From the Ouside Through

Monty Python, Dumbass!

Emily
---
Well, I thought I couldn't go to that concert, but here I am in Jason's mom's van, on my way to Berkeley. Miraculously, we were all able to come. I guess my Grandma's birthday party was postponed until next week because of something or another, and everyone else got out of any obligations they had for this weekend. I think we're all pretty desperate right now to spend time together. Everyone's afraid we won't make the most of our last few months before we all move. We don't even all like this kind of music! I mean, you'd never guess it, but Krista is actually more in to hip-hop than punk. Well, I don't even know what music she's in to, I just know we can never agree on radio stations. Nate... he's not in to punk really, more classical music than rock, but he'll listen to whatever I put in the CD player. He's a good boyfriend like that. And he's very straightforward, that's one of the things I've always liked about him. What he gives me... Well, when I'm with him, I always feel so stable and safe. I'm resting my head on his shoulder right now. We're in the back of the car. Everyone else is having a conversation about... well, the conversation keeps changing. It started with movies, moved to TV, and recently they were talking about bubble gum... I'm not really listening. Nate's reading. He'll never admit it, but he's a real nerd at heart. I mean, everyone at school thinks he's an artist or maybe a tough guy (which I find funny seeing as he's only 5'5", exactly my height). I don't know where the tough guy rep came from, but it just never went away I guess. But really, his favorite artist is Chopin and his favorite author is Shakespeare. Right now? He's reading a collection of Edgar Allen Poe poems. I gave it to him two days ago for his birthday. Times like this make me feel like nothing else really matters. No unexpected obstacles will be unconquerable, and I like that feeling.
---
Nathan
---
I'm liking this book, I really am. I'm not usually in to stuff quite this dark, but Em knew that, and she promised that if there was even one poem in here that freaked me out too much, she'd get me a new book. I really care about Em. She's special to me. She listens, she appreciates honesty, she's a sweet girl, and she's always there for me. And she's got that spark in her. I mean, when she's happy, she lets you know. That smile on her face... Okay, I need to stop myself before I start gushing. We're that sappy couple. Everyone knows a sappy couple. Yeah, we're them.
---
Jason
---
"So, you seriously think that Bill and Ted is better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail?"
"No, I just said they're different and can't be compared. Completely different categories of comedy", I replied. Jane and I are in the middle of a heated discussion. And she knows she has the advantage, seeing as I'm trying to concentrate on driving.
"No, that's not what you said. When I asked you which was better, you just said, 'Weeellll...', implying that you had an answer that might not make sense."
"Wait... what?"
"Exactly."
"Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Jason", Andrew chipped in. And god am I glad for his help, Jane can be a bit intimidating in an argument.
"Can we all just agree that they're both classics?"
"Lynn has a good idea," I said. Really, they're all just giving me a headache.
"Oh please, Bill and Ted is simple humor compared to Holy Grail. You're all children. Besides, The Life of Brian is better than both of them," Krista said, trying to outdo me and Jane. Well, at least that's what I think she's trying to do...
"Lynn, what do you think?" Sometimes she can get so quiet. I worry that she'll just drop out of the conversation. I always try to remember to ask for her thoughts, but sometimes I just get so engrossed in the conversation that I loose track of who I'm talking with...
"Me? I don't know... they're all masterpieces, really."
"Yeah, but tell us what your favorite comedy is," I prompted her.
"Well, I've always had a certain fondness for The Blues Brothers... I watched it with my dad back in middle school, and I guess it was just love at first viewing."
"Oh, damn, I love that movie. Old school 80's comedies are the best." I agree with her, I'd forgotten about that movie. God, I wish I'd brought that DVD... I should ask Amy if she has it...
---
Andrew
---
Sitting here, talking and laughing and arguing with my friends... this is how summer's supposed to be. And what a way to start it off... and we have to thank Amy for making this possible. I think the first time I met Amy was in 6th grade. At the time, she kinda intimidated me. But, by 8th grade I'd developed a crush on her. She's always thought it was cute. I've always thought it was embarassing. Luckily, none of my high school girlfriends ever found out. How did a geeky guy like me ever got a girlfriend? I'm still pondering that question. I've never minded being a geek, mostly because I've got so many close friends. I mean, we've all known each other since 4th grade! Well, most of us. I knew Nate before that, and Lynn before him even. We're a mixed group, but that's what I like about us. We all know everything about each other, we're all always here for one another, and we can never stay mad at each other for long. We're tight, as Krista would say. I like it this way.
---
Lynn
---
Andrew looks preoccupied, but he's still in the conversation at least. I can't say the same for Nate and Emily. They're just sitting in back together, cuddling. I think Nate might be reading a book... they're a cute couple. Right now we're all talking about comedies. I love me some old school 80's movies. New stuff is good too, I like a good dose of Jackass just like anyone else, but I just can't resist classics like...
"Bill and Ted!"
Jason's yelling his opinion again. Yeah, classics like Bill and Ted. Oh god, and now Jane's arguing with him... those two can go for hours given the right circumstances. I'm bored. I wish I had my guitar... but I guess it wouldn't do me any good in a car full to the brim with teenagers. She might even, god forbid, get broken if I brought her... Her name is Jacob. Yes, I know Jacob is a boy's name, but that's her name. And she's a girl. She's my pride and joy... and Jason and Jane keep interrupting my guitar-related daydreams with their argument, so I guess I'll have to cut in.
"Can we all just agree that they're both classics?"
Aaaah... that's better... you know, I still wish I had Jacob... she's like my comfort blanket. Some kids have stuffed animals, I have a guitar. I don't sleep with her, though. No no. I keep her safe in her case, which stays safe in my closet. Unless I'm practicing, of course.
And now Jacob's... trying to draw me in to the conversation? That's so sweet when he does that.
---
Krista
---
Good times, good times. But everyone should know that The Life of Brian beats all. The parents are out of town this weekend, so it's all good. This way, I don't have to worry about checking in every motherfucking moment, like Lynn always does. It seems like that girl always has to call her parents to tell them where she's going, who she's going with, and when she'll be back. Sometimes it seems like that's the only time she'll talk all night! But I know the girl well enough to know she's just quiet. She likes to observe. Emily likes to observe too, but in more of a calculating way. Not like she's manipulating or anything, she just likes to know what's going on, you know? See, I may talk a lot, but I still notice things. Well, I hope I do after knowing all these guys for so long... I'm worried about Andrew. Mostly because he's worried about himself. He's a really intelligent guy, and he's got a great personality. I only wish he wouldn't be so goddamn scared all the time. We were talking the other day, before graduation, and he just sounded kinda apprehensive about moving away. I can see why, but I just wish he'd enjoy himself a bit more sometimes.
---
Jane
---
"Dumbass! You KNOW I'm right."
See, I like to argue playfully. I think it annoys Lynn sometimes, but it's just so much fun! I'm not a "dispute monger" (is that even a phrase?) or anything, I just like to compare points of view. Loudly. And I try to make sure I don't do it for the whole car ride. Sometimes it's even fun to pick a side I know can't win and just see how long I can argue it credibly. So maybe I enjoy this a little too much... everyone's got their quirks, right?