You Look Good In My Shirt

love the game, love the player

I was running. I had never missed a Sabres game in my life, ever since I started watching them. I wasn’t about to start now. And the last train out of Boston left in 5 minutes.

By the time I got to North Station, I was out of breath and had 2 more minutes left. I stood for a moment, trying to regain composure and return oxygen to my system. I put my hands on my knees before taking off again, much like a track star would.

I was in full flight, but not for long before I found myself on the ground.

I brought my hand to my forehead. It felt like I had run into a wall. “Ow,” I mumbled, feeling a little dizzy.

“I’m sorry,” a male voice said. “Are you okay?”

I looked up at the apparent cause – a man who was monstrously tall was in front of me, dressed in a nice shirt and tie. His left hand was extended towards me. I took it an dhe helped me up, no struggle or exertion exhibited whatsoever.

“Man, I’m sorry. I really should start watching where I run.” I brushed myself off before actually looking at him.

His gaze was kind, yet steely. His eyes were piercing and haunting; his expression distant, as if something else was occupying his thoughts. Out of all his features, however, his height was the one that got me the most.

“It’s no problem, I was worried for a moment. I thought you might’ve gotten a concussion.” He smiled to himself, as if he were enjoying some inside joke.

Seeing him smile made it all click.

Without his smile, his features were only striking, but with it, he was astonishingly handsome. It was subtle, yet un-ignorable.

“Nope. I’m good.”

“Good. Do you mind if I ask what the big rush was for?”

“I was trying to catch…” A horn sounded and I looked around him, seeing my train leave. “…that train,” I finished dejectedly.

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry, would you like me to…”

“Nah, it’s no biggie. Just a hockey game.”

His face brightened. “Which one?”

“Sabres at Rangers.”

“Would you like to watch it? I can get you a TV with Center Ice.” He motioned with one arm towards a door I hadn’t noticed before.

“That’d be insane.” The relief spread through my body. I wouldn’t miss the game, after all.

He took my hand, which made mine feel weak and small.

He led me through the mystery door. We went through an elaborate maze of halls, ending our trek in a room with a lot of TVs, each broadcasting a different pre-game show.

“Stay here.” He took a piece of paper off of a desk, scribbling a quick note. “If anyone asks why you are here, show them this. I’ll be back around ten for you, okay?”

I nodded in agreement.

After he left, I focused on the TV broadcasting the Sabres, settling in for a good time.

_^_^_^_

The Sabres had won, and every other game in the east had concluded. I was waiting patiently for the man to return. The clock read 9:59.

As if on queue, the man returned, looking happy and exhausted. “Did you enjoy?”

“Yeah, I owe you. Big time.”

“Well, we could go out for a quick cup of coffee if you like.” He sounded nervous as he asked.

“Of course. Let’s go.” I took his hand and let him lead me to his car.

_^_^_^_

He took me to one of the Dunkin’ Donuts in Boston. I ordered a decaf mocha latte while he ordered a vanilla chai.

We sat at an empty table and I sipped my drink, letting the warmth spread through me.

“So you like the Sabres,” he stated.

“Yup. Have since I could watch TV.”

“A loyal fan. I’m sad to say we…” His eyes bugged out for a moment before he began stuttering. “I mean… the Bruins. Yes. I’m sad to say the Bruins don’t have many.”

Cogs started moving in my head. I sat, pensive for a moment, when a little light went off.

“Well, you know, I like some of them. I like Hnidy, Krejci, Axelsson,” I began listing. I honestly did like those guys. “Oh, and of course, Chara. He’s a beast.”

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. “How so?”

“You can’t win one-on-one battles with him. You bounce off the guy. He’s huge. He can hold his own in a fight, and he’s not afraid to be physical and stick up for his teammates.” I took another sip before adding, “and any guy who likes vanilla chai is okay in my books.”

His face turned red as he realized I had figured out his secret.

“But…”

“Rachel,” I helped.

“But Rachel, I…”

“Don’t feel bad you didn’t tell me. I like a good mystery.”

“Rachel, they boo me in Buffalo.”

“Because we want you on the Sabres. Like I said, you’re a beast. We’re jealous.”

We finished our drinks and walked back out into the frigid night air. A shiver ripped through me, seeing as I wasn’t wearing a jacket. Zdeno noticed and ran us to his car, putting the heat on full blast.

“You can’t wait at North Station like this. I am taking you home.”

“I live in Newburyport. No way are you driving all that way.”

“Not your house. Mine.”

My jaw dropped as he started driving. I was about to protest, but he put a finger to my lips.

“I’m not budging.”

_^_^_^_

“Thanks, Zdeno,” I said, wearing a shirt of his. It was huge on me, functioning more like a dress and less like a shirt.

“No problem.” He looked me up and down and laughed. “You look good in my shirt.”

“Thank you, I guess.” I walked out to the living room, climbing underneath the blankets on the couch. I fell into a dreamless sleep easily, but not for long.

A large thud woke me up, followed by a sharp pain in my head.

“Ow,” I groaned.

Heavy footsteps made the floor beneath me shake.

“Rachel,” Zdeno called groggily. “Are you okay?”

“I don’t know. I think I fell off the couch.”

Next thing I knew, I was in the air. My arms instinctively flew up, securing themselves around his neck.

“What are you doing?”

“Taking you someplace you can’t get hurt.”

He walked quickly down the hall, back into his room, placing me in his bed before getting in himself.

“Um…”

“Don’t worry. If you want, I can…” As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I saw him motion towards the door.

“No!” My faced turned red as I realized how he could interpret that. “I don’t wanna oust you.” He got comfortable and I did the same.

“Thanks.”

“Any time.”

_^_^_^_

I woke up in an empty bed. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and sat up, searching for Zdeno. Once I comprehended he wasn’t in this room, I headed out into the kitchen. He was at the table, looking at a half-folded newspaper. He looked up when I yawned, smiling.

“Would you mind if I said something bold?”

“Shoot.”

“What I am seeing, I sure would love seeing every morning from now on.”

“I can make that happen,” I said with a devious grin.

I walked up and hugged him. He rested his head on mine before saying, “maybe it’s a little too early to know if this is going to work. But all I know is you’re sure looking good in my shirt.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Big love for Big Z.