‹ Prequel: Abercrombie & Bitch
Status: Active?

The Incomparable Edie Wells

Ignorance

“Cell phone?”

“Got it.”

“Money?”

“Right here.”

“Jacket?”

I roll my eyes. “Riley, it's ninety-eight degrees out there. I don't think I need one.”

She gives me a sarcastic smile and shakes her head. “Whatever. Are you still staying after the game?”

I can feel butterflies in the pit of my stomach as I think about it. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the whole thing. I mean, Levi was probably stoned or something – not that he does drugs, since he's one of those clean-cut guys who isn't into that kind of stuff – and didn't know what he was saying when he asked me to hand out. Why would he want to hang out with me?

I'm almost last on the List. I'm a junior. I'm a nobody.

I'm... Edie.

I bite my lip and nod. “Yup. Maggie and Parker said they'd stay, too.” Well, that's half-true. Maggie said she'd come, but Parker had to be bribed, threatened, and blackmailed before he reluctantly agreed.

Riley just nods. “Alright then. Tell Rhett good luck for me, will ya? He'll need it.”

No, she's not just being rude. Apparently Rhett's being scouted for collages at his games, and let's just say he's never been one for acting well under pressure. Coupled with the fact that he's been held back two grades, and he's been tutored since he was a sophomore, I'm kinda surprised they're looking at him at all.

But that doesn't mean I'm not happy for him.

I hear an impatient Maggie honk her horn outside, and I say my good-bye to Riley before bounding out of the house, adrenalin pumping through my body. I'm not sure yet if this is good or bad, but I know that it's gonna get real old, real fast, if it keeps up like this all night.

“Took you long enough!” she groans, as the backseat door opens to reveal a disturbed-looking Parker.

It's only when I realize that Max – her current boy toy – is sitting in the passenger seat with his hair messed up and looking slightly dazed, two signs that Maggie has recently attacked him. I chuckle lightly as Parker pulls me in and shuts the door, muttering under his breath.

“Do you know how long they've been at it?!” Parker hisses, eying Maggie and Max's entwined hands. He braces himself against the sides as Maggie swerves, sending me flying into him.“Margaret, for God's sake, both hands on the wheel!”

“Who are you, my mother?”

“A concerned friend who wants to make it out in one piece, thank you very much!”

Max, who looks a little nervous, sends me a confused glance.

I sit up and stick my head in between the front seats. “Don't worry, Max. They always do this.” I wince as Maggie swerves again. “Just, um, not usually while Maggie's driving. For future reference, I would avoid this situation if at all possible.”

He nods a few times, still clearly not comforted. Poor guy probably thought he was in for a normal night.

Thankfully Maggie manages to get us there alive, though a little shaken up. I'm starting to question the judgment of her driving instructor. Who else out there is driving like Maggie with a license? I shudder and shake off the thought as we enter the school's football stadium.

I really can't think of any school within ten miles that doesn't use ours as a home field. For some weird reason, Westbrook was granted a huge amount of money to build a football field, fake grass and all. Some rich kid's dad probably paid for it, but according to the school board it was a “donation”. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. The only thing we care about is that the grass doesn't die in the summer hundred-degree weather, although I haven't quite figured out why it hasn't melted yet. Another mystery for another day.

I can feel my chest tighten as I see the players warming up on the field. I can see Levi throwing the ball to some other guy I can't recognize, the large white number seven standing out stark white against his navy blue jersey. God, how could I be so stupid? Levi Smith, captain of the football team! Why would he ever like me?

“Edie?” Parker asks, a little anxious, “Are you okay?”

I sigh and shake my head slightly. “Of course. Totally fine.”

Instead of accepting my lame response, he frowns at me and steps in front of me, taking hold of my shoulders. “You sure?”

I roll my eyes. “Yes, Parker, now if you would please -”

“You're doing it again,” he mutters, almost as if he hasn't heard me. Actually, I'm pretty positive he didn't, because he always zones out when he thinks he's right about something.

I have no choice but to humor him. “Doing what?”

“Lying.” His voice is barely a whisper, and it's his tone that finally gets me to look him in the eyes. They look hurt. “Edie, you never used to lie to me before! Why are you doing this? If you're so upset about Levi, why go through with it?”

This is why Parker is one of my best friends. Although he can be irritating at times, he can tell what I'm thinking just by looking at my face. But that's exactly why I can't tell him the truth: that Levi doesn't really like me, he just wants something. Or maybe it never happened at all. Maybe I just imagined everything.

It's then that I actually manage to catch Levi's eye. He's standing at the sidelines, downing water by the gallon. He stops what he's doing, waves with his free hand, and slowly but surely, winks in my direction.

I look around me, but Parker and I are the only ones in the area; most people are already in the stands. Since I know Levi has a particular dislike for Parker, it leads me to one conclusion.

Levi Smith just winked at me.

“Because I'm gonna be popular, Park,” I say lowly, adjusting my skirt and pulling away from him. “I'm telling you. This is my year.”

-[-]-

“Oh-Em-Gee, Rhett! You did, like, so awesome tonight!” a cheerleader squeals fairly nearby.

I roll my eyes. “Because three fumbles is, like, totally amazing!”

Rhett just shoves me playfully and rolls his eyes. “Watch it, sis, or you're walking home tonight.”

“I'm walking home anyway,” I point out dryly, eying the alcohol that's been strewn everywhere in sight. If there's one thing I can count on besides Maggie's crappy driving, it's that Rhett will get himself drunk at some point tonight. And I, being the only one of my friends without even a permit, will be at the mercy of anyone sober enough to find their car.

Believe me, I have been to parties before.

Rhett rolls his eyes again and ruffles my hair, something he always does even though I've told him over and over again how much I hate it. Though I probably shouldn't talk, since I do it to Casey and Grace all the time. It sucks not being the oldest.

I glance around for Maggie, Parker, and Max, but I don't see them yet. I decided to forgo the ride over with Maggie, knowing that it would probably be like the one there. I felt bad about leaving Parker, but Rhett did offer to drive him. He'd refused, saying someone had to make sure Maggie didn't get Max killed, and we'd mutually agreed that that would be bad. Very bad.

“Edie?” I hear a familiar voice ask from behind me.

I heart nearly stops as I turn around to face a freshly-showered Levi, who's grinning like an idiot and... staring. At me. Why is he staring at me?

I smile. “Hey, Levi. Great game tonight, we couldn't have done it without you.”

He ducks his head, almost like he's embarrassed. Although I know he isn't. “Thanks. I'm really glad you could make it.” He takes a step closer, close enough that I can smell the cologne he's wearing, mixed with soap and what I think is aftershave.

I swallow hard and nod vigorously, probably looking stupid, but not really caring all that much. Levi was talking to me! Again!

As soon as I thought that, whoever was controlling the music decided to be an ass and changed it to a slow song. Within seconds, people coupled off and started sucking face, right in the middle of the room, surrounded by other couples. This is an awkward situation, being single and currently standing a little closer than necessary to the guy you've had a crush on for four years.

“You, uh...” Levi stars, then anxiously rubs the back of his neck. “You wanna dance?”

I don't think my mouth is capable of functioning right, so I nod dumbly and follow him into the crowd. I'm barely aware of the fact that his hands go around my waist, and I have no idea how my hands get to his shoulders, but I'm suddenly aware that I'm slow dancing with Levi Smith, the captain of the football team.

And he actually looks like he's enjoying it.

“This is kinda nice,” he whispers, ducking his head close to my ear and sending shivers up my spine.

“Uh-huh,” I mutter intelligently.

He grins. “You know, Edie, there's something I've been meaning to tell you, and I don't know how you're going to take it. You'll probably think I'm weird, or something, and that's okay I guess, but -”

I stare at him blankly. Well then just say it already!

He takes a deep breath. “Edie, I li-”

“Edie!” Parker calls from the other side of the room, waving furiously at me.

I look from Levi, to Parker, and then back to Levi again, trying to figure out what to do. I hate just ignoring Parker like that, but I mean... It's Levi Smith.

And I think he likes me.

What am I supposed to do?

I glance up at him. “You...?”

He shakes his head a little, like he's coming out of a trance. “I like... what you did to your hair.” He takes a piece of it and twirls it around his finger. “It looks different.”

I don't point out that I didn't do anything to it, except possibly brush it a little better than I usually did. Why ruin it?

“Uh, thanks.”

He bites his lip, looks around the room nervously, and nearly gives me a heart attack with what he says next.

“Do you want to go out with me sometime?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, please?!?!?!!?