lennon, Matt and Val’s son. They were talking excitedly about something, using their hands to exaggerate what they were talking about.

“…and they eat mice and stuff like that.” Lennon concluded as they reached Andrea.

“Hey Andie.” Connor greeted with a smile.

“Hey, Lennon did Miss Harrison tell you that I’m picking you up today?” she asked looking down at the mini version of Matt.

“Yeah.” He replied with a smile showing his adorable dimples.

“Ok, your mom asked me to take you to the studio to see your dad, so are you ready for a long walk?” she asked.

“We can go through the park right?” he asked.

“Yeah, of course, come on, so what eats mice and stuff?” she asked as they began their walk across Huntington to the studio where the band was working on their new album.

“Snakes.” Connor replied excitedly, his eyes widening as he began to tell Andrea all about their lesson.

“Squirts!” Jimmy yelled as he saw Andrea and the children approach the studio from where he was sat outside on his own.

“Uncle Jimmy!” both Connor and Lennon yelled as they took off running with large smiles on their faces.

“You ok Jim? How come you’re out here on your own?” Andrea asked as he picked up both boys in his arms.

“Just thinking, it’s hard to concentrate on anything with Gates working on a solo.” He replied with a smile as he turned to walk back into the building. As they entered the studio they were met by the sound of a guitar being played.

“Fuck!” Brian screamed with annoyance.

“Oi, Gates! Language!” Jimmy yelled, setting the two boys down on the ground.
Brian looked around from where he was sat, his eyes growing wide as he realised the boys must have heard his cussing.

“You never heard that ok?” he said as Connor ran over to him and Lennon made his way to Matt.

“Ok daddy.” He replied as Brian picked him up after setting his guitar down. A small cry caught Andrea’s attention and she looked down to see that Ella had woken up. She bent down to take her out of the pushchair, resting her on her hip and placing a soft kiss on the top on her head. Ella looked up at her and smiled happily.

“Ok, Gates, do you want to get this last solo done, then you’re done for the day?” the guy sat beside Brian asked.

“Yeah sure, listen little dude, why don’t you, Andrea and Ella go sit on that sofa over there while I get this done.” He said with a smile as his gaze flitted up to meet Andrea’s.

“Cool!” Connor exclaimed jumping off his father’s lap and bounded over to the sofa. Andrea followed and sat down next to Connor, placing Ella on her lap.

She watched silently as Brian picked up his guitar again and effortlessly began to play the solo he’d been working on. She became totally mesmerised as she watched, his fingers gliding over the strings.

“Makes it all look so easy doesn’t he?” she wasn’t even aware that Matt had sat down next to her.

“Huh? Oh yeah, effortless.” She said quietly as her eyes drifted back to Brian, trying hard not to think about what those fingers had done to her, the feel of them on her body, they way they ran over…she bit down on her bottom lip and gently shook her head to rid her mind of the images that would no doubt cause an involuntary moan to escape her lips.

“So, Brian mentioned that it’s your birthday on the weekend.” Matt said a welcome distraction from her thoughts.

“Yeah, it is.” She replied with half a smile.

“Got anything planned?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Not really, probably I’ll just end up having a few drinks with my friend Rhian.” She replied.

“What? No, that doesn’t sound right.” Matt protested.

“What doesn’t sound right?” Zack asked just as the guitar playing stopped and Brian gave out a small cheer.

“It’s Andrea’s birthday on the weekend and all she’s going to do is ‘have a few drinks’” Matt replied, air-quoting Andrea’s words.

“No, we can’t allow that.” Zack replied shaking his head.

“Leave it with me guys, I’ll sort something.” Brian replied with his trademark smirk firmly in place.

Andrea looked up at him and opened her mouth to protest but shut it again quickly, knowing that it would be a waste of breath.

“Can we go now daddy?” Connor asked eagerly. “I want Andrea to read another chapter of James and the Giant Peach before dinner.” A couple of the guys chuckled as Brian smiled at his son and nodded his head.

“See you guys in the morning.” Brian said as Connor bounded off the sofa and over to his father’s arms. They exchanged their goodbyes and headed out of the studio to Brian’s escalade.

Andrea happily listened to Connor tell her about his day in work as they sat eating their dinner of meatballs and spaghetti, oblivious to the conversation Michelle and Brian were engaged in.

“Oh no, I agree, we can’t have that, I think it’s the perfect excuse for a party.” Michelle said as Andrea fed a spoonful of food into Ella’s mouth.

“How about it Andie?” Michelle said grabbing her attention away from Connor’s story of how one of his classmates stuck a piece of purple tissue paper up his nose.

“Hmm? Sorry, what was that?” she replied turning her gaze between Brian and Michelle.

“A party here, Saturday to celebrate your birthday.” Michelle said with a smile.

“Oh, no, there’s no need, really I’m hap-“

“Nonsense, of course there’s a need. And Brian and I haven’t had a proper party here for months.” Michelle replied sternly.

“A party? Cool, can we play pass the parcel?” Connor asked excitedly. The three adults exchanged a quiet look before Brian turned to his son to explain.

“Sorry dude, it’s going to be a grown ups party, you and Ella will be going over to Grandma’s.” he began, Connor’s face falling with disappointment.

“Oh, but I want to come to Andie’s party. She’s my friend too.” he whined, shattering Andrea’s heart as she placed another spoonful of food into Ella’s waiting mouth.

“Couldn’t I have two parties? One with Connor and Ella and then one with the grown ups?” she asked turning pleadingly to Brian and Michelle. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Connor raise his head hopefully, watching his parents reaction.

“I don’t see why not, if that’s what you want to do.” Michelle replied with a nod.

“To be honest, I’d probably be happier with just the kids.” She replied hopefully.

“Oh no, you’re not getting out of our party that easily!” Brian exclaimed shaking his finger at her.

“We are all getting wasted Saturday night, I think we deserve it.” Michelle added with a smirk. Andrea smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Ok so I’ll have a tea party in the afternoon with Connor and Ella and then another party in the night with the adults.” Andrea said watching Connor bounce happily in his seat.

“And we can play pass the parcel?” he asked repeating his question from earlier.

“Yeah of course, and musical statues if you like.” Andrea replied watching his eyes widen in delight and his smile get bigger.

“Andie?” he asked seriously.

“Yeah honey?” she questioned, taken aback by his sudden seriousness.

“Can we make a birthday cake?” he replied thoughtfully. Andrea, Brian and Michelle all chuckled at his question.

“Of course we can sweetie, how about Friday after school?” she replied.

“Awesome, we’ll do a chocolate one I think.” He replied returning his attention back to the remainder of his dinner.

“You don’t have to do this you know.” Michelle said quietly as they got on with their meal.

“I really don’t mind, I’m more than happy to have two parties.” She replied. Michelle went to open her mouth to reply but was stopped as Connor spoke.

“Can Lennon, Alisha and Macie come too?” he asked.

“I’ll ask Matt and Zack.” Brian replied but Connor shook his head.

“No, we’ve got to send them invitations.” He stated.

“Ok, how about we make invitations after we finish dinner so you can deliver them tomorrow?” Andrea offered gaining a smile off Connor as he nodded happily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its a bit short guys :(

As always, a big thanks to all of you who read, subscribe and comment on this story :)

Although I think it could do with more love than what it's currently getting :(