‹ Prequel: Deadly Kiss
Sequel: You're Overdue
Status: Complete. Sequel is up.

Holding My Heart

22 Don't Be So Sensitive

************
Ann’s POV

I could see the snow, the frigid, soggy, pearl white snow. It was coating the trees and the houses. There had to be at least a foot of snow. It was even still snowing on top of it. The pine trees had their branches stretching to the ground and underneath them were harboring ground with pine needles scattered.

The house was old. No, ancient. It had thick glass windows and an old oak door. The roof was made of god only knows what. It wasn’t like the house I had seen in Brendon’s memories but it was similar.

I was hoping if I focused on enough of the past idea maybe they would just show me those. I didn’t want to Gerard’s life story. William’s was bad enough. All those people he fed off of.

The door opened and out game Gerard in very old clothes. He looked cold. He was in a wool coat and some pants out of another fabric. He shoes had to be made of old leather. He was leaning against the doorway and his arms were folded. He was waiting for someone or something.

I could see a figure coming across the snow. It was the old Ann with her brother. He was dragging something behind him and Ann was carrying something. She stumbled and managed to catch herself. Gerard noticed and quickly started walking up to them. The snow wasn’t making it easy.

“Ann? Jonathan? What are you doing-” Gerard stopped in his tracks when he saw Jonathan dragging a pile of logs.

Ann stopped and tried to catch her breath, “The storm is too strong. We were forced to turn back. Now the storm is heading this way. Jonathan thought it would be a good idea to come back. He got firewood to help you stay warm and was hoping for you to let us stay longer.”

“Come inside then! Time to get out of this cold air.”

“Where do you want the wood we collected? I figured you would need it with us around.”

“Around back. Do you need help? I know that wound is still tender.”

“No, I can do it. Please help Ann inside. She still hasn’t recovered herself.”

Gerard nodded and reached for Ann. She looked like she didn’t want to go with him. She looked at her brother and then back to Gerard. There was honest fear in her eyes. He came closer and took the bag in her hands and grabbed her arm, “Come child. Come inside where warm rests.”

Her cheeks were red and not because of the cold air. She followed him in and he closed the door. She stood in the middle of the small house and watched Gerard. He placed the bag on the table and opened it.

He turned to her, “Ah. You did not use the supplies I gave you?”

“No sir. We had no need for it.”

“Ann, please stop calling me sir. Yes, I am your doctor but I can not handle sounding so old. Gerard. Just call me Gerard.”

She nodded and looked away. It was obvious she had a crush on him. I wasn’t expecting him to be a doctor though. It was on the creep factor as well. Who knows what he’s done to this Ann as “doctor.”

He turned to her, “My, you are soaked child. Are you cold?”

“Yes s-” She paused as she nodded, “Gerard.”

He walked over to her and she looked up at him innocently. She started to undo the buttons of her coat. When she finished his hands found her shoulders. He slipped it down off her shoulders and grabbed it from her. He went over to his fireplace. The coat was placed on a metal rod near the fire. He had a pot in the fireplace above the warm flames.

He turned to her and she removed her shoes. She walked up to him and placed them on the floor. He turned to her and just looked at her. She placed her hands near the fire and started to rub them.

“Are you cold?”

She spoke softly, “A little.”

Gerard walked away and soon returned with a blanket. He wrapped it around Ann and forced her to look at him. She was facing him and was still beat red in the face. He leaned down and kissed her forehead. Slowly he moved to her lips and she responded.

While I on the sidelines gagged.

He pulled away, “You are so beautiful.”

“Mister Way is always a charmer is he not?”

He smiled, “Hush now. We will speak of this later. Sit by the fire and warm yourself. I am going to help your brother.”

After that the scene changed. It was to a current setting and Gerard was sitting alone on a chair. He was looking at me as if I was actually there. He was in a simple tee and a pair of jeans. He smiled at me and waved his index finger back and forth at me.

“Your road ends here babe. A prowler is not allowed in unless I allow them willingly. Don’t get me wrong, I love you but you simply can’t see how the past was. I mean I would love to tell you but you won’t believe me anyways. Now get out!”

When he yelled his last words I was forced from any thought and brought back to reality to the guys in front of me. I felt like I was slammed against a wall. I caught my breath and Patrick and Pete looked at me with concern.

“Ann? You ok?”

“No.”

Patrick was kneeling near me, “What happened?”

“He knew. The bastard knew I would go for the memories.”

Patrick patted my knee, “Its ok. We’ll find another way.”

I felt my stomach rumble and I felt bile rise. I pushed away Patrick’s hand and I jumped up. I ran to their bathroom and shut the door. I got on my knees and I felt my stomach heave. I started to spit up Gerard’s blood. I think it was because Brendon had marked me. So I instantly was rejecting it.

Come on. Show me. Show me something. Just one thing so I know why.

I closed my eyes and it flashed back to Gerard, “Well, you are one persistent bitch. I wish the Ann back then was like you. It would have made life more entertaining.”

I found a voice, “Why are you doing this?”

“You’re the one trying to invade me sugar.”

“No. Why did you take Brendon from me? Grudge? Vengeance?”

He laughed, “Oh wow. Now you accuse me of being a bad man?”

I had no idea where he was going with this. Obviously he was the bad person here. I mean kidnapping in any form is still a bad thing. Is it not? I tried to continue focusing on Gerard but it was hard. I was feeling my stomach near my ears almost.

He leaned forward, “I am not the bad man here. I’m doing this to save you. You’re man is a rabid animal right now. Yes, I want him to suffer but I can’t have you in the way. You distract me too much.”

“Where is he?”

“It doesn’t matter. He’ll be fine as long as he behaves.”

“Where is he?!”

He sat back, “I’m not going to tell you. It’s for your own safety.”

“Fuck my safety. Where is he?!”

“Patience is a virtue.”

I growled and the scene changed. There was Brendon. He was slamming himself into the cement walls and the wooden door. He had his fangs barred and he snarled. He slammed into the door again and clawed at it. His fingers were bloody and I think he was missing a few nails from his nail beds. He was surely acting like an animal.

“You see? I am saving you. He would rip you to shreds.”

“How do I know if that is legit or what you want to show me?”

Gerard appeared next to me in the bathroom, “That’s your choice.”

I backed away from him and he laughed, “Don’t worry. I’m all in your head. But before you get to comfy remember I created William. Meaning, you can’t reject my blood. Just thought I’d drop that idea. Though, I would think more on the topic if I was you.”

The bathroom door opened and Pete walked in and through Gerard. Gerard disappeared and Pete kneeled near me, “Are you ok?”

“You didn’t see that?”

“See what?”

“Gerard! You walked through him.”

Pete stroked my head, “Hey, its ok. He can’t touch you. He can’t even be in here. He was never invited.”

“Pete! He was there! We talked!”

He pulled me close and my head collided with his chest. He just hugged me as I continued to think. I mean if I was accepting Gerard’s blood then that meant that Brendon’s mark was pretty much invalid.

I was so screwed if Gerard wanted to turn me.

He could.

He really could.
***********
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and subscribe. It really helps me out.

Thanks to all my readers and people who comment continuously. You have no idea how greatful I am.

Thanks to: dncflrdntlvme87