Heaven-Sent.

The Fifth Time.

Frank smiles as the car just flies past the green trees on both sides of the small country road. The window is open just a fraction of an inch, letting just enough fresh air, and somehow it seems to be much better than the car's currently broken air conditioning ever was. The sun is shining, its bright rays of light peeking in through the branches and leaves on the trees, making it a perfect summer day. The road is completely empty except for their car, and it's been like that for the last few hours, almost ever since they left the cabin they have stayed in for the last week.

He throws a quick glance over at Mikey in the driver's seat, his beautiful hazel eyes fixed on the road and occasionally the rear-view mirror, and his hands on the wheel where his fingers gently tapped a rhythm unknown to Frank. Frank reaches out and places his hand on top of one of Mikey's, lacing them together. Mikey takes his eyes off of the road for one second and smiles at Frank.

"You wanna take a break soon?" Frank asks as they pass a small sign that indicates a rest stop a mile down the road. "Let's just eat something, and then I can drive for a while." Mikey nods at the suggestion, and a minute later, pulls up in what's nothing more than a clearing in the trees. There's an old wooden picnic table, but it's mostly covered in moss and cobwebs, so they pull out a blanket and settle down to eat on the grass. It's only the sandwiches they made in the cabin earlier, but as always, just eating outside makes it taste heavenly.

Once he's finished eating, Frank lies down with his head on Mikey's lap, smiling up at him before yawning and closing his eyes. He feels Mikey's hands twirling in his hair and touching his face, caressing his jaw without minding the stubble that usually annoyed Mikey to no end. Whenever Frank neglected his shaving products, Mikey will nag him about it because 'it feels itchy,' and Frank will give in after teasing Mikey about being jealous because the only facial hair he can grow was sideburns.

He smiles again as Mikey slides his thumb along his lips, before kissing it lightly. He could fall asleep right then and there, feeling so content and happy. He has never been more in love than he is right now, than he has been ever since his and Mikey's wedding one year ago. Every day that he gets to wake up next to Mikey is a blessing, and every smile and kiss they share are memories for life. He always knew that they were meant to be, and he's happy that he never gave up on getting them back together after their yearlong breakup.

"It's really nice out here," he sighs, opening his eyes to watch Mikey. Mikey's looking out at their surroundings, towards what seems to be the old wooden table, and then he looks down at Frank. "We should come back here next year, to the lake." Mikey nods before leaning down and kissing Frank briefly.

Their week by the lake had been amazing, a lot more so than Frank had expected when Mikey first suggested it, explaining that him and his parents had used to go there when he was really little. Frank let himself be persuaded, though, and once they arrived there after five hours of driving, he was not disappointed at all. It was a beautiful place, very secluded and private as the other cabins were spread out all around the lake with a mile separating each one.

The water was crystal clear and there was a small beach with soft sand, where they more than once had made love in the sunset. The first night was the best. Mikey talked Frank into skinny dipping with him after they had had dinner up in their cabin, and once they were naked and in the lake with water dripping from their hair and down their chests, they couldn't keep their hands off of each other. They kissed slowly and made their way back to the beach and, with sand clinging to their hair and skin, it was the best sex they ever had.

In a way, it's even better than their honeymoon, which they spent in Hawaii. Hawaii was amazing and beautiful too, and they did spend every minute of that week together, but here they could escape everybody else. There were no people around to bother them, and they were far enough from the closest civilization that their phones wouldn't work. It was heaven on earth, or something very close to it, Frank thinks.

"It was even more beautiful than I remember from when I was a kid," Mikey says thoughtfully, staring off into space again. "I suppose it could be because I wasn't hiding from zombies this time, though, or because you're here." Mikey smiles and Frank laughs, remembering the first times Mikey had told him about the lake and how he used to play zombie invasion games.

"We should have a kid, a baby, and then we could take him to the lake and play zombie invasion with him," Frank says with a wide grin on his face. "We could teach him how to swim, and build sandcastles, and read comics and play the guitar." He sighs dreamily at the nice images he's creating in his mind, before sitting up suddenly, turning to face Mikey and shuffling closer.

"I really do want us to have a baby, Mikey. A family." Mikey leans in to kiss him softly, identical wide grins on both of their faces. "Me, you, a baby and a dog. No, two dogs, a hamster and a cat. And a goldfish," Frank concludes with a proud smile as Mikey laughs softly and kisses him again, keeping him close by attaching his hand to Frank's dark locks of hair. "I love you," he mumbles against Mikey's lips.

"You too," Mikey sighs as they break away from the kiss again, and Frank leans his head on his husband's shoulder. Being with Mikey like this is always so easy and so comfortable. There are never any awkward silences or any weird moments, because they seem to always want the same thing at the same time. The only time it has ever been strange to be around Mikey was during the months before they got back together officially. Then, he had not known where he had Mikey, but he knows now when he's looking back, that Mikey didn't know where he had himself either.

Mikey had moved on from that, though, and Frank had realized that if he really wanted to be with Mikey he needed to let go of that thing Mikey wouldn't tell him. Getting back up on their feet, after having been tossed on the floor for a year, wasn't even that difficult once they both put time and effort into it, and it was almost as if they had never broken up.

"We should get going again," Mikey says after a few minutes, and Frank nods before getting up. They pack the rests of their meal down as there is not even a garbage bin anywhere near them at the so called rest stop, and put it back in the trunk along with the blanket. Just as Frank is closing the trunk, he feels Mikey's familiar arms wrap around him from behind, and he leans into the embrace, shivering slightly as Mikey kisses his neck.

"You know what I suggest we do when we get home?" Mikey whispers against his skin, and Frank's hands move up to hook around Mikey's arms that are crossed over Frank's chest. He shakes his head, turning it slightly to his side to place a kiss as close to Mikey's mouth as he can reach, which turns out to be his chin. "Practice." Mikey's grip loosens a bit and Frank turns around so he's facing Mikey, and his arms come up to wrap around Mikey's neck. "If we're gonna have a baby, we need to start practicing so we can make one."

Frank laughs, leaning in to kiss Mikey. "Yeah, of course. And then we have to figure out how to get you pregnant." Laughing, they kiss again, and for what seems like forever, they just stand there in each other's arms. There's not a human soul around, and they feel free to do whatever they like, just as much as they want to, and it's almost like when they first got together over five years ago. During the first months of their relationship, they rarely did things that did not involve touching in some form, even in the smallest or simplest of ways. It was a nice change from the slightly awkward friendship they had had before they got together, before Frank gathered up some courage and asked Mikey out on a date.

"We should get going now. My mom wants us to stop by for a coffee when we get home, remember?" Frank says softly, and earns a peck on his lips and a caress from Mikey's hand, the one with a silver wedding band on it.

"Yeah, I remember." Mikey nods and reaches up to scratch the back of his head. "We can go in a minute. I just gotta piss first." They let go of their warm embrace, and Frank watches as Mikey's body disappears into the trees. Mikey doesn't go far in, and Frank can easily make out the contour of Mikey's body through the green leaves and branches of the trees and bushes.

When Mikey returns, they sit back down in the car with Frank in the driver's seat, and continue their journey home. Mikey puts on the first CD he can find in the glove compartment, and it happens to be a mixed CD of ballads and other soft music that Frank made a few years ago. The first song is Angels by Robbie Williams, a personal favorite of Frank's, so of course it's on the CD. He hums along to the chorus, but when the song ends, he turns the CD off again, because Mikey has fallen asleep and he doesn't want to wake him up.

Mikey is slumped to the side with his head resting against the window so that Frank can't see his face, but he doesn't need to see it to know that there is a troubled look on Mikey's sleeping face. Some days, or nights, it's worse than others and he can even hear Mikey murmuring and whining softly in his sleep as he dreams about god knows what. He's of course tried to talk to Mikey about it, but he won't say a word about it. Only that he can never remember what he dreams, but Frank doesn't believe that. He doesn't push too much or too far too often, though, afraid to have it end like it did four years ago. He just tries to have faith in that Mikey will tell him some day.

He keeps driving in silence along the peaceful road, tall trees still surrounding both sides of the road and the car. He wishes he didn't have to drive, because he's just as tired as Mikey, but he didn't get to sleep at all before when Mikey was driving, which he regrets. He knows that it's only for another few hours, though, and he hopes that Mikey will wake up soon, so he'll at least be able to talk to him, or put on the radio again. Driving in silence is just too boring.

Mikey does wake up around an hour later, bleary eyed and yawning as he looks up at the surroundings that are just the same as before he fell asleep, although they are different trees. They've driven past fields, farms and a few small lakes, small gatherings of trees and then into this new forest. Driving on these small country roads is hardly entertaining, but they both find it to be rather relaxing, compared to speeding down the highway in a hundred miles per hour.

"Did you sleep well?" Frank asks and Mikey rubs his eyes sleepily, groaning something that sounds like a 'yes' as he stretches his sleeping limbs as much as he can, which isn't a lot. Frank smiles at his husband's cute actions and reaches out to grasp Mikey's hand. Mikey leans over to kiss Frank on the corner of his mouth, but Frank turns his head to capture Mikey's lips completely, keeping a steady hand on the steering wheel.

"Are we there yet?" Mikey mumbles seconds later, as they break the kiss, and Frank returns his full attention to the car and the road, one hand on the gearstick and one on the wheel. Frank watches from the corner of his eye how Mikey reclines in his chair, looking as if he is going to pass out again, for the rest of the ride this time, and sighs almost inaudibly.

"No, there's at least an hour and a half to go." Frank turns to look at Mikey again, his warm brown eyes still foggy from sleep, and ready to drift off again. Mikey nods, giving Frank a small, sleepy smile before his eyes suddenly flicker to the road where a deer has just appeared out of nowhere.

"Frank, look out!" Mikey exclaims as Frank is still looking at him. He immediately steps on the break, but they're too close to the big animal, and the deer has frozen on the spot in the middle of the road. He spins the wheel to try and avoid collision, but fails to stay on the asphalt, and instead of hitting the deer, they crash into a large tree on the side of the road, Mikey's side first.

Before Frank is able to reflect over what just happened, he feels a throbbing ache in his head, and everything goes black.

"Do you wanna go out with me?" Frank looks up shyly at the taller boy, feeling more awkward than ever around Mikey. There's a hesitant look in the eyes that are hidden behind thick glasses, but a smile breaks out on his small lips nevertheless.

"Sure."

*

"You wanna come in?" Frank smiles hopefully, bright eyes meeting Mikey's as he takes a step closer, fumbling slightly to take Mikey's hand.

"I should go home," Mikey whispers, but they kiss, right there on Frank's porch. It starts out slow and careful, fingers and hands tentatively finding their ways to grasp hair or caress cheeks or wrap around waists, but before they know it, their tongues are a tangled mess and light moans drift from one mouth to the other.

"Stay," Frank breathes against Mikey's lips as they break away.

*

"Can I tell you something, Frank?" Mikey asks, lying on his bed and staring up at the ceiling, as Frank sits further down the bed, Mikey's legs stretched out over his lap. It's been a little over six months since Frank first asked him out, a little over six months since they first kissed and spent the night together, but to Frank it feels as if it's been forever.

"Of course you can." Frank smiles and looks at Mikey, mindlessly running his hand up and down Mikey's leg, from his foot, which was covered in a worn out sock, to his knee. Mikey is wearing jeans, skinny of course because anything too big would look ludicrous on his stick-figure body. An old, faded Misfits t-shirt covers his upper body, and his glasses are sliding down his nose. That's how Frank will always remember Mikey.

"I love you," Mikey says softly, and sits up. Frank's lips are on his almost immediately, and they both grin widely.

"I knew it," Frank mumbles against Mikey's lips as they continue kissing. "I love you too."

*

"I noticed that they have finally finished the reparation work on the rest of the building since the fire," Frank says quietly to break the silence that's hovered over them since they exited the supermarket. Being with Mikey, and talking to him, used to be easy, but since Mikey had mysteriously disappeared the same weekend as there was a fire in his apartment, nothing has been easy.

"Yeah," Mikey sighs, looking down at his hands as Frank drove them back to Mikey's apartment. Frank sighs heavily in reply to Mikey's apathy, and neither man says anything until they're back in Mikey's kitchen which has been the witness to many of their arguments for the past month.

"Are you ever going to tell me what the fuck you were doing that weekend?" Frank asks, even though he knows what reply he is going to get. It's how all of their fights and arguments begin, and even though Frank hates that it is like this, he needs to know what Mikey isn't telling him. The only reason Frank can see for Mikey not to tell him the truth, is if he had been cheating on him, but Mikey says that's not it and he really wants to believe that.

"How many fucking times do I have to tell you? I can't tell you where I was. Can't you just forget about it?" Mikey snaps, glaring at Frank, who more than ever hates that he always feels so small when Mikey is angry, due to their difference in height.

"Can't you just fucking get over yourself and tell me the truth?" Frank shoots back, his eyes dark as two pieces of charcoal. "You won't even give me a solid reason for why you can't tell me. If you're cheating on me then fucking say so, and I'll be out of here." Tears are forming in his eyes, because he knows that for the first time he actually means that. He's said it multiple times before, but he didn't ever intend to leave Mikey.

"Frank, you know that's not true. I haven't cheated on you, I love you." Mikey leans down and kisses Frank hard on the lips. Normally, this would evolve into some kind of make up sex, and most likely one of them crying, but Frank couldn't give in to that, not today.

"I love you too," Frank whispers, lips still touching Mikey's. "But if I can't trust you, and you won't trust me, then this isn't going to work." A few tears roll down his cheeks. "I can't do this anymore. We should just end it before it gets any worse." He steps away from Mikey, freeing himself of the loose grip on his arms.

"Frank, don't..." Tears are welling up in Mikey's eyes, and flowing down his cheeks, and no matter how much it breaks Frank's heart to see, he knows it's the right thing to do. "Please, we can still try. I love you, I don't want this to... I don't wanna lose you," Mikey cries, reaching a hand out to cup Frank's cheek.

"You already have. It's over, Mikey."

*

"I guess I should go home now," Frank sighs before yawning sleepily and standing up from his seat on the couch. Mikey stands up as well, too close for it not to be awkward, and then leads the way out into the hallway. Frank sits down to put on his shoes, and he can feel Mikey watching from where he is leaning on the wall. When he stands up, his eyes meet Mikey's, and as if he's coming from out of nowhere, Mikey's suddenly standing close to him and leaning in to kiss him.

He's surprised by the action, but kisses back anyway. It's been a long time since he last kissed Mikey properly, even if it was only a week since he kissed Mikey goodbye after their small argument. His hands come up to Mikey's shoulders and neck, gently curling in the soft hair at the back of his head. His lips part mindlessly, to let Mikey's tongue enter his mouth, deepening the kiss.

"I should go now," Frank says when they break apart, and for the first time in ages, he leaves Mikey's place with a smile on his face.

*

It's a warm, sunny day as they walk down the beach, hand in hand. They're barefoot, having left their shoes back in the car to not have to worry about getting sand in them, and they are just enjoying the last good days of the summer that had been mostly rainy. Frank's happy as he squeezes Mikey's hand, swinging it slightly between their bodies, which makes Mikey laugh.

They stop to kiss one another occasionally, before finally sitting down together to watch the sunset. Frank lies down with his head in Mikey's lap, smiling up at his boyfriend's face, knowing that he wants to feel this way for the rest of his life. "You make me happier than anyone or anything ever has before. You know that, right?"

"Yeah, I know." Mikey grins, twirling Frank's dark brown locks around his fingers, and looking out over the glistening ocean. Frank reaches above his head and grasps one of Mikey's hands, holding it firmly as he, too, looks up at the setting sun.

Minutes later, Mikey looks back down at Frank again, a loving smile playing on his lips. He looks from Frank's relaxed and smiling face, to their linked hands, to the silver ring on his ring finger. Frank feels him withdraw his hand in shock, bringing it to his face to study it, making sure it's not a hallucination of some sort. Sitting up, he takes Mikey's hand in his own again, and smiling shyly, just like he did when he first asked Mikey out, he whispers: "Will you marry me?"

He watches as Mikey just looks at him silently, and then at the ring, and back to Frank. There are tears in his eyes as he smiles and finally replies. "Yeah, yes I will."

*

"Mikey?" Frank enters their bedroom, and is surprised to see Mikey sitting on the edge of the bed with his back towards the door. He gets no reply at first, as Mikey seems to be lost deep within his thoughts, looking down at something in his hands. "Mikey, what are you doing? I thought you were going to your mom's?" Mikey still doesn't seem to be listening, and Frank crawls over the bed to wrap his arms around his shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" Mikey snaps, shrugging Frank off of himself.

"What are you doing?" Frank asks quietly, sitting down next to Mikey. They never got mad at each other for no reason, so he didn't like not knowing what Mikey was upset about.

"I'm sorry, Frank," Mikey says, sounding guilty as he wraps an arm around Frank's back, putting away whatever was in his hands on the other side of him so Frank can't see. "I was just thinking, and I wanted to be alone." Frank leans into his chest as he presses a soft kiss on top of his dark hair.

"Thinking about what? You're not having second thoughts, are you?"

Mikey removes his arm from around Frank, and gently grasps his face in his hands, and the amount of guilt in his eyes only increases as he sees the sadness in Frank's. "No, I don't have second thoughts about marrying you." He kisses Frank's nose. "I'm just nervous. Cold feet, or whatever."

"I'd rub them for you if you want me to," Frank whispers and earns a tender kiss on the lips.

"How about you just hold me and keep me warm instead?" Mikey says, a slightly uncertain look in his eyes.

"Any time."

*

They're in a small room, just big enough to fit all the people in there. It's darkly furnished, but brightly lit, and it matches the smiling faces of the two men stood in the front of the room.

It's embarrassing, but Frank has pretty much zoned out. He is not aware of what the minister is saying, or if it's his or Mikey's turn to repeat it, but right at that moment it doesn't seem to matter much. He'd be happy just looking at Mikey like this for the rest of his life. He looks so happy, and beautiful, with tears of happiness in his eyes as he chokes out an "I do."

It's Frank's turn now, then. He takes a deep breath, almost gulping it down, and then he starts repeating the words that Mikey has already said. Their eyes meet, their hands are laced, and Frank's heart is beating more violently than ever before. And it's all thanks to Mikey, because Frank is so in love with him.


His head is throbbing as he regains consciousness, and the bright daylight burns his eyes, so he clamps them shut. Something warm is trickling down his face, and without checking he assumes that it's blood. When he can finally force his eyes open without going completely blind, he puts his hands on the steering wheel and slowly pushes himself up from the way he was lying over it.

He feels dizzy as soon as he sits upright, and he has to fight the urge to throw up. Then, he suddenly gets his brain back and looks over to the left where Mikey had previously been, where Mikey is supposed to still be. Instead, there's an empty, glass covered seat, a completely messed up car door and a branch of the tree they had hit, sticking in through the broken window. The end of it is covered in blood.

"Mikey!" he shouts and whips his head around, and a wave of nausea washes over him. Suppressing it with his own need to find Mikey, to know that he is alright, he opens his door that's perfectly fine, and stumbles out. His sense of balance is completely gone, so he resorts to crawling on all four over the mossy ground, crying out 'Mikey' every other second. He couldn't see clearly because his head was hurting so much, and the blood that was dripping from a cut on his forehead, fell into his eyes so he had to constantly blink them away. That's why he didn't realize what he was seeing at first.

It was Mikey. Skinny jeans, vans and a tight t-shirt, it was unmistakably Mikey. But... kneeling next to him was...

It wasn't real. Frank had hit his head harder than he thought, he was not seeing what he thought he was seeing. It doesn't exist; he doesn't believe in such things, he never did. He wasn't a part of that world, so how could this being be a part of his world? It wasn't real.

But what if it was? What if it really was an angel, and it was here for a reason? Why would an angel just appear in the middle of nowhere? Mikey was hurt. Mikey could even be dying. Was the angel there to take him?

He forces himself to stand up on his feet, and slowly but surely, he makes his way closer to the winged creature and Mikey. It didn't seem to notice him coming closer, because it didn't look up, only watching Mikey. It didn't look like angels were described in the Bible. It had black hair, pale skin, a bare torso and dark pants. The wings were gigantic, larger than Frank could imagine any bird having, and they were glistening in the few rays of sun that peeked in through the leaves.

"S-stay a-away from him," he stutters when he reaches them, looking down at Mikey's pale face and bloody shirt. There's blood on the angel's hands too. It looks up at him, and Frank takes a step back, shocked by its face. The eyes are black, the irises looking as if they were drowned by the pupil, and tears are pouring down its face, dripping off of his chin onto Mikey.

"Don't take him, please," Frank cries, pleading with the angel's eyes. "I need him, he can't die." He falls to his knees next to Mikey,on the opposite side of the angel, and takes one of Mikey's hands in his own. "Don't take him." He reaches out and strokes Mikey's hair out of his face.

"I don't want to take him," the angel says, looking back down at Mikey, who suddenly opens his eyes to look at the angel. "I was supposed to save him," it whispers weakly, leaning down to press its tear-stained face against Mikey's neck. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Mikey."

Mikey coughs, hissing in pain as he tries to speak. "It's okay, G- Gerard." The angel pulls back so it can look into Mikey's eyes, and fresh floods of tears burst out of both pairs of eyes.

"Mikey?" Frank breathes almost inaudibly, but Mikey hears him and diverts his gaze to look at him. Once their eyes meet, Frank can't control himself anymore. Heavy sobs break out through his chest, tears pouring out of his eyes and mingling with the blood from his wound. The angel moves away, and Frank leans closer, cupping Mikey's head with both hands and pressing his quivering lips against Mikey's. "Don't leave me. You know I can't live without you."

"It's too late," the angel's dark voice speaks from behind him.

"No, we- We can call 911, and they'll come, they'll save him!" Frank argues, turning away from Mikey for just a second.

"It's too late, Frank. They won't make it here in time," the angel says, and Frank sees in Mikey's eyes that it's true. He could just as well already be dead. In a way, Frank wishes he was, because then he'd at least not have to feel any pain. "He's not in pain." Frank feels a warm hand on his shoulder, but wishes it would just go away. Not only is that thing reading his mind, but it's ruining Frank's last moments with his husband.

"Do you mind? I'd like to be alone with him," Frank says as politely as he can to the angel as he removes the hand from his shoulder. He doesn't take his gaze away from Mikey, though. He doesn't even blink as fresh tears emerges from his eyes, but lets his gaze wander up and down over Mikey's fading body. When he returns to Mikey's face, he realizes that Mikey's looking at the angel.

"I'll go," it says with its dark, velvety voice, but Mikey protests, to Frank's big surprise.

"Stay, please," Mikey gasps, a sheen of sweat breaking out on his brow. Frank doesn't say anything, but accepts it and looks from his husband to the angel, and back again. There's something there, between the two, but Frank isn't sure he can put his finger on what. He recognizes the look in Mikey's dark eyes, and the angel's black eyes are completely transformed from the black pearls they were before. When it looks at Mikey, its eyes glow golden, or like an ember in a dying fire.

When the angel takes Mikey's hand in his own and kisses it tenderly, Frank identifies it as love, but he doesn't understand where it all came from. Frank doesn't know how long he was out for, but he knows it wasn't that long. Feelings like that wouldn't have come from out of nowhere in that short time.

"You've met before," Frank says, slowly piecing it all together.

Mikey looks at him and opens his mouth to speak, but no words come out. Instead, the angel speaks. "I pulled him out of the fire. Then I had to take him away to let him heal properly. We're not supposed to show ourselves, but I had no choice. I told him not to tell anyone." Frank nods thoughtfully, and before he gets to voice his next question, the angel continues. "That's not the only time. I couldn't help but to drop in if he ever needed me." It reaches out to run a hand through Mikey's hair, and he smiles lovingly at it.

Frank doesn't reply, and nothing else is said until Mikey speaks a few minutes later. "I'm cold." His lips are turning blue, and he's even paler than before, as blood is still seeping out through the wound in his stomach.

"I'll get a blanket," Frank offers, but before he can get up, Mikey speaks again.

"No. Gerard... Hold me." He's too tired to hold his eyelids up, but he manages to turn his head towards the angel, and it nods. Moving closer, it sits down so it can take Mikey in its arms, letting his body lie in between its outstretched legs. Mikey sighs, snuggling in and squirming to get impossibly closer, and all Frank can do is to helplessly watch. Mikey's head is nuzzled against the angel's neck, under it's chin.

He can hear the angel whisper a desperate "I love you," and then Mikey gasping out one in return.

Several minutes of only watching Mikey and the angel pass, until Mikey croaks out Frank's name, and he crawls closer. The angel lets go of Mikey for a little bit, and Frank wraps his arms around his husband's broken body, as the angel wraps his arms around them both, before covering them with the huge wings. He feels the incredible heat surging through the angel's body and into his own, but he also feels Mikey's quickly decreasing body temperature, and he knows that nothing can help him.

"I love you, Frank," Mikey sighs, head pressed against Frank's chest.

"I love you," Frank cries as sobs shake his body. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I'm sorry." He hugs Mikey's body as close as he can, gently rocking him back and forth as tears spill out of his eyes and into Mikey's hair. "I love you, I love you so much. I'll never forget you, I promise."

Frank can feel Mikey's tears soaking his shirt, and he tries to soothe him the best he can, gently running his hands through his hair and up and down his back, and just holding him firmly against his chest. He feels Mikey's shaky and unsteady breathing underneath his hands, feels how hard Mikey is fighting for every breath he takes.

"I love you... both," is the last thing he says, mumbling it into Frank's shirt, and even if it's slightly muffled, both Frank and the angel hear it clearly.

He stops breathing a minute later.

Frank chokes on a scream mixed with a sob, crushing Mikey's cold body against his chest, crying into Mikey's hair again, as the angel's heavy tears fall over him. It starts raining. The angel holds both Frank and Mikey closer, shielding them from the downpour with its wings, but Frank accepts having the tears falling all over him, and presses into the angel's warm body.

"I don't want to be an angel anymore," the angel cries, face hidden in Frank's hair.

"Why? Can't you go to heaven, or whatever, to see him? I'd give anything to have that," Frank whispers.

"I have a hundred years left to serve as an angel. I can't go to heaven until I'm done." The angel's dark voice is completely apathetic. "I don't want to do this. I don't want to protect anyone but Mikey."

Frank doesn't reply to that, but zones out as he buries his face into Mikey's hair. He falls asleep like that, crying and hurting, but feeling warm and safe in the angel's arms.

When he wakes up, he's curled around Mikey's stiff body and still crying. The angel is nowhere to be seen, and it has stopped raining.

He knows that he should get up off of the ground, that he should call an ambulance, or at least get out to the road in case there are any passing cars that might notice him. But he doesn't move. He's hurting too much, and nothing feels important anymore. He might just as well lie there until someone finds them.

Maybe an angel will lead their way, like someone sent from heaven.
♠ ♠ ♠
6.026 words.

It breaks my heart that this is over. It was so amazing to write, and I am so proud of it.
Thank you for reading, subscribing and, to those who have, commenting.
This last chapter was incredibly difficult to write, and it just broke my heart, so I'd be so happy if you'd all leave a comment. It's all I ask.
<3