Status: You guys were great! Thank you! Be on the look out for my new story, Bottom of the Bottle.

The Forbidden Fruit

Chapter 4

“Mom!” I yelled downstairs.

“What?” She yelled back upstairs, “I’m on the phone!”

I groaned and rushed downstairs, “Is it with that creeper?”

“Dave? Yes, and no, he’s not a creeper.” My mother rolled her eyes.

“Anyways, can I have some money?” I asked.

“Yeah, sure, whatever, just get it from my purse.” My Mom sighed, “Sorry Dave, that was Maria.”

I casually walked over to my Mom’s purse and grabbed $60 out of it, running upstairs and grabbing my purse and keys and running back downstairs and into my car. I carefully backed out, remembering the time that I almost hit my English teacher, and turned my radio up, singing along to the music. I drove carefully to the local Babies “R” Us and hopped out, locking my car at the same time.

I figured the most practical thing that my Dad and his fiancé would need would be diapers, and I headed over to the diaper section and grabbed some newborn diapers. I was reaching for another pack and accidentally bumped into someone.

“Oh, sorry.” I laughed nervously.

“It’s alright.” The man handed me the pack I was reaching for and grabbed one for himself.

I looked up, into the one and only, Derrick Ward’s eyes.

“I keep bumping into you.” I played it off, bouncing on my foot.

“I guess so.” He laughed, grabbing another pack for himself.

“So you have a newborn?” I asked, a little heartbroken.

“Yeah, he’s four months.” Derrick smiled.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why aren’t you married then?”

“Uh, well, because frankly, his Mom is a freak.”

I laughed, “So do you have full custody of him?”

“Yeah.” He nodded proudly, “It’s pretty hard though, not having a babysitter and such.”

“Oh, I baby-sit.” I added, looking down the isle of diapers.

“Yeah?” Mr. Ward brightened, “That would be helpful for teacher days and such.”

“Yeah, let me give you my number so you can call me whenever.”

“Sure.” Derrick nodded, and I took his warm, soft hand and wrote down my number.

“Anyways, I have to go buy bottles.” I laughed, pointing towards the bottle area and made my way there.

“Ah, bottle duty.” Derrick smiled, following me.

“Yeah, I figured that there’s no harm in having too many.”

“There isn’t.” He laughed, “These are the best for newborns.”

“Thanks.” I smiled, picking up the bottles.

“So… how old is yours?” He asked, perplexed.

“Oh, it’s not here yet.” I laughed.

“When’s the due date?” He asked, even more confused, looking at my stomach.

I knotted my eyebrows, “Hmm. I think maybe April or May.”

“Oh, that’s almost perfect timing for you. Even though being pregnant at like 17 isn’t perfect at all.”

“What?” I asked, confused.

“You’re pregnant, right?” The lady picking out some bottles for her daughter turned to give me the up and down.

“Uh, no?” She turned back around.

“Oh, I thought- Well you were-”

I laughed, “It’s cool. I don’t look too fat do I?”

“No!” Derrick exclaimed, trying to reclaim himself, “It’s just that you were buying newborn things and well…”

“I get it.” I said, walking up to the cash register, “You don’t usually see people at Babies “R” Us unless they’re knocked up.” A lady who was heavily pregnant glared at me.

“That is true.” He put his things on the conveyor belt behind my things.

The sales associate rang up my items, “$43.54, please.”

I handed her my cash and turned to Derrick, “Wow, remind me to never get pregnant until I’m loaded.”

“Will do.” He laughed.

“Oh, can I have gift wrap, please?” I asked, and she nodded.

I patiently waited at the gift wrap center until the lady finished wrapping my things, which was conveniently when Mr. Ward finished paying for his things. I jogged up to him.

“Hey, so don’t forget to hit me up whenever you need me to watch him.”

“Will do, I’m sure Troy would love you.”

“See you tomorrow, bright and early!” I called, slipping into my car.

“I’ll see you, too.” He smiled at me.

-----------------------

“Ah, Maria!” Derrick smiled at me.

“Ah, Derrick!” I mocked him.

“I was wondering about that schedule thing.”

“Oh, no problem, that’s why I came in about…” I looked at the clock, “30 minutes early.”

“Right-o.” Derrick snapped his fingers, and I automatically smiled.

He was too hot, even with that newborn baby dangling from his resume.

“So I was just thinking of having you write it over here,” He smiled at me and sectioned off a part of the board, “And just make it look really… pretty.”

“Will do.” I grabbed the sheet from him, walking towards the board.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, thanks for all the feed back!
7 comments this time, and I promise you'll get somehtign really juicy in the next chapter. :]