Colder Than My Heart

High as a Kite without String

Jack slipped on his fluorescent hi-tops and sat down to do up the laces. He could feel a slight breeze brush against his right side as Alex moved past him. After noting it was him he returned his eyes to the fine strings in between his long fingers. Alex opened the refrigerator, taking out a bottle of Mountain Dew and a manufactured cup of ramen and placing them on the worktop. He glanced over at Jack with one eyebrow raised as the lankier of the two took to his feet and gave himself a once-over in a nearby mirror.

“Where are you going?” Alex asked, curiosity getting the best of him once again.

“Oh, just going to hang out with some of the Too Close guys. I think the girl’s gonna be there too,” Jack replied fixing the collar of his polo in the mirror.

“Sounds like you’ve got yourself a girlfriend,” Alex teased spinning the cap off the top of the bottle and placing it to the side.

“No way man. I hardly know her,” Jack argued before Alex got the wrong idea.

“When has that stopped you before?” Alex muttered too quiet for Jack to hear.

“However she is pretty easy on the eyes,” he added earning a smirk off his singer.

“Dude whatever. I’ve seen some girl walking around in one of these bands and let me tell you,” he began resting one hand on the worktop and using the other to emphasise his speech. “She is damn hot. I’d do her in a second,” he finished to which Jack rolled his eyes.

“You’re supposed to have a girlfriend,” he reminded pulling himself from the mirror and stepping closer to the other boy.

“What she doesn’t know won’t kill me,” Alex shrugged adding a smile as Jack shook his head.

“Whatever. I’m going. Zack and Rian are probably gonna come along at some point. Same with Travis,” he shrugged. “Wanna come along?” He asked opening the door at the front of the bus and turning back to wait for his reply.

“You know what?” Alex asked abandoning his lunch once again. “I might come along at some point. Where are you gonna be?”

“We’re gonna be at the back of the Smart Punk stage. Just come along whenever,” he smiled before stepping out of the vehicle and locking the door behind him.

Sarah pushed the lower half of her face into the scarf she was wearing as the boys moved around her. She was sat on the floor, the boys grabbing cans of beer for each other as she typed letters into her old phone.

“Oh here’s the man,” Sarah heard Blake holler. Looking up she saw him with his arm raised towards the sky. Thomas and a familiar looking boy came towards the small half circle they had created and the boy who wasn’t in the band slapped a hand against Blake’s before he took a seat next to him.

“Hey man, good to see you again,” the boy greeted as he looked around the circle. Sarah instantly recognised who he was, not which band he was in or anything of that sort but she knew he was the boy who had calmed her down a few days prior. Her cheeks burned and her eyes went wide. To hide this she dropped her face letting her bangs cover it and she continued to furiously type on the keyboard as if she were busy.

Jack had picked up on what she did and smiled to himself but thought best if he let the situation slide.

Sarah idly played with her phone but listened in on the conversation taking place around her.

“Hey it’s not as if it’s been long. We only met the other day,” Nick laughed as he took a place next to Jack.

“It’s a long time when all you’ve got for communication is Twitter,” Jack retorted as the others agreed. “I hope you don’t mind, I invited my band over to talk later when they’re all back from watching other sets,” Jack asked looking warily around the group as if seeking approval.

“Dude, don’t worry about it. It’d be awesome to meet the others,” Blake nodded. “Have you spoken to anyone else much?” He asked gesturing towards his other three band mates.

“I don’t believe I have,” Jack shook his head eyeing up each member.

“I’m Tom,” the tallest chuckled sticking his hand out towards Jack who grabbed it and pulled him into a hug. Thomas returned the hug before pulling away, both of them smiling.

“I’m Jersey,” the drummer added with a small wave before looking down at the girl tucked up next to him. “And this is Sarah,” he finished smiling between the two. Sarah lifted her face, sending Jack a shy smile as she looked around the group. The smile Jack returned touched his eyes, he was happy he’d made friends on Warped so early on in the tour, even happier about the experiences he’d already had.

“So when are you guys on today?” Jack asked absently taking one of the beers Nick had offered to him from the crate beside him.

“We’ve already played today,” Thomas shrugged taking a sip from the tall can in his hands. “We’re just waiting for the other bands to finish so we can help put the stage away,” he finished with a nod.

“Putting the stage away, those were the days,” Jack teased finally taking a look at the beverage between his fingers. “Stella? At four thirty?” He asked glancing around the group with one raised eyebrow.

“I always complain how it’s too early,” Sarah chuckled quietly finally slipping his cell phone into the pocket of her jeans and looking up fully.

“No way I’m all for it,” Jack grinned, breaking the top and putting the cool metal to his lips. Sarah for some reason felt comfortable, as if there was just another addition to the band and rolled her eyes before laughing.

“I suppose someone has to be the woman. Might as well be the one with the boobs,” Blake shrugged earning a glare and a slap to the arm he was leaning on by Sarah whilst the others chuckled.

“Alex is the woman in our band. He’s either horny or he’s a snappy bitch. I swear he has a period,” Jack rolled his eyes causing the others to laugh at his comment. As time went on Sarah was gradually becoming more and more comfortable around Jack. Travis and another member of We the kings was next to join them. Jack’s other band members Zack and Rian had arrived not long after just as Jack had informed. The sun was beginning to set and Sarah could feel her mouth growing dry.

“I think I’m gonna go get a drink back at the van. I’m not feeling too great,” she commented noting that their supply of beer was running out and she knew the guys would want more.

“I’ll walk you back. We’re running out anyway,” Jersey insisted taking to his feet which Sarah did shortly after. She flashed a smile around the group and began to walk away from the group.

Alex locked up the bus, clipping his keys to the rings of his belt before setting off in the direction Jack had told them they’d be. He whistled a soft tune to himself, as the keys chimed against each other in time with his steps. As he walked further from the buses he passed a few scattered white vans and recognised one in particular. He wondered if the girl he was determined to catch was inside or whether she was out. The lights were off so he silently debated rather than doing anything about it.

As if someone could read his mind the girl came into sight. She was walking in his direction with the same guy he’d seen her with the other day. Alex smirked to himself casually glancing up at her as she passed but she didn’t seem to notice him as she whispered to the guy at her side. Alex took advantage of the opportunity, keeping his eyes on her as she passed, well, letting his eyes drift to the lower half of her back. His smirk grew as he turned his attention back to the way he was walking. He turned one last corner and saw the group of guys all sat in a complete circle. Three familiar faces turned and smiled up at him in greeting.

“Oh hey Al. Finally decided to join us then?” Rian teased making a space between him and Jack for the singer to crouch.

“Indeed I am. And I saw that really hot girl I was talking about,” he smirked turning to look at Jack who simply rolled his eyes.

“I honestly don’t understand how you can target girls when you’re in a relationship,” he chuckled shaking his head.

“Well it works doesn’t it?” He shrugged turning towards the rest of the group who were all sniggering. He knew Travis and Drew and nodded in greeting in their direction. They returned the gesture and smiled before Alex looked around the rest of the faces. For some reason the boys looked very familiar. He knew he hadn’t spoken to them personally before but he definitely recognised some of the faces.

“Uh oh, should we lock Sarah up?” The tallest of the three boys teased with a grin on his face to show he was joking as the others all laughed.

“No honestly, I think you should,” Rian groaned causing their laughter to increase. Alex let a grin plaster across his lips as he watched each face around the circle radiating in the glow of the sun. He could tell he was going to get on with these boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,635 words. Is that too much? A lot of dialogue. Do you guys prefer that? Let me know all your opinions on my writing style, I know some of you hate it, others seem to like it. What do you think? The first part of this chapter was inspired by Wet Hot American Summer by Cobra Starship, the second part, Coffee Break by Forever the Sickest Kids. So I suppose it'd be good to listen to these songs if you wanted to re-read the chapter with them or something :)

-The Ripper